·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) long term lives?
2) structural strengths?
3) durabilities?

4) your preference?
5) 'pure' past or future owner preference?
6) preference in cool mid-west, no air conditioner?

thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally I would have to go with the panoramic roof. I have no clue about heat and such but there is a shade and I watched a video on youtube that had a demo of a guy on a bike bouncing on his back wheel on the panoramic roof so I imagine it is very strong.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
As I recall of that video, it was the plain black, ribbed roof that is a standard feature of all "pure"s, regardless of color. Anyway, there was some information that the panoramic roof was re-done in poly-carbonate (exceptionally strong stuff) to meet U.S. requirements.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The smart international English language brochure describes the solid roof thus: "The black plastic roof with a textured surface finish is particularly robust".

I think the robustness applies equally to the panoramic roof:

And if I ever catch someone doing this to my smart, they better be able to pedal fast! :mad:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Personally I don't like the textured surface idea, because that type of finish tends to show dirt badly and can be hard to clean.

Plastic is good though. Where I live, we can get severe hail storms (the golf ball sized stuff). Plastic panels are completely impervious to that kind of treatment, whereas a steel roof will end up with hundreds of tiny dimples.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The pure roof is a solid black ribbed plastic while the option is a clear, tinted polycarbonate. Both are extremely strong and are a structural component of the car. The cabrio actually has a heavier, stronger tridion to make up for the lack of a roof. The solid roof may be a little quieter inside as it has a full headliner.

The clear roof is like riding in a climate controled convertable without the wind and noise. It is particularly interesting in the rain, hail and snow. I highly reccomend it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
No More Ribs?

I notice that several folks have refered to the solid roof as ribbed. I know that the solid roof on the 450 had ribs on it, but on the 451 these appear to have been eliminated.

Take a look at this page from the international website. You will need to click on the arrow at the left of the film strip, then hover your mouse over the picture of the roof to see the full-size image:

http://www.smart.com/-snm-0135207688-1191740152-0000030074-0000000002-1192254925-enm-view/pure/mpc-en_en_EN_EUR_urn:uuid:7df80f3e-16bf-579e-bdbd-b6d27cdd58ba

·
Registered
564 Posts
Panoramic Roof is Hard Coated

This is a follow up to an earlier article about the polycarbonate roof. It contains one additional piece of information, namely that the roof panel is silicone hard-coated. It looks as if this is some kind of scratch resistant finish that is added to the polycarbonate:

http://www.openpr.com/news/31312/Largest-ever-panoramic-roof-module-made-of-silicone-hardcoated-polycarbonate-for-new-smart-fortwo-roof.html

I was a little concerned about how the panoramic roof would stand up to daily wear and tear, since clear plastics tend to scratch easily and can end up looking pretty ratty after a while. Hopefully the hard-coating process will reduce that problem.

·
Read Only
11 Posts
Part Number and cost to replace roof?

Does anyone know the cost and part number for the roof? I have a 2009 Fortwo Passion Coupe, bought it used. It looks like the roof is delaminated cause you see a sparkly appearance looking through it. Just wondering how much it would cost to replace it? Thanks for any clues.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Personally I don't like the textured surface idea, because that type of finish tends to show dirt badly and can be hard to clean.
The roof does not get any dirtier than the rest of the car. No issue with cleaning it either.

Much cooler in the summer compared to my 450 glass roofed sauna.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Not any worse than the rest of the car, easy to clean. It might even show less dirt since it is not a glossy finnish.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Does anyone know the cost and part number for the roof? I have a 2009 Fortwo Passion Coupe, bought it used. It looks like the roof is delaminated cause you see a sparkly appearance looking through it. Just wondering how much it would cost to replace it? Thanks for any clues.
Welcome to SCoA! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts