Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yes, some like them and some hate them I ave had 86 cars in the last 15 years must high end bmws and slks,I have more fun with this than my new mini Cooper and lve to drive it, I live in th country so all roads are 50plusmph, I get 50mpg and love it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
The dealer maintenance experience will largely depend on which dealer you visit (are they a Mercedes dealership with smart attached or stand-alone?) and what you consider to be a "fair price."

I've been very happy so far but have only dealt with two stand-alone dealerships: Portland, OR and Orlando, FL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a fun car to drive for...in town or on the interstate. If you need room for more than one passenger, forget it. The SmartCar exceeded my expectations in every way...speed, power, and handling. My wife has a large SUV and drove it back and forth to work until I bought the SmartCar and now she's taken it away from me. We use it for 'around town' weekend driving and on all trips when it just the two of us. I don't hesitate to take it on long trips. I'd do the same thing if I had it to do over again. But I agree with the person that recommended a good test drive...and it all depends on what your expectations are. As you see from all of the different responses, it's all about what YOU want. Bill

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
To answer you golf club question, yes they will fit. I am fairly tall (6'3"), so I take my woods out and put them in at an angle behind the seats, but I have taken my son golfing several times, and can tell you they fit fine.

As far as rpm, it's not going to loaf along at 2200 rpm @ 65 like your Cobra. It's a small engine, and it's designed to rev. I don't have the tach in my car, but I believe it's about 3500 rpm @ 65. This car has a 4:56 final drive, so it's got a little grunt down low. I cruise along at 75 every day on my commute. I did 12 hours to the Nationals in KC last June in a smart caravan, and we ran 80 most of the way out there.:smartje.wt.zw:

·
Registered
2 Posts
elaborate

I get a lot of people asking if they should buy a smart and I usually surprise them by saying no. The smart isn't a car you think about and then get, you either NEED one but not sure why or you don't buy one.

The smart doesn't do anything better than other cars available and it's not cheaper than any of the cars that do stuff better.

So, if you didn't immediately have to have a smart the minute you saw one, you shouldn't buy one.
@Evilution,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean here? How do you just know you want a Smart Car? What does your Smart Car mean to you? What is it you can't get from another small or fuel efficient car? What does driving a Smart Car say to other people?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
65 MPH in 5th is about 3200 RPM. I thought it was a little high a first too, but since it's such a small engine I think it works out about right.

Really, I don't think you would want it much lower; when going 75, I have to downshift to 4th for even little hills. That puts it at about 4500. Really, thinking about it in terms like mean piston speed, 4500 isn't that fast at all. What's a little more surprising to me is that redline is only 6400.

Never mind that, though; I just ran through some numbers for airflow per power output recently, and assuming 100% volumetric efficiency, the smart has a BSFC of 256 grams/kilowatt hour at 4500 RPM WOT. For comparison take a look at these maps. That list includes some very high thermal-efficiency engines, and the better of those use about 280 g/KWh at 4500 RPM WOT (not counting the Prius, but it's a miller cycle - no fair :p ).

The way I did the calculations, the BSFC is dependent on the volumetric efficiency and vice versa. This means it might be 110% VE and 281 g/KWh, or it might be 90% VE and 230 g/KWh. Any way you put that, it looks good to me! :D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
@Evilution,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean here? How do you just know you want a Smart Car?

Student568, that's like asking somebody to explain why blue is their favorite color. It either IS your favorite color, or it's not. I think what he means about the smart, that it's either love at first site - or...not. You know? That's not necessarily true - but I believe that's what he means.

As to why we love our smart cars, I really do think that for the vast majority of us, it really was love at first sight. Every member on this forum has a reason for loving their smart, but there as many reasons as there are owners.

For me, I developed a liking for small cars in general over the last several years, and when I saw the smart - it was the SMALLEST car I'd ever seen! I love the size and the overall styling of it. Finding out it was really nice on the inside too was nice. And I enjoy having something that ISN'T like every other car on the road.

As to what it says to other people, again, you get a WIDE variety of reactions. My neighbor immediately said "that looks like it's so much fun to drive!", and he's right. Some people point and laugh, other people think it's cute. And so on. If you are WORRIED about what people will say about it, then perhaps you don't want one. You will get more reactions to this car than any other car anywhere near it's price range, I think it's more unique than any car within say 3 times it's cost.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I’d vote NO, and this is why. As a student, you really need the most cost-efficient way of getting yourself around. Your vehicle’s mpg, is only one among many variables. Though some of the cars have been relatively free of problems many others have not, and when they a not, they can be very expensive (just read today about someone having to replace a shifter on a car with just 8000 miles on it and it cost $800 bucks! Or try an engine at $10K!). You need a Yaris hatch, a Cube, or a Fit (Corolla, or a Civic if you got a bit more cash), because you need something you can rely on to be dependable and cheap to maintain. I drove both an Echo (Yaris replaced the Echo) and a Corolla. The interior materials were a bit cheap (no cheaper than most Stangs I’ve seen BTW), but I did almost NOTHING except change the oil, and put gas in – nothing ever broke in either car. You don’t even change the plugs in the Corolla until you hit 120,000 miles!). Any of the 3 I mentioned will give you YEARS of trouble free service and your children will likely inherit them!

You buy a Smart, if you REALLY want one, and you are willing to put up with all the shenanigans (and I’d recommend being able to work you your car a bit). Just another free opinion and worth every bit you had to pay for it. If Smart were making a better car they would be selling more of them IMO!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Boy, am I glad my husband never checks the forum.

My husband is a dear, dear man, and he can whip up a spreadsheet and a forecast so fast it would make your head spin, but he generally doesn't know one end of a hammer from another. BUT, even he has been able to maintain our SMART cars by himself. We have had no dealer visits, other than the scheduled tuneups, and he cut the cost of those in half by doing some of the stuff himself beforehand, and only letting them do what he couldn't. He has easily been able to change the oil on them , and he regularly changes filters and other arcane things that I don't even know what they are. We've had very little maintenance cost on our pint sized fleet, and I have gained a new respect for Spreadsheet Man.

From the penurious college student perspective......In 2007, my daughter was driving a 2001 2WD Nissan Xterra sixty miles round trip, three times a week, to university. We gave her an allowance of $150 a month to cover gas and the occasional lunch, and if she went over it, it was on her. She usually managed to eek it out, but it was often touch and go. Flash forward a year when her SMART car finally arrived on the dock, and suddenly, she found she had about an extra $100 a month in her pocket, and just about wore TJ Maxx out. She was happy as a clam.

From the insurance agent perspective: the SMART car will be a fraction of the premium the Cobra is, trust me. But always call your agent and verify. It should be no skin off his back to run a quote for you, and if you happen to have a VIN handy it will be quick and accurate to do so.

From a personal perspective, I sold an SLK230 Kompressor (turbo) when my own SMART arrived. Absolutely NO regrets whatsoever. I do about 200 miles a week on the hairily competitive racetrack that is I-285 in Atlanta. I am a right lane driver, and very satisfied with that. I'm not out there to compete with anyone, although I do find a lot of people seem to be compelled to compete with me, for whatever reason.

But, I will be the first to tell you, these little cars aren't for everyone. You have to examine your own personality honestly. Do not get stuck with a car you hate. I am trying to sell a Landrover for my deaf sister. She bought it in June and absolutely HATES it and refuses to drive it. A car you don't like is nothing but a big ugly expensive lawn ornament.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello.
Well, you are reading a page by someone who just purchased a Smart without ever test driving one, or seeing a live one.
I have had every auto under the sun, from "oh my god exotics" to a Cadillac. I figure the Cadillac doomed me to hell.
This little car is very stiff, a bumpy ride at times, great around the city. You tend to zip around like it is a game. Makes you have fun driving again. The freeway is not bad, yes it is bumpy at times, but do I miss the ride of the Cad, no. It holds all you need, parking at a college campus will be a breeze. On the way home from picking mine up, we hit 4 outlet malls, picked up 2 large boxes of super $ Radko ornaments, then did Costco. We even got a new Sony blue ray. So yes, your runs to Vegas will be no problem. You might even get there faster than you think.
So, good luck with your search...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Should I buy a smart?

I think you would be happy with a smart. The only thing that I really don't care for is the handling in really windy weather. Someone told me that putting the same size tires on the front that are on the back helps in that area. Good luck.
:smartje: :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hello.
Well, you are reading a page by someone who just purchased a Smart without ever test driving one, or seeing a live one.
That's cool all by itself, smartcat. I'm thrilled that you are pleased with your new smart, considering the circumstances of how you bought it. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this site , & so I am sorta of touring around , I do have a question ??
I have a smart car , Passion , I have it parked for the winter , I went out & started it up about two weeks ago & it started up with no problem , I drove it around the condos where I live , today I went to start the car up to run it for awhile & it won't start or even turn over , is this the battery ? I can't even get into the car !!!
Help what do you think is going on ?? Also do you think this car is safe to drive on the expressway in the winter with all the snow that we have in MI. I have been driving my old Ford explorer. I got my car around May of last year , so I really don't
know a lot about the little car , only reports that I have read on line & different articles in a smart car magazine . What do you think is going on ??
KY. Bluegrass..........................................................

·
17,345 Posts
Welcome to our asylum! :)

1. You should be good for winter driving, they have decent snow traction and they're rust protected.

2. Your battery must be dead. You can pry open the cover for the manual lock to get inside. You may have a 2008 battery (which smart USA has been replacing with a better one) and if it is, maybe it's time to get a smart center to swap it out.

3. It loves the highway! As long as it's not blizzard conditions I see no problem with it being on the highway.

·
aka 'littleyellowsmart'
7 Posts
Big Tuna...I love my Smart Car and would highly advise getting one. I drive mine about 2000 miles a month, and it's been fantastic. It's the perfect car for a college student! Gor for it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
travelling in a smart

I just want to thank everyone that took the time to respond to my question 'has anyone ever drove 1700 miles in their smart'

Thank you all for your input!!

Bannagh

21 - 40 of 221 Posts