Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a little road trip solo in Cotterpin. Went back to western Kentucky from the Baltimore area for Thanksgiving. Drove out over 2 days.

1st day (Monday) got me to eastern Ky where I stayed the night at Carter Caves State Resort Park. Most of that trip I was driving into the wind with the temps through western MD and WV around 14-19* per the dash.

2nd day (Tuesday) I drove to Barkley Lakes Sate Resort Park in western KY. Mostly rain and headwinds. Temps in mid 30*s.

Spent Wednesday and Thursday visiting family.

Friday I drove home. I figured I would take 2 days to get home but was feeling so good I drove straight through. 13 hours door step to door step almost 900 miles. I only stopped for restroom breaks, gas, grab a sandwich for the road.

I've done this trip many times over the last 30 years in many different vehicles. I gotta say driving Cotterpin was a blast. After 13 straight hours I had NO numb butt from the seat and was actually feeling good. The Smart was comfortable. She had no problem running 75+mph avg for the whole trip up and down mountains. Most of this trip is up, down back and forth through the mountains or western MD, WV, eastern KY.
Gas mileage went from a low of 34.5 (my worst yet) to a high of 43.7mpg.
Overall I was way impressed with the car. Very comfortable. I did notice a little wind wander behind big tanker trucks ect with a dirty slipstream. But it wasn't a real concern. I always had passing power if needed. Even up hill.

I saw no other Smarts the whole week. I did notice one pretty copper colored IQ and a couple of Fiat 500's.

I did get quite a few questions at stops along the way. Much more than is normal for me. Everyone was nice and respectful.

So much for you can't drive a Smart on the interstate!:p:)

·
Super Moderator
11,222 Posts
Oh MAN!! now everybody will be doing it... (just Kidding)

Been driving mine on the interstate every day, 113,000 miles so far... Back in the day, I was almost run off the road a few times by fools trying to drive and take a picture of my car doing 70 MPH. and watch out for trucks dropping stones, they break the windshield (and make a lot of noise when they hit)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,080 Posts
Yep, that's a nice jaunt through the mountains. :) I'm usually headed to the DE shore from central WV when driving that route. I agree the smart seats are good for long hauls and the Area 451 CC saves with the throttle foot.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I totally agree with the OP as to his long distance driving experiences. Our smart cars are our favorite long distance driving cars & I find myself staying much more alert & comfortable during the drive. The only thing I would add is that I really enjoy the MDC cruise control I have on our 08 Passion for long trips.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I'd add a pic from the trip. I didn't take many as I was busy rolling. This is Cotterpin outside a cottage I stayed in a Carter Caves Sate Resort Park in Ky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts