Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be posting multiple threads because this cuts me off and more than once i have had to start over when i have many items

1. a/c is intermittent (dash and cooling fan stay on). i have a thermometer in the center vent and it generally stays on 40 degrees except when it stops cooling then it is on 60. I will either turn it off, resert recirc to off or run the heat. after awhile it will cool again. first i thought it was freezing up but i have used it a week in the upper 80s without a problem. any ideas?

2. rattle like a throwout bearing at idle (not a tinny rattle or metal to metal)

3. anything on the undercarriage that needs greasing (tie rods, ball joints etc)?

4. i want to paint my intake grill and gas door but the door has a ruff finish to it. any idea how i can smooth the door finish so the paint looks smooth and glossy

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more questions and problems

5. is it ok to use regular antifreeze or is there some reason i need to stick with the MB stuff.

6. dose the dash material hold up in the sun pretty good (dry rot) or do i need to put a dash cover on because of the brutal Florida sun?

7. what are the vents for on either side of the dome lite?

8. I thought when the car was unlocked via the remote the tailgate switch by the license should be functional. am i wrong and the tailgate is always a seperate stand alone system that needs to be unlocked when access is needed?

9. I have looked on the ngk web and searched this site and cannot find a number for platinum plugs. .036 is the correct gap for all plugs?

·
Registered
47 Posts
8. I thought when the car was unlocked via the remote the tailgate switch by the license should be functional. am i wrong and the tailgate is always a seperate stand alone system that needs to be unlocked when access is needed?
Presls the unlock button twice to enable the tailgate switch.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
additional questions and problems

10. as i mentioned the driver seat is locked and will not move. i have looked on both sides of the seat three times and do not see a triangular hole where a clip is. do i have to take the seat apart?

11. also in comparing seats i noticed the pass seat sits 3/4 to one inch higher. is this normal compared to other cars. and no a heavy person was not the previous owner and the seat tracks/rails are not modified and work just fine.

12. the brake fluid is normal and all pads/shoes are great. with only 28k on it i doubt there is any air in a system that has not been worked on but i have noticed the the pressure i use on the pedal when i come to a stop and then after the car stops the pedal sinks a little and the car creeps....bad master? anyone every install stainless steel lines for a firmer pedal?

13. i have looked and cannot find what bulb is used for brake/turn and running lite. if i were to put an led in the rear would that affect the flasher because of the decrease resistance?

·
Registered
82 Posts
1- Some other owners have complained that the 'climate control' malfunctions. Have you searched the site for possible solutions?

2- Hard to say. With the car running, in Park and the Emergency Brake on, go climb under the car with a long handled screwdriver. Use the screwdriver as a stethoscope by placing the handle to one of your ears and try and locate the source of the noise.

3- The only thing I've read and performed myself is to grease the tranny shift motor with spray lithium grease. Again, search this site for instructions. I also remember there might be a YouTube video on this topic too. Greasing the motor/gears apparently helps the tranny shift smoother/faster.

4- You can try sanding the rough surface down or after cleaning the door thoroughly with acetone or lacquer thinner, try bondo and then sand it smooth? I don't know if there's specific bondos for plastic though, so you might want to ask for advice at your local auto body supply store.

·
Registered
82 Posts
5- I can't imagine that you couldn't use an equivalent aftermarket antifreeze. I have seen some postings on how to properly change the coolant in our cars, so you should read some of these other postings.

6- I haven't heard of any concerns. The fabric may fade a little with all of your UV.

7- The only functional thing I can think those vents might be for is for the cabin light.

9- The gap should be the same regardless of the type of plug you're using. A spark is a spark and the primary advantage of a platinum plug, IMHO is that it lasts longer since it's more resistant to wear.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
last of questions and problems (for now)

14. ever noticed how useless the tiny sun visors are. whats a good extender to put on

15. where can i find a wiring schematic so i can find out what all the unlabeled fuses are for since they are not in the owner manual.

16. dont remember if i asked this but does the starter use a belt to turn the engine over...read that in a thread here

17. when i'm driving i cannot see the lower 3/4 of the info center on the dash (have tint on the windows). I had a wild idea to mount 2 or 3 leds on the bottom of the instrument panel to throw some lite on the lower info center. any ideas?

18. unless i missed something if i lock the car with my remote how can my wife unlock it without a remote key without setting off the alarm

19. in front of the cup holders there is something vertical with 2 grooves on the right side that something slides into. what are they for?

·
Registered
412 Posts
15 Extend-a-visor
16 No, the starter drives a gear in the engine
17 There are lots of LEDs that you can use to illuminate your dash. Just choose one that operates on 12 volts D.C.
18 The car comes with two keys. I had a valet key made for emergencies, but I don't think it will prevent the alarm from going off. You will probably need a secondary.
19 The grooves are for optional CD and coin/ashtray modules that can be attached.
20. :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
10. If you remove a seat to fix the mechanism do not turn the ignition key on with the seat wires unplugged. It will turn on the air bag light and it usually requires a trip to the dealer to shut it off if you don't have an ODBII code reader that will access the restraint system. (there's an air bag in the side of the seat on certain models.

11. The seat height is higher on the passenger seat and the passenger seat is also further back by a couple inches. It is that way in case of a side impact the passenger and driver will not bang shoulders in an accident. It's also so the driver has better side visibility.

12. Maybe the brake light switch isn't working or adjusted properly. Check to see if the brake lights are working when you push the brake.

13. The talight brake/turn bulbs are standard 1157 bulbs. If you install LED's it will hyperflash unless you install the optional resistors. I've been through that.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
5. Use any antifreeze that is rated to be okay for use with aluminum radiators.

6. The cloth holds up amazingly well. I clean mine with a damp cloth.

7. The vents are to keep the dome light bulb from heating and turning the dome light glass brown from too much heat. The vents are a great spot to put an LED in each one to illuminate your interior when the parking or headlights are on/

8. You can unlock the tailgate with the remote directly. If the car is unlocked with the remote or by pushing the unlock button on the dash, then the switch in the handle of the tailgate should unlock the glass so that you can raise it. Then pull the lever on either side of the tailgate and both latches should release to allow the tailgate to come down.

9. The spark plugs gap at .035 and Mercedes Benz recomends you use iridium type plugs in it because it is a higer compression engine. The factory installed Denso plugs will cost you anywhere fro $15 to $23 each depnding on where you get them. You can get Autolite brand iridium plugs at Auto Zone for $6.99 each and they work just as well and are about the cheapest alternative that I know of. DCO

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
10. We have seen where a coin will fall down into the seat track and get jammed. the seat won't move when that happens. The only alternative is to remove the seat and clear the track. ** remember to disconnect the battery so you don't end up with a SRS light that will have to be reset by the dealer.

1. My smart did this on occasion, never figured out why except that maybe it had too much water condense oin the system and decreased air flow. Cycling the power usually made it work again (like you said)

2. these cars are real noisy at low speeds. drive next to a cement wall and it sounds like a box of rocks in the transmission. Mine did and I never had any issues with it.

4. Instead of paint, try using a wrap. it will cover it if you use a thick enough material and you can always remove it if you change your mind.

12. Brake fluid will absorb moisture and that will affect brake pedal pressure. Also glazing of the pads will diminish brake performance. change to ceramic pads and they will stop better, and less dust on the wheels.

They make a "pop top' cover that goes over the top portion and covers the windows and top. I think it ataches to the mirrors, that will keep your dash out of the elements and keep the car cooler .

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
1. AC actually has a temp sensor in those holes you mention up above. Common in Mercedes from experience. It stops cooling when the sensor senses the set temp is reached. I set to 68 and things feel better. Probably 66 feels even better but I'm into conservation of energy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
2, 3, 4: Don't know

5. Without wanting to start a war, I use the prescribed 325.0 MB stuff. Manual says coolant changes may be needed sooner if not kept with the stuff, so I just follow. I found that fcpeuro has been willing to ship it all the way to me in California, at a reasonable price. So that is where I bought my last gallon I believe.

7. I guess that's where they put the temp sensor for the climate control. (I haven't looked/researched to see actually what's in there.)

12. (Is this the brake question.) I saw one "helper" have an "off by one" error! You must be gentle on the pedal, and have a very sensitive foot. I may have noticed this phenomenon and just racked it up to the small engine and it's quirks. Brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years, I'm guessing with a proper pressure bleeder, or 20k miles?, whichever comes first. The fluid tends to turn opaque/dark as it gets old, if neglected.

Really need to go back to sleep now...

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Now that our main refrigerator seems somewhat operational. (Spent most of the day yesterday trying to diagnose and fix it!) I looked at this thread, and I was a little more confused. I didn't venture to 451s though. (I've been there, but don't know if it still exists.)

I found the hidden temp sensor, the little devil:

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

I need to figure out if Kane has instructions on how to add the rear fog light....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts