Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity I've been looking at electric Smarts on the websites of the 2 dealers "near" me. All I've seen are options for leasing, is that normal? (I hate the idea of leasing a car - I buy them and drive 'em 'till the wheels fall off so as to get my money's worth).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There are dealerships that offer them for sale. There is also a third option to check out, the buy/lease option, where you buy the car and lease the battery pack ("Battery Assurance Plus"). Be sure to look at all three and decide which is best for you.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
This is a question where YMMV is truly applicable.

Leasing is NOT generally embraced by those accustomed to buying and then driving into the sunset.

ED is a brave new world with a weak smart Center network, emerging battery technology, limited range impacted by weather extremes and a spotty public recharging infrastructure.

As Woody14619 suggests,for many an ED lease with the BAP rental can be the best option by which to try BEFORE you buy?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a better question for the dealerships than here.
I was just posing a general question, not worth going to the trouble of talking to a dealership about. I figured someone here would have some insight (and they did).

AND it just dawned on me that the closest dealer is so far away that IF I ever did get an electric Smart I wouldn't have the range to make a round trip to the dealer if the need ever arose. That's too bad, I could easily drive an electric to work every day with plenty of spare range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out of curiosity I've been looking at electric Smarts on the websites of the 2 dealers "near" me. All I've seen are options for leasing, is that normal? (I hate the idea of leasing a car - I buy them and drive 'em 'till the wheels fall off so as to get my money's worth).
I just bought an ED from MB of Bridgewater, NJ two weeks ago. Don't understand why anyone would lease and so not get the $7500 Federal Tax credit which brought the net cost to about $16.5K. I did not take the battery warrantee because it is included in the 4year/50K mile bumper to bumper warrantee. Only driven it a couple hundred miles so far bet getting 4.1 miles per kwh of charge. I got it because my wife wanted it but it is so much fun to drive she hardly gets the chance.

Joe from Northern New Jersey

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just bought an ED from MB of Bridgewater, NJ two weeks ago. Don't understand why anyone would lease and so not get the $7500 Federal Tax credit which brought the net cost to about $16.5K. I did not take the battery warrantee because it is included in the 4year/50K mile bumper to bumper warrantee. Only driven it a couple hundred miles so far bet getting 4.1 miles per kwh of charge. I got it because my wife wanted it but it is so much fun to drive she hardly gets the chance.

Joe from Northern New Jersey
The lease is ridiculously low cost for an electric or even a hybrid lease.

Other than smarts I typically would not be a fan of leasing either, but I love their lease cost for gas and electric smarts alike :]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts