Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new Red Prime 453 3 weeks ago. Had to wait 2 months to get red directly from the Factory. It's been a long wait since this is a replacement to my wife's 2008 that was totaled after she was rear ended at 45. Came through with just a bruise from the seat frame on the back of her arm...Info for those who might be interested.

Anyhow, the push to talk button on the steering wheel does not work, so we took it back to the dealer. The dealer said that it is a factory upgrade/option for the voice recognition. Now, I just went and scoured the website and did not find a single thing mentioning either the voice recognition or any options available. Not a peep in the owner's manual. We do have the standard radio, as I didn't want to pay $500 to lose the storage in the hatch. Can anyone chime in here and give me some input of whether or not I'm the only one with a button on the steering wheel of a new car that doesn't work, with a dealer that says I'm S.O.L.?

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,708 Posts
...a dealer that says I'm S.O.L.?
Say it isn't so - 2015 and smart Customer Service remains suspect? :rolleyes:

Hardly seems "smart" to have a "non-functional" push to talk button on the steering wheel? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well, last night I was reading about that button in the owner's manual of my 2013. I haven't yet paired the radio to my iPhone so I can't say yet if it works or not. May do so later today and will report back. I suspect your dealer doesn't have a clue and is giving you erroneous info.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's the skinny on the 2016. That was put in for the Multi-Media Package which was dropped because of the 'non-existant' (as of yet) Cross Connect app that allows you 90% of the features of the Multi-Media Package for free (sort of hard to compete with that in a 'built in' system). The Android version is finally out, but nothing yet for the I-phone. Launch just keeps getting pushed back...

The word from the 'Learning Center' in Long Beach in August, was that the Multi Media Package "might be offered in 2017." I somehow doubt it, with the new smart prices a bit of a 'knee jerk' to the consumer already.

So, your button has no function...

·
Mike700
93 Posts
My wife's phone is paired with the radio via Bluetooth but the "push to talk" button on the steering wheel still does not work so I have no idea what its purpose is since it is totally nonfunctional.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My wife's phone is paired with the radio via Bluetooth but the "push to talk" button on the steering wheel still does not work so I have no idea what its purpose is since it is totally nonfunctional.

Look UP ^^^ One post above yours! :nerd:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the skinny on the 2016. That was put in for the Multi-Media Package which was dropped because of the 'non-existant' (as of yet) Cross Connect app that allows you 90% of the features of the Multi-Media Package for free (sort of hard to compete with that in a 'built in' system). The Android version is finally out, but nothing yet for the I-phone. Launch just keeps getting pushed back...

The word from the 'Learning Center' in Long Beach in August, was that the Multi Media Package "might be offered in 2017." I somehow doubt it, with the new smart prices a bit of a 'knee jerk' to the consumer already.

So, your button has no function...

As much as I hate to say it, this makes sense. Sounds like I've bought a $20K car that hasn't completed beta testing yet, nor dealer training. Then again, this isn't the first time that Ive felt snuffed by the Mercedes dealer network for tying up the service department's time with a "gasp" Smart car!

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the touch screen here in Canada and have the same problem with the voice command. When I depress the 'talk' button it reads ''Currently selected voice is not supported''.
I've placed a call to Smart Head Office and I'm awaiting an answer.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, this makes sense. Sounds like I've bought a $20K car that hasn't completed beta testing yet, nor dealer training. Then again, this isn't the first time that Ive felt snuffed by the Mercedes dealer network for tying up the service department's time with a "gasp" Smart car!

Thanks for the reply.
I sold a smart car with the multimedia package, and the voice control button worked! I am kicking myself though because I sold it without taking video of it, but it did work.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. I know I took some pictures of it. Matter of fact, I did shoot a video. Maybe I'll edit it tonight when I get home...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I sold a smart car with the multimedia package, and the voice control button worked! I am kicking myself though because I sold it without taking video of it, but it did work.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. I know I took some pictures of it. Matter of fact, I did shoot a video. Maybe I'll edit it tonight when I get home...

Your lucky. I ordered the 1st run cars with it and they were silently deleted from the cars along the way...

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Your lucky. I ordered the 1st run cars with it and they were silently deleted from the cars along the way...
I know, I was lucky enough to have one slip through the cracks. It's a really really nice unit, but let's be honest folks. It's still ~$1800 additional, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you pair your phone?
Yes... Paired with the smart Audio-System and plugged into the cradle. The system detects that the App is present (appears as [APP] on the screen before the media source), so believe the phone is properly paired/connected, but no response from voice control button.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have downloaded the Cross Connect App for iPhone, but have not had any luck using/activating voice control. Any suggestions?

OK, I'll bite. Since it's not in the Apple App Store yet, where did you download it? :shrug:

Edit: Never mind. It is on the App Store! YAY!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Since it's not in the Apple App Store yet, where did you download it? :shrug:

Edit: Never mind. It is on the App Store! YAY!!!

Wow. Ten minutes with the app and does everything as promised. All you need is a 4"or 6" lighting charge cord and you can plug right into the phone cradle to charge your phone!

If you have a 2016 Smart, DOWN LOAD IT NOW!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow. Ten minutes with the app and does everything as promised. All you need is a 4"or 6" lighting charge cord and you can plug right into the phone cradle to charge your phone!

If you have a 2016 Smart, DOWN LOAD IT NOW!
Yep, just returned from garage playing with the App for a few minutes. Walmart sells a very short cord for iPhones for a few dollars. Also believe they are available on eBay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts