Smart Car of America Forum banner

221 - 222 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Absolutely you should get one. I had to get my 5th one (2ea. 451s & 3ea. 453s) b\c wife can't drive a stick. I take Minimus Prime on the ATV trails where a 4x4 can't.. ..trees and debris.. ...heh heh! I got it that these things are disappearing faster than the Pinto and Edsel combined, but I wish Benz would have given the 453 a fair chance. Yay me and Minimus!

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Absolutely you should get one. I had to get my 5th one (2ea. 451s & 3ea. 453s) b\c wife can't drive a stick. I take Minimus Prime on the ATV trails where a 4x4 can't.. ..trees and debris.. ...heh heh! I got it that these things are disappearing faster than the Pinto and Edsel combined, but I wish Benz would have given the 453 a fair chance. Yay me and Minimus!
Given the current climate with smart, an electric or a diesel might not give you what you want. Any 451 or 453 would be great. DO shop[ around.
I found a real bargain on a 451 although it needed work. It is the Road Warrior discussed in forum posts.
I have noticed that smarts have the same weakness which some Benzes do: gasser cars which have stayed without use or maintenance for a year or two need to get ground connections (-) cleaned and possibly battery cables replaced, depending on age. Drain stale fuel, change oil and spark plugs, and the car will start if you have a good battery. Diesels have a few other issues, many of which can be solved by pulling them at 15-20 mph and starting them in 2ng gear if all else fails. With diesels, air leaks in the system cause problems.US dealers like to create an aura of magic around the electronics of these cars, but familiarity through reading this forum will chase away many fears. Consider some of the people who work on these cars at the dealership-- they may be talented but they weren't born with it, and they are not brain surgeons. Certainly you can learn what you need and don't need expensive tools. You will need a good set of Torx wrenches, similar to Allen wrenches. If you've ever owned a Volvo, you have all you need.

Let us know what you decided. Good luck!

221 - 222 of 222 Posts