Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With no options, the pure presents a clean, uncluttered, light weight efficiency.

Instead of a smart clear roof, the std solid roof gives lots of cool shade while driving.

No power windows, means less weight. Manual windows will work forever.

The two items still pondering, is the air and clear roof.

Passing on the fully loaded Cabrio (and its higher sales taxes), for this pure, would leave $7,056 (only $4,697 difference if air is allowed on both, and compared to a base silver tridion cabrio. hmm.) extra after tax earnings cash.

The pure gray interior, would be a good neutral, soil hiding, and pleasing for years to come. the pure gray interior advantage extends to blending well with a later date exterior panel color purchase.

Tempting. At $11,765, plus tax, destination, registration.

Anti-thief good looking turbo wheel covers.

Uncluttered efficiency and reliability.

'pure smart'.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mr Cash,

A couple of considerations:

The clear roof comes with a built in blind on the 451, easily operated with one hand from the driver's seat. So no additional heat build up in the summer, but perhaps useful solar gain in the winter?

Air conditioning does have a negative impact on gas mileage, but only when you're using it. Where I live I would only use it maybe three months of the year, but I'd hate to do without it during those three months. Not having A/C might also hurt eventual resale price?

The additonal (dash top) insturments are an extra cost option on the Pure, Passion and Cabrio, so no advantage or disadvantage there.

Electrically adjustable mirrors get used the day you pick up the car from the dealer, and that's pretty much it. On the other hand, heated mirrors are very useful in cold and snowy winter climates. The mirrors on the Passion are both electrically adjustable and heated.

Manual windows are fine, except you can't easily roll the passenger window up and down from the driver's seat (well, at least I can't without swerving all over the road).

In my experience, those plastic wheel trims always end up falling off, cracking or getting stolen at some point (this may be due to carelessness or bad luck on my part).

The Passion comes with the three-spoke steering wheel, which looks nicer than the two-spoker on the Pure (IMHO). You also get the paddle shifters, which are fun to use but not essential.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm with the Cash man. My Pure will have black Tridion, A/C and Radio/CD. That's it. I don't need the bells and whistles. I'll prolly add rims later. If I had $17k to spend I wouldn't be buying a Smart Car. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm with the Cash man. My Pure will have black Tridion, A/C and Radio/CD. That's it. I don't need the bells and whistles. I'll prolly add rims later. If I had $17k to spend I wouldn't be buying a Smart Car. :)
what could you buy for $17 that would be this cool. mines going to have it all and then some. I can't wait \ I want it now :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well Mr. Cash, there is alot of merrit to what you say.
If I may offer a few things to think about.
The A/C is a personal choice, I like it and use it all the time.
As mentioned above, the clear roof is great. It does have a full shade if the sun bothers you but in any other situation the panoramic view is really a joy. You mention that you live in an area of cooler climate so the shade may not be as important as the beautiful view. It really is kind of neat in the rain also. The current 450 smart sliding shade only covers 1/2 of the roof whereas the new 451 shade will cover the entire roof when neeed.
The power windows are also a personal choice. I don't think there has been any issues with power window failure so not really a problem either way.
The current radio is marginal at best. I am not sure if you ordered your smart without a radio, that there would be any speakers in the car. With the current smart, the radio upgrade seems to have more value in the additional speakers provided than the radio itself.
As for the tachometer and clock, I find myself using the tach all the time. With the radio on and the windows open or the A/C-heater fan on, it's very difficult to hear the engine for shifting. It is not difficult to be driving happily along in a lower gear than desired, a quick glance at the tach reminds you to grab another gear. The clock is much easier on my older eyes than the small readouts on most radios. Besides I think they look neat sittin up there on the dash.
The electric mirriors don't mean much to me but the heated mirrors are really nice in inclement weather.
As for the wheels, again a personal choice. Steel wheels will hold a tire as well as an alloy wheel in normal circumstances and I don't think the weight difference would be noticeable in the fuel economy. I don't believe theft is a big issue as I don't think these wheels will fit on anything else at this time. Not really a hot item at the midnight auto supply.
Again just my thoughts on a few things to think about.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
what could you buy for $17 that would be this cool. mines going to have it all and then some. I can't wait \ I want it now :eek:
Don't get me wrong because I wouldn't buy my Smarty if I didn't like it. But the Honda Civic, Saturn Quad coupe, Volkswagen Rabbit, Dodge Caliber, Chevy Cobalt to name a few. but NOTHING matches the Fortwo for bang for your buck and I am on a Limited budget. I share your impatience, I want my Smarty NOW! :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks - I didn't realize the tachometer wasn't included. I don't drive manuals that often, but I always relied on them for determining when to shift.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'll be a Pure purchaser too. The whole charm of the Smart to me is its minimalist concept so for me the Pure is the one.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm even considering leaving out the a/c. On my Neon it's been broken for two seasons and I really don't miss it. I work without a/c all day so I'm conditioned. I can install an aftermarket radio/cd/MP3 myself. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, those were some really long posts!!!;)

Here is what I have to say after reading all of that....do what you want.

But, I do think I should tell you that if your running a serpentine style belt on you current car, with no freon in the compressor, you are going to burn up the compressor if you select defrost. I say this because most car's automatically turn on the compressor for evaporation in the defrost mode, so running the compressor when you don't have any freon, means you also are running it "dry" with no lubrication....it will eventually sieze and throw the belt.

Just a warning....don't use the defrost mode.

·
Registered
564 Posts
...i'm leaning to the white/silver pure, with the clear roof, all standard features, and no further extra cost options...
I hope you removed that silver/silver/red cabrio picture from your computer desktop.

Wouldn't want it to cause any impure thoughts....:D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Now you have me thinking about it. My previous car had manual windows, and it wasn't a big deal. Aside from the choice of color for the interior and lack of additional instruments, there doesn't seem to be that much that you can't just add (for less) on the Pure.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Now you have me thinking about it. My previous car had manual windows, and it wasn't a big deal. Aside from the choice of color for the interior and lack of additional instruments, there doesn't seem to be that much that you can't just add (for less) on the Pure.
You'll have a hard time adding the leather seats for less (and they include all the rest of the options as a package)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Get the good stuff!

Mr Cash.

This car will end up to be a real collectable.

Part of the resale value will be in having all the original equipment.

Wal-mart/China radios and after market add-ons won't get it.

With the cheap prices Smart is charging for the goodies, you will get your money back, and then some, at resale time.

Go all OEM and you will win in the long run, and not have to screw around installing that stuff.

Just MO.
A2jack.

·
Registered
931 Posts
"the smart's largest polycarbonate clear roof on a vehicle ever, looks like a good idea." - Mr_Cash

My read on the Pure is that the option is for a GLASS roof with screen, with the standard having a solid roof.

Additionally going with the Pure negates having the paddles. When I test drive I'll determine how important the paddles would be to me.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Well...
Those were certainly interesting and thought provoking exchanges from many above. Got my conservative side thinking also....but I'm gonna stick with my original choices of the Passion mostly for resale reasons as the first one will be replaced in due time by the PHEV model when it comes out.
Some pretty good points and counterpoints, though, to keep our thought processes moving forward.

·
Registered
564 Posts
...My read on the Pure is that the option is for a GLASS roof with screen, with the standard having a solid roof...
There is only one kind of clear roof available on the 451 smart and it's made of polycarbonate. It's standard on the passion and optional on the pure.

(confusion may have arisen because some sources have misquoted "clear" as "glass").

1 - 20 of 21 Posts