Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Couple of thoughts....

1. Wasn't there something said somewhere about the thread size being somewhat proprietary?... as in you had to use the stock plug...

2. The stock plug is both easy and more importantly functional as it's part of the intake filter system.... It's easy and located in a good place... why mess with a good thing?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
65k and I haven't replaced the washer once... it's reusable... not one leak... comes off everytime.
Will be doing my first oil change on smartie shortly, since scSeattle closed, and I don't want to drive to downtown Seattle to the Mercedes dealership and pay the price that I'm SURE they'll want. So......my question is this.........are you using a torque wrench when you put the plug back in, or just tightening it until it's tight, and not OVER-tightening it?? I've read that the plug is a real bear to get out the first time! :>O

·
Registered
338 Posts
It will require a breaker bar and maybe a cheater pipe to get off. I would use a torque wrench to reinstall. There has to be a reason they want that thing at 48 ft lbs. My guess is it's a pretty substantial piece of metal, and it expands at a different rate than the aluminum it's screwed into. Too much risk of it backing out if you go light. If you over tighten it you may never get it out again.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Will be doing my first oil change on smartie shortly, since scSeattle closed, and I don't want to drive to downtown Seattle to the Mercedes dealership and pay the price that I'm SURE they'll want. So......my question is this.........are you using a torque wrench when you put the plug back in, or just tightening it until it's tight, and not OVER-tightening it?? I've read that the plug is a real bear to get out the first time! :>O
Use a torque wrench !!

It's a steel plug in an aluminum case, need I say more :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts