Smart Car of America Forum banner

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased my 2012 smart in Feb of this year. I really do love the car . I plan on doing a few upgrades to her bug thats in time. Just need to do research on the parts. I live in Oneonta N.Y I was just wodering is there any one else that owns a smart be sides me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read through many of the pages in this thread but still have my own questions. I am looking at purchasing a 'new to me' car in the next few months. I have a very firm price point ($10k before tax and fees) and very few requirements (automatic trans and power windows) - I really am not a high maintenance girl, just need a few simple things. Right now, the Smart Passion and the Scion iQ are fitting these parameters.

One of my biggest questions is how does the Smart handle in the typical Chicago winters?

The 2 Smarts that I am looking at right now are:
2012 Passion with 23k miles on it for $8000
2008 Passion Cabrio with 25k miles for $8600

My facts:
This would be my ONLY car.
I DO NOT care about the size/body shape of cars or the color. I care about reliability and life of a car.
I don't need to transport anyone else around. Just my computer bag and a weekend bag or a couple bags of groceries.
I drive 26 miles round trip 4 days a week and 120 miles round trip on the weekends. - rarely more than 250 miles in a week. - Longer vacation trips would be in my boyfriend's SUV
My daily drive is through 3 or 4 small towns in the Chicago suburbs. My weekend drive is a straight shot on a Chicago tollway
On the tollway, I do tend to be a lead foot (not intentionally).
Currently drive an older Kia Rio manual but due to some health issues, constant use of the clutch in the stop and go traffic is getting harder and harder.
I haven't done my own car maintenance in 20 years but give me a youtube I am handy at doing things

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Knabino

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion - I love the car - I own three other cars - but actually like the rough ride and precise steering of the smart car---
But the nearest dealer is 250 miles-- so it is impractical - only buy if you have a local dealer

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2009 Passion and I do too love my car, I have a Honda CRV which I love too but the Smart runs for two weeks with a half tank. I'm retire and can't afford to spend to much money on gas. Use my CRV only for long distance trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just joined and wanted to get your gals/guys take on the matter...

I'm looking at possibly getting a new car in the next few months and I am considering a used Smart Car as one of the choices. It will be a completely different pace as I am currently driving a 450whp Mustang Cobra. I probably would keep the Mustang but being in Cali there seems to be a cop on every block just waiting to milk the taxpayers for all they got, and it's certainly not easy to keep my foot out of the throttle! I'm also a student so the last thing I need is a speeding ticket or something along those lines. I do a TON of freeway driving and most the reviews I've seen say the Smart Car is more of a city type car which seems to make sense with having such a short wheel base and not the best coefficient of drag. I too make the occasional Vegas trip, for the typical reasons (gambling addiction, hookers, binge drinking, and other activities which I should probably not mention), in which 80mph is not out of the question, and perhaps is rather slow compared to most of the vehicles on that long stretch of beautiful scenery.

Anyways, I apologize for the long read. Here's what I am after... I'm also considering one of the new 2011-2012 cars like the Focus, Elantra, and or the Cruze. The mileage is about the same as a Smart Car but they do not require the Premium fuel. They too have at least double the HP, luggage room is probably tripled, and lastly they seat 4 which is kind of nice.The only reason I'm considering a Smart Car is because I think it would bring me enjoyment to drive as I would think I was in a grown ups Go- Kart! It also would be nice if I was planning on doing some parking lot racing with a couple buddies which I convince to get Smart Cars as well. In all seriousness a used Passion could probably be had for just above $10k which is about half that of one of the new 2011-2012's I mentioned earlier.

Obviously, I'm on a Smart Car website so the results should be swayed but here's my response... I'm just asking you to be honest! Would a Smart Car (Passion) be a good car for someone who does a lot of freeway driving (100+ miles a week) and is in college. Yes, I'm aware I can only give rides to one beautiful babe at a time, but I need to cut some of them out anyways because their affecting my GPA...

Thank you, to those of you who read my entire post!
No thank you to the people who did not read it, and then chose to give advice on something I did not ask about!
Hi! I will try to give you an honest answer. Pros and Cons. We bought a used 2011 Smart for Two. We've had strangers smile and tell us they love it and we've had others calls us rude names. So here we go:
PROS:
Excellent on gas
Great for driving in cities and for parking
Cargo space is bigger than it seems - we can fit at least 10 bags of groceries
Lots of air bags
Tons of space in front, meaning lots of leg room and head room. My husband is 6'2" and is comfortable
Higher up than most mid-sized cars, and nice huge side windows. Lots of great viewing area.
USB ports for charging phones etc.
Surprisingly good pick-up when passing someone on a highway and pretty good on hills
CONS:
Car has automatic manual type transmission so when it shifts gears automatically, it can feel jerky
Radio can sound tinny at times a
Steering wheel is non-tilt
Can only use premium gas
Very tiny rear-view window can make backing up a bit of a challenge, so we always try to park where we can just pull out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Very tiny rear-view window can make backing up a bit of a challenge.

I've never found that to be much of a con. With its short wheelbase and lack of back bumper I tend to just look over my right shoulder when backing up. Have managed to pull within a few inches of a wall or another vehicle without fear of hitting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
Hi! I will try to give you an honest answer. Pros and Cons.

PROS:
USB ports for charging phones etc.

CONS:
Very tiny rear-view window can make backing up a bit of a challenge, so we always try to park where we can just pull out.
May want to check, if head unit USB is OEM it may be intended for audio input w/no phone "charging" capability?

Tiny rear-view window, don't know how you can make the smart rear "window" any larger? Thinking you may be referring to rear-view mirror, many would say it's too big as it obstructs FORWARD vision?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Just bought my 2015 Smart and Love it. Here is why I bought mine. My commute to work is 3 miles each way. I live in a City of about 450k people and is ~80 square miles. I wanted to get a car that is fun and easy to drive, easy to maintain (by me or dealer) and was good on gas. Also wanted to be able to drive on the highway. My 451 is GREAT on the highway. If you are patient getting up to cruising speed of 55-70+ miles an hour, then this is the car for you. I have waited 9 years to get my Smart and I am glad I did.

Best of luck with your decision!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi,

Just bought my 2015 Smart and Love it. Here is why I bought mine. My commute to work is 3 miles each way. I live in a City of about 450k people and is ~80 square miles. I wanted to get a car that is fun and easy to drive, easy to maintain (by me or dealer) and was good on gas. Also wanted to be able to drive on the highway. My 451 is GREAT on the highway. If you are patient getting up to cruising speed of 55-70+ miles an hour, then this is the car for you. I have waited 9 years to get my Smart and I am glad I did.

True, but it is also light enough on fuel to have fun with without dramatically guzzling results. When the road is open in front of me as I leave the urban speed restrictions behind and enter the freeway I almost always floor it, and even though it's in top gear the response is not half bad!

·
Artz-smart
62 Posts
My smart was an impulse buy! I am hooked. And Love it.

I live in Metro Detroit. The worst drivers in the world, potholes everywhere, 50% without auto insurance, most likely highest auto insurance premiums in the country, traffic delays (all the time), bad parking.
This car was designed for this.

I have been sideswiped in Detroit by am old Chevy Suburban (no insurance) traveling 25 mph and a Subaru Forester (insurunce) 30+ mph.

Last year I bought my 2013 pure 29,000 miles for $6,000

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,

It sounds really convenient. I think we're on the same page when it comes to our preferences. I’m always after something that is fuel-efficient, easy to maintain, and easy to park.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, Don't buy a smart, they are too small, have a terrible ride, and shifts funny. No reason you listed will make you happy if you own one. I love my smart, but for intangible reasons that would make no sense to anyone, with the possible exception of my wife. I use mine to commute back and forth to work and the occasional pizza run. I love my smart, but they are not for everyone.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No, Don't buy a smart, they are too small, have a terrible ride, and shifts funny. No reason you listed will make you happy if you own one. I love my smart, but for intangible reasons that would make no sense to anyone, with the possible exception of my wife. I use mine to commute back and forth to work and the occasional pizza run. I love my smart, but they are not for everyone.
:D:laugh: And they're not even that light on fuel! Just about every person who asks me about mine asks how economical it is, and they're always surprised when I have to tell them there are larger, more economical cars available. 0:) So why do I want another one then!?! :shrug::laugh:

181 - 200 of 227 Posts