Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard both the standard radio and the upgrade option that includes additional speakers? Would you advise others to choose the upgrade option? Does it sound a LOT better?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't need the changer ... everything is on my mp3 player, so I was worried they wouldn't have the AUX. I'm getting the standard speakers and will see how they sound.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I also am curious about the "smart premium sound system". I have not received my conformation yet so I was wondering if it was worth the money or not. Has anyone been able to test drive a car that had it and was able to listen to it?

·
Registered
570 Posts
You would be better off getting the better system for the simple fact that the standard system only comes with two speakers. Pretty much the car would be like a boombox. The upgraded system comes with at least tweeters and I THINK a sub. I personally cant live without a good sound system of a car and its well worth the money. If you like music at ALL than its worth the extra money.
To Lewis.... I have experienced none of what you said is present in the smart, but I guess when you compare apples to oranges there sure can be a difference. Its no S Class, but its still a Mercedes! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say you will need to upgrade

Has anyone heard both the standard radio and the upgrade option that includes additional speakers? Would you advise others to choose the upgrade option? Does it sound a LOT better?
I was at the Knoxville road show and managed to remember to bring a CD to play during my test drive of the single disc player in a Passion. There were many distractions during my test drive buy I remember that the CD sounded awful. What I'm not certain about was whether that was due to the quality of the radio or the speakers or both.

I later did a second drive in a cabrio that had the upgraded sound system but I forgot my CD. Dang! but I did ask the Smart dude to tune the radio while I drove and it sounded better. He said the subwoofer is below the driver's seat but I didn't have time to look at it.

What I wish was that you could upgrade the speakers without upgrading the radio. I have no real desire for the six CD changer but when I got my invite to configure this week, that still isn't an option. It is either base CD player with two speakers or six CD changer with subwoofer and additional speakers. I am not that picky about my car audio, but I upgraded my stereo. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
If in doubt----- I recommend the full upgrade to the Radio 10 with all 5 speakers---- two tweeters, two midrange and one sub....

All the wiring, and mounting is done... .... if you think the system is too muddy, too tinny, or just flat...then for not much green you can change out the factory speakers to better quality same size "bolt em right in"

If needed, add a modest mono amp to power the sub... not to hard nor very costly.....

I am not talking about making a Sound Pressure Level competition system....

You would be amazed at the deals you can find in Pawn shops on this kind of stuff...wink wink

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
One other nice function of the upgraded system is that it also plays MP3 discs and displays the song/track text on the screen.

So even smartInDever with all those MP3's might be liking the idea that he can burn a couple disc and basically have a built in 3.5 GB mp3 player (700mb cd's x 6).

Also I fully agree with Fredvon4 in that getting the upgraded system if nothing else to have the wiring already done for you is worth it. I myself got the upgraded version, but am upgrading the speakers in the doors to give more bass as well I will try to get at the tweeters in the dash to upgrade those. As for the sub I'm actually still talking with people in Europe to get me one of the sub's that go in the passenger foot area. If nothing else the box/enclosure that comes with that sub makes it worth buying as while its an option to put big sub's in the rear I'm liking the stealth aspect of the sub in the passenger foot area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts