Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I actually printed off the official instructions tonight. Unfortunately there is no way in the MB WIS system to copy and paste, so I will have to scan them tomorrow at work and post after that.

It looks pretty simple really. No drain plug on radiator, you have to pull the bottom radiator hose, then remove the plug in the side of the engine block.

To refill, unhook the small coolant hose beside the drivers side of the cylinder head to allow air to escape, and refill. I know there has been some talk on here about making sure to get the air out of the cylinder head or you'll have trouble. Evidently opening this small coolant line stops that. The instructions have pictures. Hope they show up when I scan and post.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume youn could drain the whole system though the plug with out taking the front hose (3) off at the radiator. then just bleed the system when filling back up.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I would assume youn could drain the whole system though the plug with out taking the front hose (3) off at the radiator. then just bleed the system when filling back up.

I don't think so, the plug is the lowest part of the engine, but the lower radiator hose I believe is the lowest spot of the system. I think you'll leave a lot of coolant in there if you just remove the block plug.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe jack up the front for a bit ? Unless the thermostat would require the dual draining spots? It would be nice to have a stop cock there on the radiator.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Nope, the WIS system loads through JAVA, I have not found any way to electronically copy it yet. Just print it. Maybe MB set it up that way on purpose?
There's always old fashioned screen capture. From the document you posted, it would probably take more than two.

Pressing "Print Screen" copies to clipboard, paste to graphics program of your choice, crop as needed, and save file(s).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Another technique is to print the WIS file as a MSWord ".xps" file. In other words, printing to file for hard copy printing at a later date.
I've all my WIS files saved as .xps files.

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
At work we use a program called PDF Creator. You can take a PDF document, take it apart, save it as multiple formats, then reassemble it into a single pdf file. We iuse it on system wiring prints.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Nope, the WIS system loads through JAVA, I have not found any way to electronically copy it yet. Just print it. Maybe MB set it up that way on purpose?
I installed CuteFTP and basically just printed it to a PDF file :)... if anyone wants this particular pdf file just sent me an email... my username at gmail.com

Larry

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Just peformed a coolant flush and fill today.

THANK YOU for the guide! The burping method, by removing the hose attached to the cylinder block helped a ton!

A couple of notes:

I WAS able to retain the original clip on the radiator hose, it did not bend nor break.

I used a wet vac to pull any latent / left over coolant out of the system.

I used the burp method that requires you to pull the hose off the cylinder head and this ensured that I had no latent / left over air bubbles in the system.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's an image showing the location of the coolant plug.

The procedure I have lists the following steps:
1) Reinstall the coolant hose on the radiator
2) Tighten coolant plug (replace seal)
3) Disconnect camshaft position sensor and knock sensor and lay harness aside.
4) Fill cooling system via the expansion tank (coolant level in the expansion tank must be at the max mark)
5) Remove middle (small) hose from fitting on cylinder head, wait until coolant escapes from hose and cylinder head fitting
6) Reinstall middle hose and clamp
7) Correct coolant level in expansion tank
8) Run engine until warm
9) Check and correct coolant level in expansion tank
10) Check coolant system for leaks

I haven't used these instructions (yet) myself, so if there are errors I am ignorant of them too. The process sounds correct having gone through the disassembly process.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I followed the procedure I listed and there's still a lot of air in the system, so something isn't right.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's an image showing the location of the coolant plug.
View attachment 64491

The procedure I have lists the following steps:
1) Reinstall the coolant hose on the radiator
2) Tighten coolant plug (replace seal)
3) Disconnect camshaft position sensor and knock sensor and lay harness aside.
4) Fill cooling system via the expansion tank (coolant level in the expansion tank must be at the max mark)
5) Remove middle (small) hose from fitting on cylinder head, wait until coolant escapes from hose and cylinder head fitting
6) Reinstall middle hose and clamp
7) Correct coolant level in expansion tank
8) Run engine until warm
9) Check and correct coolant level in expansion tank
10) Check coolant system for leaks

I haven't used these instructions (yet) myself, so if there are errors I am ignorant of them too. The process sounds correct having gone through the disassembly process.

Removing the hose on the cylinder head until coolant comes out is critical. It may take “burping” the system several times to get all the residual air out. Make sure that while the system is warming up that the reservoir never runs dry as it will draw more air into the system.

Because the smart does not have a temperature gauge, do yourself a BIG favor and use an OBD2 code reader , scan tool, or other mechanism to watch your temperature CAREFULLY! An over temp condition will almost assuredly warp the block. Keep a diligent eye on the temperature and keep extra coolant on hand whenever you drive your smart for at least a few days until you are 100% certain all remaining air has been purged.

·
Registered
378 Posts
To follow up on this...I'm embarassed to admit when I read the process I was thinking of the small hose of the 3 between the sub-frame and the car body that connect to the intake manifold. I knew something in my understanding was wrong because there's no way one can bleed air from the bottom. For any other simpletons out there who might also get confused, the hose in question is a small hose up top between the head and transmission. It will be below the secondary air injection valve or below the fuel line to the fuel rail. Look between the airbox resonator and the head, you should see it. It will be a small hose which connects to a steel tube rearward from the the throttle body.

Here's an absolutely terrible image from the service manual:

After a bit of jiggery-pokery I figured out which hose was intended and the above image I had seen, but obviously didn't understand, became clear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts