Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had removed the radio to find out why my mp3 wasn't working and while putting it back together i thought maybe i could finally make the radio bezel fit properly. it still does not at the top by the gauges...there is a gap, i have pushed pulled jiggled slapped and it still will not fit snug and rest on the top of the dash. i can see the 3 pegs that go into the holes. i am at a loss as to how to get rid of the gap.

can someone give me an idea of what else i can do

thanks guys (08 with 9 radio)

oh, while we're at it i will probably feel stupid for the answer but i have not been able to find an explanation anywhere. when i push the menu button it shows LOLD (on or off)......what is that?

·
Registered
386 Posts
oh, while we're at it i will probably feel stupid for the answer but i have not been able to find an explanation anywhere. when i push the menu button it shows LOLD (on or off)......what is that?
The radio is LOLing you then sticking out it's D in lieu of spitting out a CD at you.....

Or it could be to turn Loudness on and off.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean by loudness......the radio compensates for outside noise and adjusts the volumn by itself?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
It changes the dynamics of the sound for loud music such as heavy metal, or soft music like classical so to say. With the stock speakers in a smart, you probably won't notice much difference. I am sure it was built in to the radio and is of more use in other applications.

don't know what to say about the gap, I know mine was tight without a gap that I noticed. My current car has an aftermarket radio.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i had removed the radio to find out why my mp3 wasn't working and while putting it back together i thought maybe i could finally make the radio bezel fit properly. it still does not at the top by the gauges...there is a gap, i have pushed pulled jiggled slapped and it still will not fit snug and rest on the top of the dash. i can see the 3 pegs that go into the holes. i am at a loss as to how to get rid of the gap.
If your gauges were added after the fact... there are two small notches which need to be trimmed from the bezel to clear the gauge mounting bracket.

So did you solve the issue with playing mp3s?

~toaster

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there aren't any notches so i guess thats the answer. i can tell the radio is a junk yard radio with grease pencil/marker writings on the radio chassis. yes i got the mp3 to work the cable was hanging down (i asked in another post what a yellow plug was for that i found hanging down and no one responded) so i tried it.

is there anyway to tell if the gauges were added after the fact other than no notches?

·
Registered
333 Posts
is there anyway to tell if the gauges were added after the fact other than no notches?
Check out this page showing the installation of the pods (gauges):

Installing pods

About 2/3 of the way down the page you can see the bottom of the bezel where they cut out the notches. There are already small indentations in the panel, they just need to be trimmed as shown.

~toaster

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Makes sense. That would leave a space above the radio if it wasn't trimmed. I had to do the same when I installed my rear cargo net in the back of my 2009.

·
Registered
386 Posts
what do you mean by loudness......the radio compensates for outside noise and adjusts the volumn by itself?
Basically what Jim said, if you look at older Stereo components you will see a button marked either Loud or Loudness. Pressing this button typically boosts bass response to compensate at lower volume levels. It's not a common thing on car stereos, typically you just crank up bass instead.

Most folks like loudness on though those like my wife who do not like a lot of bass in their music don't

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you gentlemen i will look for the cut-outs to remove. once i replace my blown spkrs maybe i can enjoy so crisper sound (got the bass and treble turned all the way down)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found the cut out and used my dremmel. tried the bezel and it still did not fit. so i looked at the inside again and found another cutout much bigger and is barely noticeable unless you really look for it in very good light. so cut this one out and it fits nicely now. only thing i can think of is they must have had two different size gauge bases.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
There are two different gauge clusters - one pre-2011 and one 2011 and later. Bases are different. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts