Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm anticipating looking at a 2014 EQ with 10k miles.
Private party who says it is running well. Older couple who has owned for a few years. Asking $6500.

Hard to gauge prices from autotrader, etc. But suspect that is more of a dealer price. Any suggestion on a buyer friendly but still fair price to offer??

I would ask to get prepurchase check by local mercedes dealer (Bethesda Maryland) who sold electrics. I've read about bricked batteries. Is there something special to ask for in an inspection?

Or if there is a feeling that 2014 is too old now, please do let me know...

Paul

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,040 Posts
Welcome to SCoA.

MY14 would be an ED not an EQ?

One owner, service records showing Annual Service? Original 12V? Location, garaged, two key fobs?

Would be a good start for an Internet tire kicking!

·
Registered
80 Posts
That seems about right to me. I paid more for a 2013 but the Cabriolets seem to be rare. Have the owner charge it up before you visit and make a note of the range on the display. Also note the temperature. In summer I can almost get 70 miles range, on a cold winter day barely 52. On average here in North Carolina I see an indicated range of 62, which is about what the EPA gave it back in 2013.

As "MB DNA" alluded to, the only real Achilles Heel to the cars is if you let them sit too long and the 12V battery runs down, then the big battery drains itself to death for some reason. Like he said, you would want to check the 12V battery after you buy the car and replace if at all questionable.

I have had no issues with my 2013, except that the GPS became erratic and I upgraded to a modern unit. The smart has a standard-sized "double DIN" space in the dash, so there are many options.

When you test drive, be sure to press the pedal to the floor at some point to see what 100% power feels like. You shouldn't for it for more than a few seconds but it makes for an exciting drive while you merge or blast up a hill!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the start here, folks.
Ok. So called ED3, right?

Now in maryland for two years. I can get a Carfax for some earlier history.

I guess the dealer would run an internal check on battery to see all cells are good?

I've attached a few pictures seller sent.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
I'd certainly ask for a copy of the battery test. There are several threads here showing the results of battery tests, so you can get an idea of what the numbers ought to be. There also was an update in about 2016 that the dealer should at least check for and getting it updated should be a no cost thing. I agree with posts above about seeing some service records and seriously consider replacing the 12v battery if it is the original. We absolutely love our two electrics.

Len
2014 EC Coupe 21,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 22,000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke to the tech at mercedes dealer. Seemed helpful guy. He indicated their computer test didn't do (or maybe doesn't show) tests of all the individual battery cells.

Here is the thread I found about battery test printouts. Is there anything in particular I should say about the test I want?

Tech also indicated was a big deal whether the dessicant had been changed regularly. Seemed like there still could be some warranty if they have record of service in their computer.

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
The Ah numbers are probably most important. They ought to be around 50 Ah. My son builds a battery test unit that several owners here use. It will allow you to test your battery yourself and get more readings than you ever expected. It would be nice if you could borrow one from an owner and take it with you when you see the car. Where in MD are you?

Next is to make sure the 2016 computer update has been applied.

Desiccant change is a five minute DIY job. All you need is a 14mm Allen wrench and if you just change out the beads, the cost is only a few bucks. Warranty is likely up on your car, so the desiccant service is likely moot, but if you buy the car, I'd certainly change it if you don't know when it was done last. It's an every two year maintenance item.

Once again, make sure the 12v battery is not the original.

Attached is a test report from a Mercedes dealer.

Len
2014 EC Coupe 21,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 22,000 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much, Len.
Very helpful. I'm thinking all the numbers at the bottom of that report are extraneous?
I'm in Bethesda, right outside DC.
If you have a tester available, maybe I could buy-depending on the investment needed. If this car didn't pan out would prob keep looking...
Paul

·
Registered
173 Posts
One thing that I think you want to check is to ensure that the Battery Management software revision has been updated to 2014/18/0 (or later, but that's the latest I've seen). This is output by the test unit that is on its way to you.
If that software is the older 2012/35/1 (unlikely for this car) or 2013/29/1 (likely what this car shipped with), those seem to be at higher risk of the car bricking itself if the 12V battery fails.

Those software updates are free from the dealer (I think) and if you're near a dealer who can do the update, I'd 100% update to Battery SW: 2014/18/0.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Price is high. I paid $6200 four years ago for a used 2014 that had 16,000 miles on it at the time...and that was from a dealer.
My 14ED currently has almost 50k miles by the way. Zero issues. Recently changed the 12v battery. They are very fun cars to drive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Had 2014 Smart ED , was leasing this vehicle. No issues except heating system is weak, my mistake was not getting heated seats. Range in winter ~ 45miles depends on temperature. Car had better traction in snow, then my ICE version, however ICE did not have snow tires. One big improvement would be DC fast current charging capability, like I have with 2014 BMW I3. Check on tires condition, both my Smarts & I3 seams to need new tires, before 20K miles interval.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,040 Posts
No issues except heating system is weak, my mistake was not getting heated seats.

Range in winter ~ 45miles depends on temperature.

Check on tires condition, both my Smarts & I3 seams to need new tires, before 20K miles interval.
Amplifying on your ED observations, here are my thoughts...

Heating system is not so much weak as the catalytic heater is an energy hog. And yes, bun warmers (heated seats) should have been standard on all ED’s as they provide a much more efficient source of immediate heat.

Range degradation in winter and comfort level can be improved by using the precondition @ departure feature.

Drive tire wear on EV’s is not uncommon with the increased torque and the subtle change in driver behavior at “launch.”

smart ICE is fun, smart ED is even more FUN!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Smart ED has better weight distribution then ICE type, and battery location is low and between front & rear wheels. This helps with cross winds at high speed driving on freeways. Wonder if there was 453 electric version of Smarts in USA?
Got to drive 453 w/stick from Westminster MB dealership, model was wider, handled better than 451 and had bigger access panel on back of car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It took Smart Mercedes longer than one would think to ditch the ED (Erectile Disfunction) and rename it EQ :ROFLMAO:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts