Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a dealership upgrade parts like radio or anything like that. I'm a new owner and just wondering I'm not that very great at taking stuff apart so if they can do it I'd feel better about it

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's no too difficult. The hardest part would be getting the door skins off. You should watch some youtube videos, and enlist the help of friends. I would never let an "installer" touch my car. Maybe if you find a small shop / garage operation. But never Bestbuy, etc.

The small interior space of the smart works well, without a lot of amps. If you want simple rear speakers, you can just staple hook side velcro to the bottom of wedge 6x9 boxes, and stick them to the carpet. You don't need a lot of power. Go for the Nav or dvd head unit you want.

Where are you at in STL? I lived on Cherokee a couple blocks north of the old Lemp brewery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Maplewood. My smart has fabric covered dash and doesn't look like most iv seen on YouTube. If I got a nav system made for the smart would i be able to install it or would I need help. I can take pictures if it helps

·
17,350 Posts
All smart 451 dashes are either leatherette or fabric covered (unless otherwise modified). There are aftermarket covers you can put on top of the dash, but those will not affect stereo installation.

Speakers can be surface mounted on the door panels for an easier install.

The easiest is the headunit. Takes about 10 minutes...

Peel off the button bank, take out the Torx screw underneath.
Peel off the stereo surround, take out about four more torx screws.
Stereo slides right out.

The cool part is that since the headunit is so huge, removing it gives you practically full access to the entire area in the dash.

·
17,350 Posts
In that case, the stereo/drawer has a plastic frame that snaps in place and can be easily pulled out.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I'm yanking the Entryline Radio out of my '13 smart EV in favor of the Highline Radio.

I just randomly decided that I want touchscreen navi in my smart EV... :D

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
I hope you're not paying retail for the highline - lots of good DVD/nav units out there for less money. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts