Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how high the drivers seat is above the street surface in inches? Is it like an American sedan or a Van/SUV when you get in?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Seat Height

If I think about my Subaru Outback, I would say that it is about the same seating height above the ground. You definitely don't drop into a hole. It is an easy entry and egress.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As I recall, it's about standard minivan height. Like fishrdnc said, it's not like dropping into a hole. Significantly higher than my past MINI or my TT.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The UK magazine Autocar has a nice cutaway diagram in their smart road test. Measuring from that I get a seat height of about 20 inches. I don't know how that compares to other vehicles, but when I sat in one I felt I was sitting fairly high. More minivan than sedan.

Here's a link to the diagram if you want to check it out:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsData/Smart-Fortwo-Passion-70/226718/

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Seat Height From Ground

This is pretty close. It was dark, but I'm pretty sure these numbers are right.
Driver's side seat, at front edge: 26"
at rear edge by seatback: 23"
Passenger's seat, at front edge: 27"
at rear edge by seatback: 24"

Keep in mind that this is the higher border area of the seats. You actually sit a bit lower in those seats.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
It's the first car I've seen where the seat is higher than my butt when standing (I'm 6'1""). The only vehicles I've had where where I have had to climb up into the car like this one was my '65 Landcruiser and my '90 full size GMC. It does seem about the same height as a mini van. I would much rather sit much lower in a small car as the center of gravity seems real high.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
More Interesting Measurements

I have too many cars and too much time.

Height of Town & Country Chrysler Minivan Seat (ground to front edge): 30"
Height of Honda Civic Seat (ground to front edge of seat) : 19"
Height of Smart Fortwo Seat (ground to front edge of seat) : 26"

Distance from back of drivers seat to lower portion of windshield, with drivers seat in semi reclined position (only position on smart), and in fully rear most position:

Town & Country: 60"
Honda Civic: 48"
Smart Fortwo: 60" (Yep!)

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I have too many cars and too much time.

Height of Town & Country Chrysler Minivan Seat (ground to front edge): 30"
Height of Honda Civic Seat (ground to front edge of seat) : 19"
Height of Smart Fortwo Seat (ground to front edge of seat) : 26"

Distance from back of drivers seat to lower portion of windshield, with drivers seat in semi reclined position (only position on smart), and in fully rear most position:

Town & Country: 60"
Honda Civic: 48"
Smart Fortwo: 60" (Yep!)

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

You know, it does kinda feel like a mini pickup truck without the bed.

·
Registered
564 Posts
A Question of Weight

rgaus,

Many thanks for your diligent research! My guestimate was based on where I thought my butt might end up, accounting for "give" in the cushion. This figure may of course vary depending on the butt :).

On the subject of wieght, can you shed some light on the wieght difference between old and new model smarts. I thought I'd seen a 500lbs increase quoted, but the manufacturer's specs indicate somewhere in the range 50 to 100 lbs. I realize this is not an exact science, since we're not comparing apples with apples based on equipment, engine, etc. Also, with the 450 the cabrio and coupe had (allegedly) the same curb wieght, but the 451 cabrio is quoted as 66 lbs heavier than the coupe.

Any insight would be appreciated....

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Vehicle Weight

Micronut,

I've seen various estimates on the weight of the new vehicle. You would think that the numbers coming from Smart would be accurate, but I've seen different numbers in different places, all seemingly attributed to smartUSA or smart. I've seen the 500# estimate on another dealer's "Converted Smart" website and I had even used that number for a period on our website. I've removed that after finding no verification. There are even estimates all over the board for our existing models. (I've seen everything from the high 1500's to the mid 1700's). I'm going to try to go to a couple of truck stops today and see if they'll weigh mine for me. That will be an accurate start if I get two to match. As far as the new ones, I'm not sure how to get a completely accurate figure until they can actually be weighed.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Accurate Weight for Mercedes Engine Smarts

Just got back from the city landfill. Pulled up on the scale and the attendant looked amazed at the size of the "dumping vehicle". She asked what I was going to discharge and I said "Me!". I got out of the car, stood on her platform and asked her for an exact weight of the smart car. Since the scales are licensed and monitored by the state, it was an accurate measurement. Here's the answer for all Mercedes engine coupes (2005/2006) in this country: 1640#. That included the can of sealant.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
564 Posts
Very resourceful!

This indicates to me that the manufacturer's numbers a probably quite realistic. For the 450 they quote 730 kgs = 1606 lbs. Add on a few pounds for a gallon or two of gas plus some non-base equipment (air, electric windows, etc.) and there you are.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Good points

Good points. Incidentally, I was empty on the gas. Immediately following the weighing, I added 8.45 gallons, so that weight was more realistic than I thought. I'd forgotten about the weight of the gas.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts