Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I hit a pot hole, or any other road bump and the sound is deafening, the bump is jarring, and my teeth chatter, I want to know only one thing:

Is this a short wheel base known funtion? No harm, no fowl.

Or will I be buying new wheels and tires ASAP?

Thanks!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
So, when I hit a pot hole, or any other road bump and the sound is deafening, the bump is jarring, and my teeth chatter, I want to know only one thing:

Thanks!

I don't think you'll suffer any real damage unless it's a serious hole, but a few suggestions would include...

1. Check tire pressures and make sure they're not too high.
2. Consider larger front wheels/tires for more 'cushion'. It won't make a huge difference, but it can 'take the edge off' harsh impacts.
3. Drive it like a go-cart and "slalom, baby, slalom!" to avoid holes! :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's not the BUMPS that you have to worry about...... it's the DIPS!! :>) The bumps you'll get used to, or learn to avoid (when possible), but if you hit a DIP that's just the right length/depth, you'll be needing to make a trip to your chiropractor! :>) Right after I got my car, I was just out riding on some country roads, and I hit a dip at about 50 mph. MAN! I felt it in my lower back for TWO days!! :>) Careful of those DIPS!!! :>) Don't worry, though, smarties are TUFF.....they can take it!! :>)

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If you're using 17" wheels that some try to find for the smart, you may need new wheels. Our 15" standards give a decent tire profile adding significant pneumatic cushioning to those jarring encounters. I had both right rims in my low-aspect-ratio tires on my Z4 roadster damaged (twice!) by an exposed bridge seam that presented an abrupt 2" step on a 55 mph highway. I think my Smart would have fared much better. A month after getting the wheels replaced when I spoke with the county, there were about 9 cars with the same reported encounter. Only 9!

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Smart is tough but not invincible

Do be careful of the big potholes. Not realizing one of my headlights had burnt out, I didn't one coming on an off ramp and hit it at about 45 mph. Needed a new rim and thought I'd need dental work too. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Big soft rides masking pot hole damage is just mechanical denial. Treat is as a lesson - do unto your ride, as your ride does unto you.
As to "no harm, no fowl" - I am not sure how birds figure into this...:think:, but after the "Hudson River Bird Strike", I think you have it backwards - No Fowl, No Harm...:p

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Large pot holes

Some DC pot holes are bigger and deeper than our Smarties! Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Bite your tongue can have a new meaning here...

I don't care what kind of car one drives, pot holes can only do harm.
When I lived in lower Westchester county in NY, I experienced some pretty bad roads and when a pot hole was hit the steering was sometimes even affected...permanently. Another alignment... was a bad woid to me
At that point when the pot hole is hit, you are shocked, angry at yourself for not seeing it... because you are usually on the ball and then get angry at the road maintenance people.
We had a choice to leave a rough neighborhood in NYC and move up to Vermont or Florida. We have other newly cropped up problems in Florida but that ice and snow business was over.
I feel and sympathize for all of you that experience these terrible roads. Florida is not immune however...for a particular road that I travel, I must choose the left lane to avoid a horrible bouncing and scary sound.
A lowered smart must really cause the occupants to cringe when rough roads are encountered...

·
17,360 Posts
Yes and so can Chicago's. The city actually established a hubcap lost n' found due to the thousands of cars that take the plunge into an obstacle course of pain. There's even pot holes on the expressway where at high speed your tires are toast.
And in the suburban areas, the roads are repaved or repaired like once every 20years (dramatization) so just getting to the store is a pain in the lower back area. And don't even ask about the ride to school, it's bad enough that half of the bus drivers can't even drive! Don't feel alone, come to Illinois and you'll notice what bones in your body are still in good condition.

As for the school bus drivers:
They would turn a corner and BAM! the bus would jump the curb, making its unprotected (no seatbelts) occupants fly out of their seats. And what's with parking in neutral? In my seventh grade year, my bus driver parked on a large hill in the school's parking lot in neutral then went to the back of the bus to yell at somebody. The bus started to roll backwards down the hill and the bus driver slowly made her way back to the driver's seat with no urgency. We ended up reversing into another bus that was behind us at about 10mph.

Ahhh, the roads are bad and the drivers probably shouldn't have a CDL. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts