Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month my Smart Radio 10 began showing the message, "PHONE/NAVI", which I cannot get off ... Sometimes it lasts 2 or 3 days, sometimes just a few minutes. I have tried many things to figure out what is going on. I have kept my phone powered out, not carried the phone with me while I drive, tried the re-set... but the message stays. And while the message is up neither the radio, CD, nor AUX will work.

I cannot find reference to this in the manual or online; the Smart dealer did a diagnostic on the radio but it came up normal and they said they have no idea what could be causing it. That's all.

Any of you have any ideas? Would really appreciate the assistance!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Just for clarification.

What year/model smart do you have?

The "radio 10" is a 6 disc AM/FM/CD unit, standard on 08-10 Cabrio, optional on 08-10 passion and pure.
To the best of my knowledge, it does not have any phone or nav interface? (except the aux input in the glove box?)

·
Administrator
29,529 Posts
The (USA) Radio 10 has no phone/navigation capability I'm aware of. This may be something like RDS, which was available in other countries but disabled for the USA. Sounds like the radio is malfunctioning in spite of what the dealer says. If the dealer can't reproduce it, try doing a video (with your phone! :wink:) when the radio does it the next time. Assuming the car is still under warranty smart should replace it for you IMHO. :)

And:welcome: to SCoA!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Last month my Smart Radio 10 began showing the message, "PHONE/NAVI", which I cannot get off ...
This is usually triggered when audio is detected on the pins for the incoming phone/navi audio channel. My bet is that pin C8 in bent or shorted in some way on the back of your Radio 10. While this model shouldn't acknowledge it, I bet that's exactly what's happening, and it's muting to allow the other device to play.

·
Administrator
29,529 Posts
Hey, thanks Skippy :)

I have a Garmin unit and was wanting to mount it on the dash anyway....

Now I can mount it AND attach it to the radio :D

I just LOVE this site :p
By the time you pay for all those adapters from Mercedes you'll have enough invested to have bought two or three Garmin GPS units. :wink:

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
By the time you pay for all those adapters from Mercedes you'll have enough invested to have bought two or three Garmin GPS units. :wink:
Yea, I'm sure you're right :D

BUT....I'm going to inquire about price anyway.... I'll let y'all know :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts