1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been looking at Seicane for quite a while now, agonizing over the purchase. Eventually I decided against in favor of ATOTO on Amazon. I couldn't tell you now why I finally came to that decision because once I commit I put the decision making process out of my head to avoid obsessing over it any more than I already have. I think it came down to responsiveness and active support of the mfr, features, and some odd recurring quirks/annoyances in reports from Seicane buyers that I suspect would make me crazy. The latter was stupid stuff like things not resuming from last on startup and volumes resetting with each startup, usually far too loud.

I'm in the process of installing the ATOTO A6 now, taking my time to do it right instead of throwing together some mess I'll regret later. I'll report what I find when I do. So far I've just checked fit, which looks good with a Scosche kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you going to make that ATOTO fit, custom housing? Does not look like it will fit into the factory opening. I would like to see your installation when its all done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How are you going to make that ATOTO fit, custom housing? Does not look like it will fit into the factory opening. I would like to see your installation when its all done.
There is a slight alignment issue with the Scosche brackets (about 3/16" too high) that might be an issue with the placement of the threaded holes on the radio chassis and the panel gaps on the Scosche dash panel could be better, but space isn't even remotely an issue. I'm going to slot the beefy plastic of the Scosche brackets to drop the radio a bit and it will all come together nicely. Nothing is wired yet, this is just a fit test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My goal to this whole thing was to get most, or at least 'some', of the capability and flexibility of a modern infotainment system and better-than-stock sound as cheap as possible. I have built quality systems before and I was under no illusions that this would be one. I just wanted decent for cheap. Although, now that I have just that I've gotten excited enough by the improvement that I'm fighting off the urge to dump money into a quality system.

OK, so the alignment issue sorted itself out somewhere along the way. The Scosche bezel just needed a little coaxing to get it sitting right. The ATOTO unit is under-powered enough (CPU/RAM) that moving from one function to the next is ponderous and annoying, but once it's in the swing of things it does fine. It's got some cool features (gesture control, phone mirror and control, "unlimited storage devices") and the power output is decent for an integrated amp. I connect it to the hotspot on my phone to access various streaming services, install apps, etc. The older Android version is a bit of a bummer as some apps won't install, but the ones that would be a make-or-break do, so it is just an annoyance.

The doors got some 6.5" and the tweeters went up on the dash. Got some cheap but surprisingly decent Scosche 6x9s from Walmart. Filled the trunk cavity with poly and screwed it shut with some duct seal under the lid. Between the speakers and ATOTO unit's power I could probably be satisfied with the system as it is, but I've got it in my head the amp and subs I've got sitting on a shelf have to go in because why not?

The ATOTO has a trigger for a backup cam, so I got one. Even as small as it was I hated the idea of it hanging off the license. It never looks good. I couldn't think of a good way to do a nice integration and keep it waterproof, so it went inside. You can see it at the top of the rear glass just to the left of the wiper motor. I would have liked a wider FOV, but it's OK. The switch by the head unit is to turn on the rear cam at will.

The OBD splitter is because I had a OBD tach installed on top of the instrument cluster and I wanted to run a Bluetooth OBD reader for using Torque Pro on the head unit.

ATOTO, backup cam, OBD splitter, Scosche kit, Pyle component system, Scosche 6x9s, misc wiring & hardware - $450

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone seen this radio or installed it in a smart? Thoughts?

Once I get the motor figured out I may look at that radio.
Apparently no one on the site has used it.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
7 Posts
I actually installed a Seicane unit in my 2008 a few years back, and I love it.
They sent the wrong adapter at first, but sent the correct one a few days later.
I just bought a 2016 fortwo to replace my 2008 (see classified listing) but since it has the factory JBL I won't be able to do anything like this Seicane unit again.

Jim in Hollister

·
Registered
2008 451 coupe body/ interior with 2013 engine and trans.
9 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts