Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i keep topping off the radiator reservoir with coolant but no matter how many times i do, it'll go from MAX to MIN in the matter of a day. Could this be a leak? if so why would it stay at min and not leak more from there? Also, could someone recommend a good radiator hose clamp tool to remove the hose clamp. I tried using a needle nose plier but there no good. These Smart cars use a different kind of clamp, one that ive never seen before and one that i cant find on the net. any ideas would be helpful. Thank you and happy smart driving!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't top it up to "max" with the engine cold.

Set it to "min" with the engine cold. It will go up as the engine warms up. If it goes above "max" it's apt to spit out the excess through the relief valve in the cap.

The coolant bottle is pressurized with the design of this cooling system. Other cars that I've owned that use closed, pressurized coolant bottles have all been the same way - fill it up too much, it'll spit it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't top it up to "max" with the engine cold.

Set it to "min" with the engine cold. It will go up as the engine warms up. If it goes above "max" it's apt to spit out the excess through the relief valve in the cap.

The coolant bottle is pressurized with the design of this cooling system. Other cars that I've owned that use closed, pressurized coolant bottles have all been the same way - fill it up too much, it'll spit it out.

thank you very much for that information!!!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
IF you will read your manual... it tells you how to fill your reservoir. Max is normal. I received my on min. Drove it for a year that way and during the second summer, it began to knock and ping in the heat of summer. I took it to two dealers. The first one said bad gas. NOT! The second said I don't know, take it to the next dealer 8 hours away. A known smart expert on SCOA offered expert advice. Try topping off the reservoir with water wetter. These cars are known to have hot spots in the head. Tried that and drove it to work the next day 20 miles round trip. The next morning it was down to min. again. I did this two more times, filling the reservoir with water wetter and now the reservoir stays at Max. no problem. When hot it does not go above Max. either.
Again, the manual indicates that Max. is the level to fill to on a 451.
By the way... water wetter absorbed the air bubble in the head which was causing the pinging, which neither dealer caught. Came from the factory under filled this way.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Water Wetter and Purple Ice don't absorb air bubbles. Both coat the interior surfaces of the cooling system to promote better heat transfer. I prefer Purple Ice as Water Wetter leaves a greasy coating not found with Purple Ice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts