Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 Smart has that horrible noise coming from the radiator fan that I'd seen described in another thread and was going to just install a universal fan in front of the radiator as was suggested.

A couple of questions:

I need to remove the belly pan to access the fan wiring. How do I remove the rear of the belly pan? I got the front disconnected and lowered with no problem but for some reason I'm not seeing how to drop the rear of it.

I found a large screw laying under the car that definitely wasn't there when I started - that has me wondering if it came out of the mount for the fan and might be the entire problem. Will removing the belly pan get me enough access to the fan mounting points or will there be more disassembly required?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
In a word, no. I was able to drop the front of the pan and get my arm in there enough to unplug the fan and I then rerouted the wires to the fan in front of the radiator. Pretty sure the plastic pan under the car is one piece and goes all the way to the back.
The fan mounts to the same part that holds the radiator, and front end together. I used a camera on mine and found a cracked mount which was why I went with the front mounted fan.

** make sure the new fan is going in the right direction to blow air through the radiator. **

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was able to get to the wiring for the original fan and bring it out to the front. The bearings are obviously shot on the factory fan, way way too much play.

Now I just need to figure out some brackets to mount the aftermarket fan. (And go crazy trying to find out where that extra bolt came from).

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I used a couple of pieces of aluminum strap left over from mounting rain gutters on the house, and screwed them into the support for the front end/radiator. The aluminum bends fairly easy and the screws threaded right into the plastic/fibeglas with no problem.I put the fan right up against the radiator/ condenser so it is as close as it can be. My fan came with these mounting gizmos that were supposed to be pushed through the radiator and hold the fan up against it. Of course you can't get to the back side of the radiator to push then through, and I wouldn't want to do that anyhow. I would think it could damage the cooling fins.

That extra bolt could have been laying in there from the factory and fell out when you opened things up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it finished, wasn't too bad. I fabricated brackets from 14 gauge steel strips... one long one across the top and two short ones on the bottom. Pop riveted the brackets to the plastic (I like overkill). It was a big help to have a model number for a fan that is known to work for this application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts