Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
None of the instructions here or elsewhere mention draining at the bottom hose on the heater core. Since most of us are draining the coolant after it cools down (i.e, thermostat is closed), isn't it necessary to to also drain from the heater core bottom hose to ensure the system is fully drained?

does anyone know if the 451 has a double valve thermostat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
These forums are great. If you look hard enough every question has already been answered. From Coolant Change on '09-451
Since this ZOMBIE is here, I think the other 1/2 quart came from the heater core :)

IF you didn't have the heater on MAX, the valve was closed and left the core coolant behind, not a biggie but I'm guessing that's where it came from :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I came by to say goodbye and saw what happened to me.

As, not if, the head warps because the warped head allowed compression to fill the head with combustion games, making the bubble stuck in the head to stop cooling the head, the head warps more and more until my head gasket blew at 30 mph. The head, the cheap bronze valve guides and all are toasted into oblivion. My stealer, Baker Motor Company in Charleston,SC, quoted $3400 labor plus parts including about $1400 for just the gold and diamond encrusted head. He didn't want the job. I could tell by the service advisor's attitude. Figure by the time they add on every part they can, we'd clear 5000 dollars or more. So, I elected to stop pouring money into my biggest car mistake in 70 years and gave it to my mechanic's son, who is also a MB mechanic in his father's independent shop, Star Motor Service.

Best of luck to all you proud warping head owners. I'm back driving my 1983 MB 300TD diesel wagon. Feels great! NO COMPUTERS. NO FUNNY BUSINESS. Fuel is free, runs on cooking oil waste like old times...
Larry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I actually printed off the official instructions tonight. Unfortunately there is no way in the MB WIS system to copy and paste, so I will have to scan them tomorrow at work and post after that.

It looks pretty simple really. No drain plug on radiator, you have to pull the bottom radiator hose, then remove the plug in the side of the engine block.

To refill, unhook the small coolant hose beside the drivers side of the cylinder head to allow air to escape, and refill. I know there has been some talk on here about making sure to get the air out of the cylinder head or you'll have trouble. Evidently opening this small coolant line stops that. The instructions have pictures. Hope they show up when I scan and post.
The prceedure I read in the factory manual is: do this with the engine cold ,if replacing all coolant open top of overflow bottle, jack car slightly on drivers side, open lower radiator hose, go to rear and open peacock on the rear side of engine block, and hose on top of engine, drain all fluid , replace radiator hose, close peacock on block, fill system until fluid comes out of top hose on block ,,titen the top hose, titen the overflow cap, start the engine and look for leaks. Good luck

21 - 24 of 24 Posts