Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you have problems with your Smart in Costa Rica it's not so Beachy at all................ANYONE could tell me where I can get a rebuilt turbo for my 99 Pulse Smart? Im having a real problem with my engine and I will probably need other parts as well.

Im new to site and would love some advise from any pros out there

Let's see if here is where I see the light !! LOL
:D

SMARTASS IN COSTA RICA

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry, I cannot help you with your problem but welcome you to the SCOA anyway.
I know RVGRINGO has a 450 and lives in Mexico, so he may know of some sources there. There are several other 450s here as well, so maybe they will chime in shortly and offer a little more help than I can.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Might try one of the UK forums or eBay UK as well, and maybe a PM to Evilution for his ideas. Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Bull8042

:) Hi there, Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yeah, I don't have it easy here in C.R. with my adorable Smart, we bought it used and last year with the help of a couple of friends who brought me spare parts from Spain, I still have problems with the mechanics here in Costa Rica for the lack of information available.

Our local Mercedes Benz dealer has not signed up for the (Smart) package from the factory since there must be only about 20 in the country. There is a private dealer that has brought a few used ones with spare parts, he sells 99 and 01's for about $15K.

We've had two different mechanic shops work with it and our now third mechanic says that each has left it worst each time they've touched it.

This mechanic is starting from scratch, has taken the engine off and is working on it with a different approach. He's almost a Cuban type of mechanic working out of his house/garage not like those others that only asked for new parts to replace.

I recently was able to pass ( smog inspection ) which was only able to do by changing the ( catalizador ?) not sure how to say in english but it's a part before the exhaust pipe, we put the old one back so not to ruin this new piece since it cost $200 once fixed ( someday ) we can replace the new part to car.

I love my little Smart, I only wish it would work properly.

It's been over a year since I've had problems but I wont give up, my biggest problem other than the contaminating exhaust that the Catalizador has taken care of is the first gear, it starts out really slow then it goes ok, but for now, it wont even go now. (downhill runs great:cool: ) LOL

Well, if anyone has any advise...........I would really appreciate it !!

Will keep you all posted

Fabiola ( NOT SUCH A SMARTASS AFTER ALL):rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts