Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really sure what it's called, but I have an alarm system on my Passion, that if I don't disarm it after I turn the power off it goes off with the slightest movement.. Is there an easy way to turn this off completely? Or...... make it less sensitive? Because right now, the wind blowing sets it off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been doing that, but when I unlock it to open the hatch in the back and then lock it back up it is armed again.... Is there a more permanent solution?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Is your car under warranty? Is it the factory alarm or an aftermarket unit?

The stock alarm should not be that sensitive, so if it is covered under warranty I would suggest bringing it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it is the stock alarm, it's the one that I disarm on the dash (when I remember). It goes off constantly if I don't disarm it... It's not under warranty, but I have a service plan through my dealership and I've only had it for 17 days. I guess I could call and talk to them about it. Your alarm isn't like that then?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
No, mine isn't nearly that sensitive. I've never had a false alarm and never had to disable the sensor on either my 2009 or 2012.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
There is a history of alarm problems. The system works fine when something is not broken. What you can turn off on the dash is an interior motion detector so you could leave your little dog in your car when you go for your coffee or whatever. More than a few early cars had problems with these sensors.

The system works fine when it is working correctly.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The alarm should not be that sensitive. When armed it can be set of by a door latch switch, even if the door is closed, if the switch is faulty. It can be set of by the interior motion sensor by a animal or somebody reaching into the car when it is locked and the windows are down. It can also be set off by the inclination sensor if there is a relatively rapid change in the vehicle attitude in a short period of time. It can also be activated by a loss of power to the alarm siren by way of the power back-up battery.

The quickest way to diagnose it is with a diagnostic tool that can read alarm system data to find which input set it off. Anything else is guess-work. Unfortunately, all modern vehicles are that way. Easy to diagnose from the front seat with the right scan tool but a right royal pain otherwise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help with this guys! I'll be taking it to the dealership to get the updates it needs and I'll be sure to ask them about this.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can help. if you want to disable your alarm you have whats called a "microwave sensor" right under the trim piece under your e-brake. take out the size 20 torx and life the trim piece. you can feel the sensor. its in a stirofoam housing. unplug the little connector and your alarm is disabled. hope this helps

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I can help. if you want to disable your alarm you have whats called a "microwave sensor" right under the trim piece under your e-brake. take out the size 20 torx and life the trim piece. you can feel the sensor. its in a stirofoam housing. unplug the little connector and your alarm is disabled. hope this helps
Hey John,

A stickie :D

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Weird Alarm Fix

Last week my alarm started going off while parked in my driveway. I'd shut it off, and 5-10 minutes later, it'd go off again. Only way to stop it was to turn off the inside sensor.

Then I had a flash. The day before, I had an 8 year old in the passenger seat. While we were driving with the top down, he opened a small pack of crackers with a cellophane wrapper. It got away from him, and I saw it blow down to the floor and go under the dash on the right side. I forgot about it.

After numerous alarms, I reached under the dash on the upper floorboard and retrieved the cellophane wrapper. No more alarm problems. I'm going to assume that a sensor is down there and the wrapper was blocking the sensor, causing it to be unstable. I don't see the wrapper moving, as the car was buttoned up tight during the alarms and the weather was calm.

So those with problems, check to see if that area is clear. Worth a try.

Uptown Dog Company

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
This was one of the many bugs in our brand new Jan 08. The alarm would go off in the middle of the night with no people or critters about.

The fix was to replace the sensor. No more problems going on four years now. :) A2Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was so happy to find this post so I tried it. You were right the sensor is in a styrofoam houseing. I unplugged the connector but the alarm still goes off when I lock the car. I really need to get this fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts