Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting an armrest for my 2013 smart ED for a while, but most of the information I found lead to dead ends. The only currently available models were from smartmadness or from eBay. I love smartmadness but I didn't like the look of that armrest. I saw something I liked more on eBay for $150 + $28 shipping from Europe. On eBay its listed as "Center Armrest Leather Smart Fortwo 451 Since 2007 Adjustable ABE Slightly" from "www*misterdotcom*de". Sounds sketchy, but the photo looked good. I like that it is small and has a thumbwheel for height adjustment.

I just got it today and was really pleased. The company that makes it (ABE ?) makes tons of armrests and they're very specific about colors and fittings. The eBay one is black, for attachment on the right side of the driver's seat (left hand drive). The instructions are to snap off the seat back adjuster cover, loosen 4 screws, attach the armrest then put the screws and cover back on. The hardest part is pulling off the plastic seat back adjuster cover.

I will try to attach the instructions as they came with the armrest, and photos of my installation.
Photograph Product Black Font Automotive tire

And pics from my own installation (ignore the black bracket behind the seat, that's a remnant of some previous armrest):

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Circle Wood Monochrome photography Audio equipment Pattern
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Bicycle part

Automotive lighting Automotive design Grey Luggage and bags Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car seat cover

It was all pretty anticlimactic! I recommend this item if you're up for the cost.

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
I sold my Matt Bosch made arm rest, for that OEM one.

I wonder if these guys, would have a salvage OEM armrest?

MB sells OEM armrest too.

Mine is like this one. You had to pull back the seat back. Poke a hole thought the vinyl. What you bought looks like a simple installation.
Hand Organ Human body Jaw Organism

·
Registered
2015 smart Fortwo Passion Coupe
71 Posts
Hi,did someone tried to have the drivers seat moved backwards (and if possible down) to allow more space for tall driver..?
Thanks in advance
Ilan
You would have to be very tall to be uncomfortable in a Smart, as there are people on this forum that are 6' 8" and fit in their cars without modifications.
As to modifying the seat frame, the seat frame on the Smart 451 is at an angle. Since there is no separate height adjustment, the further back you go the lower the seat gets. You could possibly just extend the frame track (there is a small amount of space), but that would 1) be expensive, and 2) require you to basically level the seat.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,998 Posts
Hi,did someone tried to have the drivers seat moved backwards (and if possible down) to allow more space for tall driver..?
Thanks in advance
Ilan
Do a search for "How to recline the driver's seat in a 451". Some people bent the stopping tab on the recliner mechanism to lean the seat back further. I never tried it, but some people said it puts your head fairly close to the rear window in the hatch and do not suggest doing it for safety.

·
Super Moderator
17,863 Posts
I believe MisterDotCom is actually a reputable seller for lots of Smart Car parts.
Late to the party but yep, MisterDotCom is an "OG" in the smart modding world. A lot of the mods that the community loves (armrests, cruise controls, trip computers, tow hitches, air scoops, etc) were available by MDC in Europe before Americans started making their own.

For some time, Matt Boesch also made some insanely high quality parts out of his metal fabrication shop. His armrest was a work of art. He even built a Smartbusa, which I occasionally see pop up for sale around Michigan. Today he tackles bigger stuff, like making off-road Porsche 911s.

Reactions: jwight

·
Registered
9,167 Posts
Late to the party but yep, MisterDotCom is an "OG" in the smart modding world. A lot of the mods that the community loves (armrests, cruise controls, trip computers, tow hitches, air scoops, etc) were available by MDC in Europe before Americans started making their own.

For some time, Matt Boesch also made some insanely high quality parts out of his metal fabrication shop. His armrest was a work of art. He even built a Smartbusa, which I occasionally see pop up for sale around Michigan. Today he tackles bigger stuff, like making off-road Porsche 911s.
I bought one of he’s arm rest. He made clear Engine covers. From stock ones. Key chains, paddle shifters, rear view mirrors, exhaust mufflers. The smartbusa failed. The guy who Commission it back out, from buying it. The neatest thing he built was a Tear Drop trailer.
out of his garage.

I asked Matt, at the Nationals about smartbusa. We had a crazy rain storm, that came though the Saturday of the nationals. High winds. I was helping Matt hold down his outside tent cover.
Plant Table Vehicle Tent Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Here is a picture of an extra Matt Boesch armrest I sold a year ago. It fits a model 451.
The manufacturer Matt Boesch no longer manufactures smart accessories.
Bumper Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment Metal Fashion accessory

So, they are only available on the secondary market, at supply and demand prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts