Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do so many people hate these little cars here in the states??? I mean the nasty looks we get like they just bit into a lemon !! I've never seen so many pissed off drivers in my life. We keep up with traffic we're in nobodys way. On the interstates we even pass the slower cars on the steep passes in the mountains of Co. If they look like their smiling their really laughing. I cant figure people out. I've never had so may folks just glare at us with distain on their faces..Do you suppose their pissed because we're not helping to make the oil companies rich ?? We really hate this kind of attention..We leased this new 2014 a few days ago and just love it. But this negative attention may cause us to turn it in at the end of the 3 year lease. I mean these folks look like they could pull us out of the car and beat the crap out of us. I never saw anything like it.OK thats my rant for the day.
Thanks for listening..:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I experienced the same disdain in the late 50s and 60s when driving imported cars. People are ignorant and it just takes time to absolve the dislike of these vehicles. It's your life so drive and enjoy the vehicle of your choice.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Question of the Day:

We experienced a little of what you describe when we drove to CO from CA for the smart car Nationals held in Westminster. We had a few people in Diesel Pick-up trucks and a couple of bob-tail trucks try to intimidate us by cutting off some of the smart cars in the caravan and then brake checking them. A really stupid and dangerous move on their part. I think that these driver's feel that our cars will be the future and that their polluting, fuel consuming pick-ups may be a thing of the past. We were amazed that medium duty and heavy duty tractor/trailer combination vehicles were traveling at 80 mph. on I-40. This is very dangerous as these vehicles will not be able to steer or stop. In CA, these vehicles are limited to 55 mph. I think the drivers of these vehicles just feel intimidated by our little cars as well as their lacking in intellect. I would just ignore them & try to stay out of their way. We find our smart cars fun and exciting to drive. Try joining the smart owner's group in CO & share some of your experiences.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Amy and I get this all the time just north of Cincinnati Ohio. I love to drive the smart but HATE to drive it to and from work. Rush hour traffic always gets my blood pressure up (I'm only 29). People cut over to cut you off and are normally not even clear of your front bumper so you have to slow down and then the a** behind you who was already to close gets closer. Few weeks ago I was on the way home and had a line of cars in front of me, look out my rear view and the person in the Honda behind me was so close the headlights were under my tailgate line. That's about two feet away from me running 55? I love the car and wont let other people force me to let her go. When I drive the truck I have no problems with people. You better bet every time I park the smart somewhere I worry about it getting messed with. The best part is I AM NEVER AT THE BEGINING OF A LINE OF SLOW CARS, ALWAYS LAST (stuck) :)

come on passing gear...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Comments like above have occurred frequently on the forum and, as indicated by one poster, aren't new. I experienced the same with my then new 1962 Beetle fifty years ago. One surprise to me was that here in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia I have had mostly positive experiences on the road. Yeah, maybe a couple times I have encountered a jerk but that can even happen if you are driving a Sherman tank. Unfortunately, the test for a driver's license doesn't check for intolerance and stupidity.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Perhaps small cars are better accepted here (Canada) ... but I just drive it like a normal car and seldom have any issues with other drivers. I've had the occasional other driver floor it to stay ahead (can't be overtaken by a smart, it's not allowed!) but it's never really caused a problem, and the discussion does remind me of something funny from just before the ice storm a couple weeks ago ...

On a local road that has a few bends in it separated by straights 1 - 2 km long, I caught up to a Ford F350 duallie pickup and overtook it without slowing down; I didn't really have to accelerate to do so, just maintain ~90 km/h instead of the truck's 60-ish. The driver floored it and stayed with me over the crest of a hill leading into a right-hander (yellow-sign speed 30 km/h) ... I went into the corner without slowing down. That right leads into an uphill left sweeper, which was taken pedal to the metal in 3rd with all four wheels scrambling for traction up the hill. Keep in mind that this is near triple the yellow-sign speed - at least two and a half times, allowing for speedo error. (On winter tires!) Crested the hill ... No more pickup truck in the mirror, and the driver gave up trying to keep up after that!

Our roads are filled with Yarises, Fits, 500s, Minis, etc.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Don't know what you're talking about, I've never had the kind of experiences you're talking about. I get thumbs up and smiles and good vibes from most people I see. Yes there are a few @$$holes out there but where aren't there? My '08 and '09 smarts are all my wife & I drive and we have no problems like you say.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I get the same jackasses with my F150 or with the Smart. There are jerks out there and you can't be shocked to find them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nothing new and I think you folks are reading too much into this with all the psychological mumbo jumbo. It's just knotheads that feel powerful behind the wheel. Internet tough guys who drive. Wimpy worms in the real world and tough guys behind the wheel.

Back in the '70s I had a Honda 600. During the fuel crisis people used to park next to my car and bash their doors into it on purpose.

Bottom line is it only takes one good smile from someone to counteract all the boneheads. Don't sweat it. Being a middle age geezer I don't get the attention that the kids do while driving my Smart. When I do it's usually positive. On a recent long road trip I was surprised at the interest I got in gas stations and fast food parking lots in Hillbilly country. Yeah those folks like their trucks but they also feel the crunch on the dollar. I got lots of "how many MPG's do you get from that." Many expressed how fuel was killing their budgets.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
After almost three years driving my smart, I've found that I have less problems in the fast lane pushing the cars in front of me than in the right lane trying to blend in with the slower traffic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've only had my smart for about 3 months so far, and in that short amount of time I've only had positive comments from people. However I do find a lot of cars try and go around me when I turn on to the highway as they just seem to assume that I will be driving very slow in that lane, but I usually end up passing them up once I get going.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I for the most part get good responses like a smile or wave... I get those that pull up almost beside me and just sit there an check the car over. Sometimes they sit in the blind spot. Not sure if I just imagine this or not.. they come up pretty quick and then don't pass for a bit... Still love my car....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Largely, positive responses to ours, here, in Atlanta. Almost universally, though, the ones who act like a$$hats are in pickups. Passed one last night on the outside lane of a tight loop from 75S to 85N. Popped the down paddle twice and zipped around him (who said Smarties weren't quick in the twisties?).

After his lane merged into mine, he got right on my rear and would run up on me and back off multiple times. I'm sure he was compensating for a shortcoming somewhere else! :wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After almost three years driving my smart, I've found that I have less problems in the fast lane pushing the cars in front of me than in the right lane trying to blend in with the slower traffic.
Yup, I think thats the solution or one of them anyhow..:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Largely, positive responses to ours, here, in Atlanta. Almost universally, though, the ones who act like a$$hats are in pickups. Passed one last night on the outside lane of a tight loop from 75S to 85N. Popped the down paddle twice and zipped around him (who said Smarties weren't quick in the twisties?).

After his lane merged into mine, he got right on my rear and would run up on me and back off multiple times. I'm sure he was compensating for a shortcoming somewhere else! :wink:
yeah I'm sure that must be it:wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These type of shinanigans are what may cause us to turn ours in after the lease is up. These are dangerous moves and can result in loss of life or injuries, lawsuits etc. I;m not sure it is worth it..Maybe after gas goes to 5-6 dollars a gal.And America wakes up to the fact that 8 cylinder and 0-60 in 6 seconds isnt worth the expense. These little guys are all over Europe and elsewhere.and nobody pays any attention to them. Also I'm sick and tired of hearing:"I wouldnt ride in those death traps just to save a few cents on a gallon of gas"
Besides paying 60.00 (or more) for a tank of gas is MACHO !! Right ?

·
17,349 Posts
I've had my fair share of haters, ranging from classmates (most of which I've converted) to stereotypical hillbillies. Shoot, I've even received hate from a Scion salesman!

Most of it is nonsensical and uninformed - people just trying to find a reason to hate.

Some have been violent, a few times already a 4x4 or a pickup has tried to run me off the road.

One of my first ever haters (back in 2008) was a friend who said "what kind of idiot would buy a car like that for $30,000?" (I quickly corrected that!) Other haters back then just said things like "it's a slow POS" and other useless trash talking.

But out of all the haters, 95% of everyone else LOVES the car. It's even won awards at car shows!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts