Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped my engine out for a new one with 30k miles on it. My old Smart engine had 150k miles on it. Everything was running smooth for about three months when yesterday I broke the alt/water pump belt. Luckily I was only a few miles from home and it was 50° and rainy. I limped it back without any issues ….atleast I thought. I got the new belt and installed it this morning. Took it for a test drive down the street. Ran great. When I stopped and restarted it the cooling fan came on within a few minutes. I checked the reservoir and it was a bit low so topped it off. Started it again and the cooling fans came on almost instantly. Got my scan tool out and check live date temp was at 240° F. Worries I shut it down and will try and burb the cooling system tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Most likely, you have a bubble of air stuck in your coolant system. There is a hose at the top of the engine that is used to “burp” the coolant.

Kane has an excellent write-up, but you will need a subscription to access:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely, you have a bubble of air stuck in your coolant system. There is a hose at the top of the engine that is used to “burp” the coolant.

Kane has an excellent write-up, but you will need a subscription to access:

Thanks , That’s what I was thinking. Going to burp the system by jacking the front end up. Going to drain oil also tomorrow to verify I don’t have a blown head gasket .I’m becoming a pro working in smarties after I swapped the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts