Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received mostly good news today. I have a production build on my 453 Cabriolet! Unfortunately the news was mixed. There were three differences between what I ordered and what I an scheduled to receive.

1) The Tachometer is now included. V31 (Oddly, I am told that this is now a required part of the Prime package, yet they still add an additional cost for this item.)
2) The Park Assist is not included in the build, but was included of the original order.
3) The build now includes "O1R Steering Code with Wheel."

Discussion and questions:

I know this tach is popular, and I appreciate this, but I loathe it personally. It makes little sense to me with an automatic transmission. I don't want or need an analog clock, and it takes up dash space while blocking vision a little.

The dealer will remove this for me. This will leave a circle of dash material (plastic?) on the dash where the tach once sat. Does this patch exist on cars ordered without the tach? (I seem to recall some have installed a tach on a 451 after purchase. This suggests that a spot is there already for adding it. Is this so for the 453?)

2) I'm told that factory has changed the buyers guide, and that *no* 2017 453's were ever available with the Rear Assist Parking. Anyone who has a 2017 with Rear Park Assist? Anyone with a 2017 Cab with Rear Park Assist?

3) I can find no information on what the "O1R Steering Code with Wheel" is. The dealer isn't precisely sure either. Anyone know?

I like my sales rep (Smart Manager, Indianapolis, Tyler Shoup,) and I suspect he'll work with me on these issues. I'll let you know how things go, but I suspect I will recommend him highly to those who ask. I can't do that, of course, until the process is complete. Another 6 - 8 weeks, I suspect, for delivery. But I need information to discuss these issue further with him. All help is appreciated!

One more thing. I suppose the tach will still belong to me. I see no reason to keep it, particularly if the dealer compensates me a little for the promised Rear Parking Assist. However, I wonder if the part would have resale value on this forum if he does not agree to some small compensation and I keep the part I don't want. Anyone know this? (I trust him, for now, and anticipate none of the above will be a deal breaker.)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
When I ordered my 451 my salesman went over the ordering with me on his computer. All the available options were there for me to see, and he selected all the ones I wished to get. Once selected, and then entered, the system would tell him which option codes were not available, and why. For example, I don't think I could get fog lights with LED DRLs. Once everything was okay, the "order" went through and he printed me a detailed sheet of what was going to be on the car...... (No surprises. Everything there did come with the car...)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, jzchen. This information is very much appreciated! I'm pleased you had a great experience in your purchase as well. My first Smart buy was a great experience, and this one has been mostly excellent, and I am aware that should be cautious about being overly demanding of businesses I deal with.

When the order was made all requested features were accepted by the system without problems. But the 453 is still a fairly new car, and I get the impression they are making small changes frequently, often for reasons unexplained, and that these changes can take place after the car is ordered. (I don't know if Smart is more or less open than other car manufacturers, but I do find their lack of openness troubling. For instance, consider the gas tank fiasco that has long loyal customers and active forum participants like stevenvillatoro ready to sell his Smart and buy another brand.)

If my dealer is being honest, and I suspect he is, they have decided to remove the Rear Park Assist without explanation. Is it a safety issue? Questioning the market for the feature in the US? I do not anticipate this feature will appear on my car if it is not listed on the final build sheet.

I would still like to know if some deliveries were made; if someone else in the States is expecting the Rear Park Assist and hasn't received their build; if anyone else has received their build with this item removed from their order.

And I would like to know from someone with a 2017 Smart with no tachometer if there is a circle on the dash where one can add this feature later.

And of course, what is the O1R feature? A web search revealed nothing.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
If someone can give me the VIN of a 453, I can look up the data card to see if O1R is listed and what it is. It is not shown on my 451 data card.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
So I decided to find an online listing for a 453, and use the VIN.

I did not find code "O1R", but did find "01R" which is ALUMINUM WHEELS 15"........

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Okay, did a little more digging.

Park Assist is called Parktronic in Mercedes lingo, and it is code 220 per EPC
02R is ALUMINUM WHEELS 16" per EPC, and 01R is not there when 02R is, so I'm assuming this is correct, that is they relate to the wheels.
V31 is important for the automatic, because included with the 453 are paddle shifters for you to manually shift if you wish.
Unless yours strangely doesn't have 428 STEERING WHEEL SHIFT BUTTONS/GEARSHIFT PADDLES
V31 is listed as COCKPIT CLOCK AND TACHOMETER/AMMETER PACKAGE (I'm hoping you change your mind about trying to delete them...)

I have not seen a VIN that lists option 220 yet. I had to toggle the Datacard SA check box to find the Parktronic part and code....

I hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts