Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found something kind of wonky with the brakes which I suspect is probably normal in that, I'm doing something wrong and one of you auto geeks might be able to explain to me. This issue is this:

If I'm parallel parking and trying to inch in/out of a space (you know, a few inches up,cut the wheel, a few inches back, etc.), the brakes will sometimes groan and lock up. Why is this and what can I do differently to get in and out of the space?

Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have found something kind of wonky with the brakes which I suspect is probably normal in that, I'm doing something wrong and one of you auto geeks might be able to explain to me. This issue is this:

If I'm parallel parking and trying to inch in/out of a space (you know, a few inches up,cut the wheel, a few inches back, etc.), the brakes will sometimes groan and lock up. Why is this and what can I do differently to get in and out of the space?

Thanks.
How many miles on the car (or brakes if they have been serviced)? And can you determine whether it is the front or rear groaning?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less than 10000 miles, and I'm pretty sure it is all front end. It is almost as if the hill assist is kicking in but I'm not on a hill

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The 'Hill Assist' always kicks in and it doesn't care if you are on a hill or not. When I first start out in the morning, especially after a high humidity or raining night, my brakes have what they call flash rust on them and make noise. It disappears after the first time I apply the brakes.
Not to say you might have a problem or not, but if you are concerned, it is best to have it checked out, especially on a system as critical as brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts