Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to some of the high end sound systems done by others this is no big deal, but I'm happy it was as easy as everyone said to swap the Radio 9 for a Radio 10. :)

Thanks to garys out in Oregon for a great offer on his Radio 10; that will be payed forward shortly with our Radio 9. Kudos also to Kane and his Evilution "DIY" page on the 451 radio swap -Cheers, mate!

Some photos in the audio gallery. At first listen the Radio 10 seems to have better sound than the 9; will need more time with it to really compare (changing radios under a tornado watch is not the best of environments!) AM reception seemed pretty crappy (the sound, not the programming which is universally crap [IMHO, of course] :))

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Ah good, you should be able to answer my question.
I keep reading about the radio 10 6 disc changer.
Is this an external changer or all in the stereo?

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah good, you should be able to answer my question.
I keep reading about the radio 10 6 disc changer.
Is this an external changer or all in the stereo?
All internal; as soon as power went on it started hunting for discs. Very similar to the one in our 02 Subaru. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Compared to some of the high end sound systems done by others this is no big deal, but I'm happy it was as easy as everyone said to swap the Radio 9 for a Radio 10. :)

Thanks to garys out in Oregon for a great offer on his Radio 10; that will be payed forward shortly with our Radio 9. Kudos also to Kane and his Evilution "DIY" page on the 451 radio swap -Cheers, mate!

Some photos in the audio gallery. At first listen the Radio 10 seems to have better sound than the 9; will need more time with it to really compare (changing radios under a tornado watch is not the best of environments!) AM reception seemed pretty crappy (the sound, not the programming which is universally crap [IMHO, of course] :))
The radio 10 in the Pure I bought sounds soooo much better than the 9 in the Passion even without the extra speakers. Glad to see it went in well. Still need to get you the license bracket

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'll be doing this today, sounds simple enough
I did the upgrade a while back. Mighty easy.

One quick note. Be careful of that T-20 screw behind the button bank. If you have a magnetized bit, it would help to "catch" the screw. Don't let it drop down the console.

GL!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I dropped it, in fact, and retrieved it with not much problem. The floor of the dash seems to be made up of reinforced paper mache, much like egg carton material, and movable...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Done!

Wow was that easy, and 1,000 times worth it!! The radio sounds great!!

I ALMOST dropped the screw, but I pulled out some tweezers and retrieved it from where it was lodged. The rest was a breeze.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Really it does sound better? I even have Infinity speakers with my radio 9. If it improves the sound...I can't wait. Thanks to the SCOA member who sold his to me. It arrives Wednesday afternoon.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Really it does sound better? I even have Infinity speakers with my radio 9. If it improves the sound...I can't wait. Thanks to the SCOA member who sold his to me. It arrives Wednesday afternoon.

I haven't checked the specs, but since the radio 10 has a "loudness" feature I'm guessing it has more amplifying watts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Done!

Wow was that easy, and 1,000 times worth it!! The radio sounds great!!

I ALMOST dropped the screw, but I pulled out some tweezers and retrieved it from where it was lodged. The rest was a breeze.
Whoo ho!

btw I realize that the quality of MP3 plays a huge part in the playback. Try not to adjust the equalizer when you transfer the MP3s over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been having nightmares about that since I read the instructions :p
Just go to your local hardware store and buy a telescoping pole with magnetic tip. This makes it easy to retrieve something you have dropped or to hold it in place, via the side of the screw, to get the screw to line up with the hole and screw in place. I put some aluminum foil below the screw hole in case I dropped it. Easy to shape to make a little trap for it. That will keep it from falling into the abyss.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just go to your local hardware store and buy a telescoping pole with magnetic tip. This makes it easy to retrieve something you have dropped or to hold it in place, via the side of the screw, to get the screw to line up with the hole and screw in place. I put some aluminum foil below the screw hole in case I dropped it. Easy to shape to make a little trap for it. That will keep it from falling into the abyss.
But that takes all the fun out of it! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW, I used a Torx 25 to remove that screw and it held it tight enough while moving it out of that space. The Torx 20 also fits but I read on here somewhere that it is a Torx 25 screw?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too dropped the Torx T25 screw holding the radio surround in whilst fitting an AUX lead to the back of my Smart Radio 9. We didn't spend too much time looking for it and I ended up pinching one from behind the button panel to secure the radio surround which was the most important.

I bought a magnetic pickup tool and tried to retrieve the missing screw without taking it all apart but couldn't locate it and gave up.

Anyway the good news is that my main dealer found the part number of the screw I lost its N000000000815 priced at 96p from main dealers here in the UK. YMMV.

So if you lose it and can't find it just get a replacement!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts