Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter has 2008 limited edition Passion convertible 18k. The soft top sliders are getting hung up when it closes. I found a YouTube video on how to remove the top to repair the sliders. The problem is I can’t find the replacement parts. Any help on this would be great. The convertible is why she bought this car.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I have two Mercedes dealers near me. Both are quick to very flippantly tell me I have to go to a smart dealer to order parts. They have even looked up a part number first and do not have access to the part numbers in their system. Totally maddening to be told I have to contact a dealer four hours away from me to get parts. I can order parts on line, but then I have to add their FedEX shipping charge on top of the part charge. The flippant rudeness with which I am treated is enough to guarantee I will never buy a Mercedes product again. It is what it is.
I can order by mail from an online parts center but again, there is that shipping charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I have had the same problem here in central Texas. The dealer was Hesitant to do the engine insulation recall. I understand about not buying another Mercedes product I’m with you there. I will start going online to their parts and see if I can find what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have managed to get parts from the local Mercedes dealer which are not smart specific, i.e. are used on other Mercedes models.

Often a smart specific part is ID'd by the pn prefix 450-, 451-, 453-. Mercedes seems to apply the model for which the part was initially designed for as the prefix, but if the part was used elsewhere in their model lineup it should be available. For example the fog lights used on the 451 are also used on the W219, CLS350, CLS500 and CLS550 models.

~toaster

·
Registered
696 Posts
Preemptive strike . Get a Mercedes Benz service disk set , the parts numbers are then available for you. The small investment pays off in big ways .

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Non smart dealers are prohibited by the mothership from selling smart specific parts. As mentioned, they aren’t even able to look up smart parts. Been there, discovered that. Wish that weren’t the case.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Smart dealers these days and few and far between... So, I guess you could drive to one to get your part? But, shipping is certainly cheaper then gas! Plus, you will actually get the RIGHT part from a Smart dealer's parts counter (eliminating yet another possible nightmare!).

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
I got white lithium grease from Walmart. Within a day my 450's top (which was advertised as broken) worked like brand new.

I suspect your sliders just need a little lubing. :)

Reactions: Smart Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sprayed along the full track that the top rides in and around some of the top mechanism. Did it about a year ago and it all still is working great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts