Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched existing threads for answers, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords? :shrug: Here are my questions:

1. Cargo area is always expressed in cubic feet. On the COUPE, can someone tell me how many FEET the cargo floor extends from the back of the seats to the hatch? (I ask because I have a 100# dog and that is where he would ride, so I need to be sure the area is big enough for him.)

2. Again in FEET, how much of a difference in cargo room is there between the COUPE and the CABRIO?

3. Just how much heat from the engine makes its way into the cockpit? (Again, thinking mostly about my mutt laying in the cargo area.)

4. I've seen more than one review that has cautioned to stay away from the sport package, principally because of its punishing ride. Anyone with the sports package confirm or deny?

5. CAN one still order through the dealership a precisely speced (exact colors and options) ForTwo?

Thanks so much for any feedback!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
****Measured my 2008 passion, if you are thinking about a 2016 model be aware that these measurements will be different**

The inside dimension of the cargo area is 39 INCHES wide, and 21 INCHES from the tailgate to the back of the seat. I have my seats all the way to the rear, and they are angled back a bit but you could move the pass seat forward to gain some room, or fold the seat back down flat and you would have lots of room on top of the seatback.

The carpet above the motor compartment does have a foam insulation under it, but with small dogs, it could get a bit warm so most throw a folded blanket down just in case.

The sport package does have firmer shocks and the wheels are a little harder for more grip on the road, but it isn't that much harsher than the standard ride if you take it easy.

I never measured a cabrio so I couldn't say if they have less room. If the top is up, I suspect it would be the same, top down it would be much less.

Take the pup along for a test drive and see if they like it and if they fit. You will want to take a good long test drive yourself and make sure the car is what you want. we have heard from a lot of people that bought a smart and then didn't like it for one reason or another. a simple test drive would have saved them a lot of anguish.

There are many fortwos that have low miles around or sale right now and the prices are extremely low unless you are set on a new model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, jimvw57. Yes, the pup would definitely be part of the test drive. I've owned a Mini, a 500c, and currently an iQ, so I (think) I have a pretty good idea what to expect. I'm familiar with the form factor at least.

I am actually looking at purchasing either a 2016 or 2017 model. Anyone comment on that model?

(or... am I in the wrong sub-forum? I thought the 453 was the latest generation.)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, jimvw57. Yes, the pup would definitely be part of the test drive. I've owned a Mini, a 500c, and currently an iQ, so I (think) I have a pretty good idea what to expect. I'm familiar with the form factor at least.

I am actually looking at purchasing either a 2016 or 2017 model. Anyone comment on that model?

(or... am I in the wrong sub-forum? I thought the 453 was the latest generation.)
The 453 has a more compliant ride than the 451 so the sport suspension may be a bit more tolerable for those who don't like harsh rides. Actually, the handling of the standard 453 suspension is quite good, much improved over the 451, so you may not even feel the need for the sport suspension.

The 453 literature tells us that the hatch area is very slightly larger than that of the 451 but be aware the actual hatch opening is a slight bit smaller (lower). My impression is that there is a slight bit less heat transfer to the floor area in the 453 but that is just my subjective feeling. You could use an insulating mat to reduce that even more.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
FYI, my 453 with sport package had rattles on many road surfaces. The 453s I've driven without sport package didn't have rattles on the same roads. Just something you may want to consider, in case it makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've searched existing threads for answers, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords? :shrug: Here are my questions:

1. Cargo area is always expressed in cubic feet. On the COUPE, can someone tell me how many FEET the cargo floor extends from the back of the seats to the hatch? (I ask because I have a 100# dog and that is where he would ride, so I need to be sure the area is big enough for him.)

2. Again in FEET, how much of a difference in cargo room is there between the COUPE and the CABRIO?

3. Just how much heat from the engine makes its way into the cockpit? (Again, thinking mostly about my mutt laying in the cargo area.)

4. I've seen more than one review that has cautioned to stay away from the sport package, principally because of its punishing ride. Anyone with the sports package confirm or deny?

5. CAN one still order through the dealership a precisely speced (exact colors and options) ForTwo?

Thanks so much for any feedback!!!!!
Hi!

I have a 2017 coupe (453 brabus). Let me see if this helps you at all...

1. My trunk area is 23" deep, depends on ur seat position, but Im in no way short so mine is back most of the way. The width is about 40" but I have the sub which takes up space too. My dogs are not quite 100#, 16 and 26# lol, but they have PLENTY of space back there, even with the sub. Youd have to try out ur dog in the back to make sure he fits, but the passenger seat folds almost flat as well, so that may work to create more room for him.

2. I dont know..

3. Theres a little more heat in the trunk than in the passenger area (hardly noticeable) but my dogs do just fine back there.. especially with the AC or windows down. My windows are tinted too which helps with heat.

4. This is personal preference... Ive always has sporty cars so a stiff ride is much more important to me than smooshy and comfy.. i drove both stock and sport models before buying mine, and i liked the sport WAY better.. mine has the brabus suspension which is a hair tighter than sport and i bought stiffer lowering springs for my car still.. personal preference. Drive both.

5. This depends on the dealer, and it would be a 17 not a 16MY. I know they are stopping the gas engine production in about 6 months so not sure how many more can be ordered.

Hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
FYI, my 453 with sport package had rattles on many road surfaces. The 453s I've driven without sport package didn't have rattles on the same roads. Just something you may want to consider, in case it makes a difference to you.
Ive seen a couple MY16 453 drivers say this, but my MY17 doesnt rattle.. so not sure whats going on with those. My pins on my purse will rattle on rough roads but this isnt the car. And if I have change in the drawer it might rattle on occasion.. but again, not the car..

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
From what I have heard from a reliable source, is that the order banks are closed. I have also heard that it is now difficult to find a 453 smart equipped with the Sport Package. I would visit a smart Center and see what they can find in theirs or another smart Center's inventory. I have also heard that your ability to build your own smart on the smartUSAwebsite has also been closed, but I haven't checked. Most of the ICE equipped 453's are already in dealer inventory & most of the remaining cars will arrive this month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I have heard from a reliable source, is that the order banks are closed. I have also heard that it is now difficult to find a 453 smart equipped with the Sport Package. I would visit a smart Center and see what they can find in theirs or another smart Center's inventory. I have also heard that your ability to build your own smart on the smartUSAwebsite has also been closed, but I haven't checked. Most of the ICE equipped 453's are already in dealer inventory & most of the remaining cars will arrive this month.
(sighhhh) :crying::crying::crying:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For all of the research I've done about the 453, all of the reviews I've read and the videos I've watched, not to mention the hours in these forums... I had yet to test drive one until yesterday. Maybe because I was afraid I'd fall in love with it when I've been promising myself -- and my four-legged son -- for a year that we'd go bigger on the next vehicle (think Mazda CX-3). Maybe because I've been afraid I'd end up loving it only to find the pooch cannot begin to be comfortable in the cargo area..

But I did test drive it. And I did end up thoroughly impressed. Wowed. Surprised. Entertained. God help me, if they'd had the right vehicle on the lot, I fear I might have signed a lease right then and there (and the lease on my current car doesn't end for another year). But they didn't, thankfully, although they're willing to do a search for something closer to my wants.

So the pooch and I are returning to the dealership tomorrow. If it doesn't work for him then the story ends there. If, however, it does... (gulp)... I have a big decision to make.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For all of the research I've done about the 453, all of the reviews I've read and the videos I've watched, not to mention the hours in these forums... I had yet to test drive one until yesterday. Maybe because I was afraid I'd fall in love with it when I've been promising myself -- and my four-legged son -- for a year that we'd go bigger on the next vehicle (think Mazda CX-3). Maybe because I've been afraid I'd end up loving it only to find the pooch cannot begin to be comfortable in the cargo area..

But I did test drive it. And I did end up thoroughly impressed. Wowed. Surprised. Entertained. God help me, if they'd had the right vehicle on the lot, I fear I might have signed a lease right then and there (and the lease on my current car doesn't end for another year). But they didn't, thankfully, although they're willing to do a search for something closer to my wants.

So the pooch and I are returning to the dealership tomorrow. If it doesn't work for him then the story ends there. If, however, it does... (gulp)... I have a big decision to make.
Remember the seat folds flat too. :D I just hauled a 6ftx8ft rug home from IKEA today. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They post the hours on their website, but I never looked because it never even entered my mind that a dealership would close before 9 on a weekday. And surely the salesman would have told me, when I said I'd be returning with the dog on Monday evening, that they close at 7. Alas...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And so my journey ends. Took four attempts for my mutt to finally maneuver his way up to the cargo area, and at that I had to support his rear legs until he got far enough in to get a foothold. To say he filled the cargo area would be an understatement. (sigh) If only he were a passenger seat dog.

No Smart for me. :crying::crying::crying:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Wha?! Nooo, thats crazy! Cant believe they close so early! :eek:
You've got it good here in Los Angeles (West Covina) huh? Anything to keep us from going home to a nice dinner with family at a respectable hour as we "close" at 9pm (but end up stuck doing clean up and reports until 10 or later). :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts