Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We are considering a 2014 with 42,000 KM that we can purchase for around $8,000 versus a 2018 with around 15,000 KM for $15,000. Any significant downsides to purchasing the 2014, in terms of features/tech, performance, battery life, etc? Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Batteries are not like fine wine, they don't get better with age.
Buy the newer vehicle. But offer $10,000 to start. If you have inspected the car.
You maybe surprised. Otherwise negotiate from there.
There is no such thing as a lowball offer.
It's just the first price in a negotiation.
That being said I always negotiate face-to-face. After inspecting the item that's for sale.
I never make an offer online or over the phone sight unseen. It may very well be worth the price they're asking or it may not be.
Take a hard look at the Chevy Bolt as an alternative.

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
76 Posts
One downside to the newer car is that fewer Mercedes dealers may be willing to service them. The one I use in St Charles, IL only will work on the EDs not the EQs. Make sure you know where your nearest option for repair is (either Mercedes or a shop that works on electric cars) before buying either.

If at all possible get a report on the state of the battery as well. Dealers who work on the cars or someone with a tool that reads the data can pull the data from the car. There are threads on here about a tool that one of the users here has made and sells (I bought one, it is very useful to have for these cars). Not sure if it works with the EQ thought.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
169 Posts
Those prices CAD? I saw an 18 here for about 12k USD, but bought a 17 for 9k USD recently instead. From what I looked at, the 453 ED/EQ is a much nicer car in most ways.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
But a shorter range?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Yes as the batteries age and with more charging cycles there will be less performance ie mileage available.
Newer with warranty.
How much is it to replace an out of warranty traction battery?
This isn't like a chevy Bolt where service is everywhere.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Yes as the batteries age and with more charging cycles there will be less performance ie mileage available.
Newer with warranty.
How much is it to replace an out of warranty traction battery?
This isn't like a chevy Bolt where service is everywhere.
Oops. I meant the newer one has a rated shorter range, ie. Monroney/EPA estimate? (Which annoyed the heck out of me if I remembered that correctly).

Sadly haven't seemed to find a replacement battery. Although a local "friend" on PriusChat was willing to help me out. (I quote friend because we've never met in person)...

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
169 Posts
I'm not sure there is any range difference. Mine constantly says 82 miles at 100 charge, but we only drive around town at under 40 mph.

Battery price I have seen quoted was $10k. More than I paid for the 453.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know nothing about electric cars, but would advise going for the 453 (2018 model), as suspension is more comfortable, it has power steering on all 453's unlike the previous 451, and cabin is larger than previous models. ( I have a 453 petrol Cabrio).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The 453 does not have a shorter range. It just appears that way because the mileage measurement rules were changed between the two model years.
Jeb Baker thank you for clearing that up.
One would expect equally or better mileage with a new model not less. That's not a very good sales incentive.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
One would expect equally or better mileage with a new model not less. That's not a very good sales incentive.
Yes, it wasn’t a very popular decision about not increasing range, even if it was just a tad. Their insistence on the smart being just a “city” car.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I tried to research this some more. If Wikipedia is correct both ED3 and 4th gen have a 17.6 kW battery. They can't possibly both have the same MPGe being of different shape/size/heft.

A little more digging:

ED4 124/94 MPGe
ED3 122/93 MPGe

Hmmm. Better engine efficiency?....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sold my 2013 pure and bought a 2016 prime gas engine, much nicer vehicle no comparison between the two. If anyone is interested I have a few oem smart accessories for sale for the 451 model, already listed in the marketplace section. Earl

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Sold my 2013 pure and bought a 2016 prime gas engine, much nicer vehicle no comparison between the two. If anyone is interested I have a few oem smart accessories for sale for the 451 model. Earl
Earl, list the items under the market place section of the forum.

congrats, on you new ride.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sold my 2013 pure and bought a 2016 prime gas engine, much nicer vehicle no comparison between the two. If anyone is interested I have a few oem smart accessories for sale for the 451 model. Earl
Exactly other than the name there is no comparison. The 453 is about 70% Renault.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts