Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 fortwo passion. I had seen on some genuine part websites that the panoramic roof panels are on sale. I called the nearest Mercedes service center to get a quote on installation. The service guy said he could get me a quote, but he recommended against making the change. He said they get a lot of complaints about the noise level with the panoramic sunroofs with cracking sound noises on turns, etc. He also said there have been leakage issues. He said much the same on Merecedes models as well.

I know he rarely seeks smart cars (they no longer carry them). I am wondering what those who actually have the panoramic sunroofs think? Is there increased road noise? Any other strange sounds at times? Leakage? Do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Brent Craig
Hartselle, AL

·
17,372 Posts
Welcome to SCoA!!! :D

I've never heard of the issues he speaks of. I get cracking noises, but they sure aren't coming from the roof. As for noise, yeah the "solid" roof version has an extra layer of insulation between the roof and interior with the headliner and that'll drown out some noise. However, I think the difference in noise between solid and panoramic is negligible, if you even notice.

Side note: Sometimes it's best to take what the dealers say with a grain of salt. Back in the earlier days of smart in the USA, I used to quiz the service writers and sales people on how much they actually know about the car and unsurprisingly to me, the answer is often "not much".

·
17,372 Posts
I've always wanted to do that one to my 451! I'm so scared to give it a shot. :)

That mod might be a little messy for the 453s since the solid roof models have a special headliner that would have to be cut and maybe blended into the new sunroof, but I suppose a competent shop can handle that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the input! I will think I will get quotes from a couple of local body shops guys. There is a roof piece and then a headliner for it, too. Both total are a little over $1,000. I would hope the labor is not too much.

Brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this panoramic top designed primarily for the cabriolet? That is to say, is it more or less 'plug and play' for the cab, or does it require modification of the car.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Is this panoramic top designed primarily for the cabriolet? That is to say, is it more or less 'plug and play' for the cab, or does it require modification of the car.
I believe the panoramic top was primarily designed for the coupe. The cabriolet roof and windshield designs are totality different than the coupe. Very little if anything is exchangeable between the coupe and cabriolet above the beltline.

:smartje.bl.zl:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called a local body shop guy and asked for a quote. He researched it and called me back a few days later. He said it was his understanding it would be a major ordeal to switch from a standard roof to the panoramic. He said while the panoramic roof is attached primarily with adhesive, the standard roof is welded on.

Does anyone know if that is correct? Just looking at the standard roof (that I have), it looks removable. (I am talking about the 453, 2016 model).

Brent

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I had my panoramic roof replaced on my 2009 by the dealer about 2 years ago. I never have had a leak or a popping noise from the roof. They use a special Mercedes branded glue, and I'm not positive, but I think they send all this sort of work out to some shop in SF. The car is finally garaged all the time, so hopefully I won't need to do this again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts