Smart Car of America Forum banner

Punished!

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SD30 
#1 ·
Here's a question, are the panels black underneath the paint? I just bought this car and there are a few black spots which actually seemed to get a little larger while under the spray gun. I knew the panels were toasted before I purchased but if the paint has worn to nothing I'm going to need a plan B. Buff n polish ain't gonna do it.

The second photo is the Punisher Death Skull. The paint where the skull was is near perfect and the rest is an oxidized nightmare. It looks like one of the previous owners used some kind of compound but it's really hard to tell.

See less See more
#3 ·
You might just start looking for new panels...

#5 ·
For 451s, metallic panels are generally molded black and painted. Solid colors are generally molded in color. In your case, it looks like your panels are molded black and painted.

I can't tell what color your panels are supposed to be, but it appears your paint has deteriorated to the point where your spray gun is removing it.

Best fix is new panels, but if you're skilled enough you could probably do a cheap spray gun paint job.

#8 ·
I'm going to give plastidip a whirl. It's definitely the lowest possible cost to handle the problem, easiest stuff to deal with and the smart cars actually look good in it. The one's done right anyways. Check out this video, the guy did a 453 in matte red and black and it came out tremendous. He's obviously a pro but I think I can pull it off with his awesome video to prop me up.

#9 ·
Well I started messing around with the plasti-dip. I did the hood and the tailgate in red and they came out pretty well. Each piece took much more plast-dip than expected, 5 cans for each, ten coats to actually make them look good. I really blew it with the doors today one of the cans must have been bad because I got a really rough texture about 3 coats in. What really blew it was the rubber on the top of the door from the window. Taping it off wasn't enough as it dries so quick it ripped the plast-dip at the top of both doors.

I took off the door handles and the rubber pulls right out easy peasy. I'm going to give it another whirl tomorrow. I'm just going to do what I need to to make the car livable. The two doors and the hood will do just fine.

Tips for people in the future that want to plastidip their smarts.

Don't do it with the cans. You have to stop using the cans 3/4 of the way through or they start spitting out gunk. It would have been cheaper just buying the spray gun and the gallons.

Remove the door handles and the rubber strip so you can just whiz through the doors.

It looks much better than I thought it would, not sure it'll last forever but que sera sera.

#10 · (Edited)
I know I'll be lambasted for saying Harbor Freight
But buy yourself a Harbor Freight 10 gallon compressor $150 plus tax you'll need a regulator, condensation collector and a cheap to medium grade paint gun. I don't know what else but I'm sure somebody add to it.
Check out the reviews of Harbor Freight paint guns they aren't too bad you aren't looking for a Concours paint job. But you will get a better job then any rattle can.
At the price you can throw the paint gun away after the job put the compressor with regulator and condensation collector
on Craigslist $145 and make back alot of your money. And have a better job than any rattle can job.

#12 ·
I'm happy with how the plastidip came out so I'm just going to leave it for now. Eventually I'll run into a good deal on panels and just replace them all. The Harbor Freight suggestion is a good one, there's a couple of videos on Youtube demonstrating the abilities of the $18 spray gun.