Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some rubber lug nut covers from smart Madness and they were inexpensive and look great, but am worried they may Come off while driving . Has anyone used these before and did you use anything to secure them from falling off. I was thinking a dab of rubber cement before I put on the cap. I am just afraid of not getting them off If I glue them on. Also what do people use to take them off? they fit into the lug hole and you can’t pull them off with your finger. I see eBay sells caps for the larger 17” lugs and give you a plastic tool to remove them. Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I've used both the softer rubber-ish lug covers, and hard plastic ones. The hard plastic ones I have on my 453, and they came with a plastic tool, kind of like a key cap puller for a keyboard, to pull them off. The rubbery ones I got when I had my 451 did not come with a tool, but as far as I remember were easy enough to pull off with a small pliers or something if the sort.

As far as them falling off, haven't lost a single one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would think if the rubber caps were too hard to remove with just your fingers they would stay on without any added glue. Besides the last thing I'd want to be doing is fiddling around trying to remove the caps when you're changing a tire.
Personality I like the chrome lug bolts I swapped out on my smart and have not looked back.
20201017_074954_Film1.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have used the same soft rubber caps for 11years, on my 2008 and 2013 smart451. Push on/pull off.
Haven't lost a lug cap yet. I keep a small/cheap needlenose pliers in the car just to
remove the lug caps..............................

·
Registered
899 Posts
I do mine from a tip by a user very early in this forum. Went to lowes, got some 12 pcs of plastic chair leg ends, trimmed them a bit and painted them (if you don't like black). Cheep-cheep. Lose them? Buy more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The later lug bolt kits had a removal tool. You can get them off with a small screw driver or pliers. I have had them on my 08 Passion for years and never lost one. I take them off once in awhile to clean them. The person who put together these covers no longer supplies them.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
I bought some, from a guy on this forum. Since they did fit the lug bolt tightly. Water and salt seeped under them, in the winter time. Rusted the lug bolt heads. They never fell off. Off to the trash with them. A worthless mod.

The chrome covered ones look a lot better, then the plastic nipple ones.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thank you I like my chrome bolts too, but theya little on the pricey side to replace all 12 bolts with the chrome ones. One of these days I'll get better looking center caps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer, I bought the 17mm spacers for my 453 and after a Winter in Wisconsin and the Chrome was gone after the salt brine bath.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer, I bought the 17mm spacers for my 453 and after a Winter in Wisconsin and the Chrome was gone after the salt brine bath.
Cheap chrome? I spent 40 years in Northern Illinois where in the wintertime the State Police believe there are less accidents on roads dried with salt than wet roads.
I owned 30 plus cars while living there, (I'm up to around 40+ now, one for 17 years and resold it to its original owner.) never had a problem with chrome flaking off lug nuts, bumpers rusting out quarters, rockers and through the top of the fender of my 70 Challenger right next to the turn indicator. But never the lug nuts.
Who remembers Chrysler's left handed lug nuts?
I still take chrome over plastic caps or the ugly OEM's any day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 69 Charger has left handed thread lug nuts on the left side of the vehicle. The wheel studs have a letter 'L' stamped in the center. I think the purpose was to keep the lug nuts from loosening up with wheel rotation in case they were not properly tightened. I can't remember if my 48 DeSoto had left hand threaded lug bolts on the driver's side of the car.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My 69 Charger has left handed thread lug nuts on the left side of the vehicle. The wheel studs have a letter 'L' stamped in the center. I think the purpose was to keep the lug nuts from loosening up with wheel rotation in case they were not properly tightened. I can't remember if my 48 DeSoto had left hand threaded lug bolts on the driver's side of the car.
:) yep

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
I remember that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts