Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 30 miles @ 70 mph on a cool morning last week, then drove at 30 mph for about 10 minutes thru town. Stopped to let my wife out to check on an appointment. I left the engine running and after several minutes I heard the radiator fan come on. In 6 years of driving this car I don't think I have ever heard the fan come on, so it caught my attention and I immediately checked the coolant level. (No ScanGuage) Level was normal and I haven't heard it since. If it had been mid-day with the temp in the 90's, I wouldn't have been concerned, but since overheating is such a critical factor in these little guys, I was concerned. Anyone else ever notice their fan come on in cool conditions? I guess my next investment will be a scanguage!

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
Outside temp doesn't mean much, but maybe the heater was set to defrost (which runs the AC to take the moisture out of the air) or possibly the motor just plain got warm. Hard to say, my first purchase was a scangauge so I could monitor motor temps.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As OliverB said, you sat long enough that regular travel air-flow wasn't enough. It takes several minutes for that to happen in the smart. I've heard the fan run maybe a handful of times, often when waiting for someone where I should have just shut the motor off, had I known how long it was going to take.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the car sets at idle long enough, the fan will come on. Without any air moving through the radiator the coolant will heat up enough to require air to move through the radiator to reduce its temp.
Yeah there is a mcdonalds I live near by that gets really busy at night so it can be cool outside but by the time I get to the second window it usually kicks on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts