Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Have a 2008 451 with 109,000 miles. Engine has just under 30,000 miles on it. It's developed a shimmy as you accelerate from what seems the right rear of the car. Checked the lug bolts and suspension and all seems tight. Shimmy goes away as you get up to speed... completely smooth at 80mph on the interstate. No engine codes are registering.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Could be a tire with a resonance vibration at certain speeds. I've seen it, and had it happen. Depending on the tire construction, wear, and how it was balanced, they can go through a harmonic at certain speeds. below they are fine, and above it they are fine.

Another possibiity is a motor mount. You stated the engine is fairly new, but did you re-use the old mounts? Maybe one is cracked or worn, and letting engine vibrations through at certain RPM ranges.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah... the mount is a concern I just didn't want to admit/think about. LOL.... The car is being traded in on Saturday so it's not that big a deal (getting a newer smart)... just more curious than anything. The tire looks fine and it doesn't seem like a balance issue... I've been thru that before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts