Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Sounds like you may wish to get rid of your car A.S.A.P. to avoid more of these problems you have faced. :wink:
If only. He seems to live for misery and apparently wants nothing in life but to share it on a daily basis with every new forum member he can throw up on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
just don't buy an early 2008, they DO seem to be more problematic...
I don't know if ours is considered "an early" 2008, but it was delivered to us in the 1st week of May, 2008.

The thing has been nearly flawless and in the road we don't baby it. The thing gets redlined the heck out of it. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
The purchase of my new 2011 Smart pure was both a well thought out and spur of the moment decision. After seeing my first smart I thought how neat that would be to get one. More out of idle curiosity than anything, I looked up information on the smart. What I found was not very impressive. While I love the looks of the thing, the reviews are less than stellar. One source of information I use is Consumer Reports, and in their opinion The Smart for Two is the worst car ever manufactured, outside of maybe the old Yugo. Other sources came up with the same review. Mostly things like; underpowered, bizarre transmission, rough riding, unreliable, overpriced, etc.

That being said I put the Smart fortwo down toward the bottom of my list of cars that I would buy. Fast forward a few years, and four dollar a gallon gas and I decided to buy another car, more fuel-efficient, than my 15 mpg Jeep liberty. Fuel mileage was paramount, however I was flexible on the vehicle itself as this was just a second car to use for commuting. Preferably something fun. So I started researching for a new or late-model car that got fantastic mileage, and it wouldn't hurt if it was fun to drive. I shortened my list down to a Nissan versa or Toyota Yaris. I also like the Scion Xb, in fact so much so I put that at the top of my list, till I found out how much one would cost. Then I started looking at the Nissan cube, which is very similar to the Scion Xb. Couldn't find one of them in my price range so I started looking at other similar vehicles, like the Kia Soul. I worked out a deal with the Kia dealer in Brooklyn Park Minnesota. Took my daughter along in case I came home with the car and drove the hundred and 40 miles down there. The dealership consisted of several different brands in different buildings. The Soul I was looking at was at a different building so we drove over there with the salesman. That's when I noticed that that particular building was their Smart dealership. I told the salesperson that I wanted to look at one of those Smarts before we looked at the other car as I had never been up close to a Smart fortwo before. They had a brand-new one in one of my favorite colors (red).

Long story short, after a test ride and a little dickering, I pocketed the $3000 difference between the Kia soul and the 2011 pure and drove home in my new Smart fortwo.

The only thing I didn't get that I really wanted was a radio and cruise control. It had air conditioning, which for me, is mandatory. I put the radio in a couple of weeks ago, and the cruise is scheduled to be installed in the Dells on 11 June.

My take on this little guy..... Love it, so far. I'm a truck driver so a lot of the issues that the reviewer's despised don't really bother me. The thing rides like my Peterbilt, or for that matter my Jeep liberty. I'm used to it. As far as the bizarre transmission, I've been driving bizarre transmissions for 35 years. I just recently drove a Peterbilt that had the same kind of transmission as my Smart, albeit with five more gears. As far as the reliability, time will tell. Fuel mileage.... I'm satisfied, although I do wish low test was the manufacturers fuel of choice. As far as fit and finish, for a car that low-priced I am impressed.

I've only have a little over 800 miles on this critter so I can't really give a proper review. So far so good.

I plan on keeping this thing for quite a while longer as evidenced by my trip up to the DMV for my personalized license plate. "HAFACAR".:rofl:Corky

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I don't know if ours is considered "an early" 2008, but it was delivered to us in the 1st week of May, 2008.

The thing has been nearly flawless and in the road we don't baby it. The thing gets redlined the heck out of it. :)
I don't think having an early 2008 is a gauranty of having problems, but if you read through the forum there does seem to be more shifter problems and transmission shifting issues. If I were looking I would stick to a laater 2008 or a 2009, but that might be a bit paranoid. I don't have any statistical data to back that up, it's just my observation after a year of reading the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too want a smart car but with the closest dealer from Moorhead Minnesota , Omaha ,Neb area I don't think so. If the local Mercedes dealer handles them then it's a go.
Otherwise I am looking at the Ford Fiesta top smaller by US news car section, lot more bang for the buck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Big Tuna I drive a smart and get anywhere from 39 to 57 miles per gallon and I use regular in the summer and it drives the same as high test. The low millage is when my daughter takes the car( she has a lead foot) the high end is when i drive highway and even if you did use hightest all the time it's only an 8.7 gal tank how much more could it be get the cabrio if you live in ca you will love it good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I read 1959 Imperial, my sympathies. I get 39 mpg, my wife gets 41, go figure! She did get 52 mpg going from near Tacoma, WA to Sun River, OR. It's been a great little car. My folks live in Ocean Park, WA, a 3 hour drive one way. Yes the road noise is louder than my SUV. But both of us are very comfortable in our 09 Smart for 2 Passion. I'd rather pay for 39 mpg than 14mpg. Like 59 Imperial, we replaced 5 lights, in the front and back. Picked them up at NAPA in Sumner, WA, they have them in stock. I have aquestion for everyone. I have a triange shaped light in the middle of the dash that has come on. The people at SmartCar said bring it in we'll fix it (for $700). Its a sensor that is bad that may or may not affect the steering. I am reading that it has something to do with something called "EPS". Anyone know what this mean?

·
Registered
168 Posts
In responce to "triangle light being on/EPS"

Look at your fuse box , number 11 fuse , it is more than likely blown... If that will not fix the problem you will need to take it to the dealer. This is the traction and skid control systems.

Remember smart cars are short and have a high center of gravity. If you go into a spin/skid the "EPS" applies the brakes and helps you get out of trouble. The EPS really keeps you out of trouble on wet roads....

You can drive withoout EPS , but it is not advised....:eek:
---------------------------------------------------------
Now back to buying a smart....

If you want great fuel economy get it... If you think you are buying an MB or Caddy , forget it. IT IS AN ECONOMY CAR , PERIOD.....

It is small and a blast to drive , just do not think you can get in a hurry.... It will take a while to get to 70 mph but you can cruise tank after tank there....:wink:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Fired up smartie after a 2 summer month storage. No issues.

Please explain your battery issue. Went into reverse just fine. Perhaps a trip to Chandler for no reason?

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
I have aquestion for everyone. I have a triange shaped light in the middle of the dash that has come on. The people at SmartCar said bring it in we'll fix it (for $700). Its a sensor that is bad that may or may not affect the steering. I am reading that it has something to do with something called "EPS". Anyone know what this mean?
In responce to "triangle light being on/EPS"

Look at your fuse box , number 11 fuse , it is more than likely blown... If that will not fix the problem you will need to take it to the dealer. This is the traction and skid control systems.

Remember smart cars are short and have a high center of gravity. If you go into a spin/skid the "EPS" applies the brakes and helps you get out of trouble. The EPS really keeps you out of trouble on wet roads....

You can drive withoout EPS , but it is not advised....:eek:
Just a clarification... ESP (electronic stability program) has a triangle shaped warning light with an ! in the middle, EPS (electric power steering) has a steering wheel shaped warning light. Two similar acronyms for different things, but in this case it looks like we're talking about ESP and that would be worth getting looked at. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had our first tune up. Was worried. Every new vehicle I have owned, after the first tune up, the gas mileage went down. Surprise!! Gas mileage went up, from 39 to 44 on average. My wife got 47 mpg from Tacoma to Bend, OR. I know its a flat drive, still better than anything I've ever owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would say no to a used smart car just because MB is crazy on costs as for getting one to keep from getting ticketts that does not work I already have two on my smart both for 80ph one in a 65 zone and one in a 70 zone. I have 86,000 miles on my 08 mostly on Interstate 10 in the HIGH wind area. the smart handles the winds out there as good as any car I have had or driven and better than most due to a low cg

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is small and a blast to drive , just do not think you can get in a hurry.... It will take a while to get to 70 mph but you can cruise tank after tank there....:wink:[/QUOTE]
it's the long thin pedal on the right if you use that it takes no time what so ever to get to 80

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would say no to a used smart car just because MB is crazy on costs as for getting one to keep from getting ticketts that does not work I already have two on my smart both for 80ph one in a 65 zone and one in a 70 zone. I have 86,000 miles on my 08 mostly on Interstate 10 in the HIGH wind area. the smart handles the winds out there as good as any car I have had or driven and better than most due to a low cg
My experience is just the opposite, high winds bounce me all over. maybe because we have a lot of windbreaks along the highways here in MN. As far as cg(center of gravity) the Smart sits almost as high as my jeep.

81 - 100 of 231 Posts