Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of the lighting elements on the ED are incandescents. Including the interior dome light, taillights, etc. Has anyone replaced these with LED bulbs?

Anything to be cautious of?

I know it probably isn't a matter of saving a lot energy, but using available efficient technologies.

·
Premium Member
7,596 Posts
True but banditpdx may have been asking this more from being a new Ed owner rather than ICE experience?

EV - brave new world he has entered into . . .

For an incremental spend of another hundred bucks or so during the build, odd that smart didn't outfit Ed with more modern electronics to include LEDs?

Still sitting by the phone waiting for that call from smartUSA asking for an owner's opinion . . .

·
Registered
271 Posts
[/SIZE]For an incremental spend of another hundred bucks or so during the build, odd that smart didn't outfit Ed with more modern electronics to include LEDs?

I am surprised also. I am going to do a few upgrades myself. I just did LED driving lights and will prolly do some ambient lighting.

Years ago I upgraded the tailights on a Toyota Highlander and those expensive lights interfered with the TPS signals and I was getting warning messages. Still looking for a place to use them.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The lighting and console all run off the 12v battery under the floor board of the passenger seat, as do a few other components (fans, pumps, lighter, radio, etc). If that wears down under use, it will pull from the high-voltage pack as needed, but generally it doesn't. There's also a trickle-charger built into the system to charge the 12v battery while connected to the charger.

So, this won't save you mileage on a drive at all, since the odds of depleting the battery on one trip is nearly impossible (short of leaving lights on while parked, etc). But it may reduce the cost of electric in general, since it's still pulling that out of the wall to recharge the 12v system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Old thread, but has any ED owner replaced to stock projector lights with led bulbs? Even if it only pulls from the 12 volt, that energy isn't free. It ultimately comes off the total available power. If you changed them, any perks? Any Regrets?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I put these in my 451 ED:

However I would not recommend it. Installation was difficult, the cover protecting the headlight from moisture and dirt cannot be used (heat sink and driver too bulky) and the beam quality was poor with light spread out. I'll probably go back to halogen bulbs soon. Note that a retrofitted LED saves little energy becasue they need a dummy load resistor to make the car's diagnostics "think" a normal incandescent bulb is present.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks, I was wondering about the dummy load resistor. Thank you so much for the real world feed back!
Of course, if the car was designed for using LED's to begin with then the energy savings would count for something - all those 5 to 35 to 55 watt bulbs add up.

I did replace the dome, back up, side and front marker, center brake, and license plate bulbs with LED's from superbright LED's and they work well. Note that the festoon bulb that Superbright LED's specified was not the correct length. Measure the old one and find a matching one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts