Smart Car of America Forum banner

221 - 227 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Absolutely you should get one. I had to get my 5th one (2ea. 451s & 3ea. 453s) b\c wife can't drive a stick. I take Minimus Prime on the ATV trails where a 4x4 can't.. ..trees and debris.. ...heh heh! I got it that these things are disappearing faster than the Pinto and Edsel combined, but I wish Benz would have given the 453 a fair chance. Yay me and Minimus!

·
I'll figger this car out
287 Posts
Absolutely you should get one. I had to get my 5th one (2ea. 451s & 3ea. 453s) b\c wife can't drive a stick. I take Minimus Prime on the ATV trails where a 4x4 can't.. ..trees and debris.. ...heh heh! I got it that these things are disappearing faster than the Pinto and Edsel combined, but I wish Benz would have given the 453 a fair chance. Yay me and Minimus!
Given the current climate with smart, an electric or a diesel might not give you what you want. Any 451 or 453 would be great. DO shop[ around.
I found a real bargain on a 451 although it needed work. It is the Road Warrior discussed in forum posts.
I have noticed that smarts have the same weakness which some Benzes do: gasser cars which have stayed without use or maintenance for a year or two need to get ground connections (-) cleaned and possibly battery cables replaced, depending on age. Drain stale fuel, change oil and spark plugs, and the car will start if you have a good battery. Diesels have a few other issues, many of which can be solved by pulling them at 15-20 mph and starting them in 2ng gear if all else fails. With diesels, air leaks in the system cause problems.US dealers like to create an aura of magic around the electronics of these cars, but familiarity through reading this forum will chase away many fears. Consider some of the people who work on these cars at the dealership-- they may be talented but they weren't born with it, and they are not brain surgeons. Certainly you can learn what you need and don't need expensive tools. You will need a good set of Torx wrenches, similar to Allen wrenches. If you've ever owned a Volvo, you have all you need.

Let us know what you decided. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get one. They're not that difficult to maintain and mend, as the active Canadian crew demonstrate. Cheap, minimally environment polluting, cheap to run, easy to park, and an absolute hoot to drive.

They have in spades what nearly every other newer car lacks - character! You'll fall in love with them in a way you never would with a sedan or a pickup.

All I would say is buy very carefully in the first place. Maximise your chances of a good ownership experience buy buying the best one you can afford, and then maintain it scrupulously. The 450 in particular is an enthusiasts car, in that you can't drive it, thrash it, and never lift the hood like a normal car. However, if you check your levels regularly and keep it well serviced and maintained they can give good service - in that sense they, and the 450 in particular again, are ideal cars for folk who aren't afraid of a spanner and who tend to maintain their cars better that is the norm. Enthusiasts, if you will.

Even in the UK where they're relatively common, my 450 is a hit with the ladies. I'm a 6'5" 270lb ex powerlifter with a face like a hippo's scrotum, yet probab,y every 2nd or 3rd go at the petrol station some young filly comes over cooing, "oh, I love your car, it's so cute!" More than one has asked for a ride, and I suspect a few of them wanted a 'ride', but being very happily married they don't get it. Nevertheless, the ladies love it, it makes nearly everyone smile, and you're guaranteed a cheer wave from other Smart drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just remember that there are 3 computers, 87 octane OK, 195/50 X 15 tires improve ride, your windshield will crack...$225 at safelite, ,$20 dino oil changes at WallyMart. Stay away from MB dealers and be really gentle with clutch and go paddle shift in stop and go traffic. Keep battery power optimal. Have Fun !!! 90 on freeway feels slower than 70 in my Jag "X" DrSmart

·
Super Moderator
1,334 Posts
Take all the comments with a grain of salt. 87 octane might be okay, but there's got to be a reason 93 is recommended. There's nothing in it for the manufacturer. Synthetic oil is recommended, although I have never changed the oil in mine. My dealers have been wonderful. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 16,500 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to introduce yourself? anyway I bought one a 2013 passion with 14000 miles on it. I never ever thought I would own one. I used to poke fun at the smart car. its the newest car I have ever owned everything else I own is old school. the one I bought was flood damaged but not submerged. appears like the carpet got wet. it still has the dirty oil in it and due for a change. anyway the interior was taken out of it when my brother got it and it wouldn't start. so I worked on it for him. I took the shifter all apart trying to figure it out starting from there. and nothing wrong there. traced the wiring around and found the harness plug wasn't locked into the ecu. it started right up and from there I put the car back together and drove it around. I fell in love with it! I set back and really looked at the car and what it's all about. IMO the car is underrated and some how politics seem to play a role as to why someone would own one. it's a great car and the price was right and so for I like it in exception of the shift lag. That's it for me!

·
I'll figger this car out
287 Posts
Take all the comments with a grain of salt. 87 octane might be okay, but there's got to be a reason 93 is recommended. There's nothing in it for the manufacturer. Synthetic oil is recommended, although I have never changed the oil in mine. My dealers have been wonderful. Different strokes for different folks. YMMV

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 16,500 miles
With 93+ octane, the vehicle will run smoother and the sensors will last longer, with less residue on them. Also with 93 octane, combustion will be optimized given the individual fuel injection by pulse which modern gassers have.

Between this and good oil (here read: Mobil 1 0W-40) the car will be trouble free as long as the electrical system is not neglected (start it weekly!)

221 - 227 of 227 Posts