Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Rain-X Lattitude wiper blades on another car. I really love them.

The Rain-X site,
Rain-X Wiper Blade Selector Guide
has an easy selector guide that allows me to order Rain-X Lattitude blades for a specific car.

However, the smart is not listed on the Rain-X selector guide site.

What are the sizes of the left front, right front and rear wiper blades on the smart passion 451?

Thank you.

P.S. I will be embarrassed if it is as simple as measuring the length of each wiper blade end-to-end.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We bought silicon blades two years ago and they are the best blades we've ever used. They are still like new and aren't damaged by ice/snow like regular blades. They also aren't as noisy, and when you factor in how long they last they cost a lot less too ;)

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I have a set of Rain-X Lattitude wiper blades on another car. I really love them.

The Rain-X site,
Rain-X Wiper Blade Selector Guide
has an easy selector guide that allows me to order Rain-X Lattitude blades for a specific car.

However, the smart is not listed on the Rain-X selector guide site.

What are the sizes of the left front, right front and rear wiper blades on the smart passion 451?

Thank you.

P.S. I will be embarrassed if it is as simple as measuring the length of each wiper blade end-to-end.
take a good look at how your wiper blades mount. unless you plan to just duct tape them to the arms you need to get the right mount type. Belive that VW is using a very similar system probobly the same supplier they are somewhat unusual.....
karl

·
Registered
763 Posts
My salesman said the blades are the same as Mercedes uses on its other cars. I had the RainX blades on another car too and loved them. Check the RainX site for mounts etc. for the Mercedes models and see what they say. You may have to go to Mercedes or Smart for blades. But look closely, they approximate the way the RainX Latitude blades work.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Another option, I know Toyota uses the same type of mount, at least it's the same on my parents Avalon. May open some other possibilities. Also, replacement blades are listed for the '08 smart at Rockauto.com.

·
Registered
570 Posts
These blades are the high end Bosch blades that you see on other Euro cars, they are spring less and cling directly to the windshield. Bosch was the first ones with the design and infact Rainx copied it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Finally found some Rain-X wipers for the smart. I used the 2008 Volvo XC70 as a guide since they closely match the smart's wipers. The attachment isn't quite as compact as the factory blade, but still looks OK. I didn't buy a factory set from smart because my original wipers failed after only 5 months. Bosch ICON's are my favorite blade, but they're not made for the I&L arm attachment.

Here are some measurements and photos for comparison.

Factory Blades
Right 530mm (20.875") (Full Assembly (21.5")
Left 578mm (22.75") (Full Assembly (23.125")

Rain-X Latitude 2
Right 546mm (21.5") (Full Assembly (22")
Left 597mm (23.5") (Full Assembly (24")

·
Registered
810 Posts
I need to amend my tentative recommendation of the Rain-X Latitude wiper blades in my post above.

A couple design flaws have affected performance over time and after several months of rain use the wipers no longer perform a clean sweep of the windshield. The rubber airfoil at the top of the wiper has a gap in the middle which, over time, has changed the blade contact from even to uneven pressure. My blades now act like an inverted W with less pressure in the 1/3 and 2/3 points and greater pressure at the ends and center. The results is a frustratingly uneven wipe which skips large portions of the windshield.

Also, the snap-in adapter has come loose and the blade can fall off when raised for cleaning. Although the blades cost much less than the smart OEM replacements, I would not buy them again.

I have now moved on to a second alternative, the Michelin Optimum's (originally called "Radius") which are at WalMart for $12ea. The Michelin's are a frameless design with a single-piece airfoil, contact is very even and smooth. If these continue to wipe evenly, without developing a noisy stutter like the original smart blades, I will be very satisfied.

Still hoping to find a Bosch Icon blade that fits the smart.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I'm sure those Rain-X blades are good, But so far these blades are the best blades I have ever had. I love the stock blades so I'm in no rush to find aftermarket blades for the smart

·
Registered
810 Posts
have now moved on to a second alternative, the Michelin Optimum's (originally called "Radius") which are at WalMart for $12ea. The Michelin's are a frameless design with a single-piece airfoil, contact is very even and smooth. If these continue to wipe evenly, without developing a noisy stutter like the original smart blades, I will be very satisfied.

Still hoping to find a Bosch Icon blade that fits the smart.
Well Bosch finally had an Icon wiper blade which attaches to the smart. The 463 & 464. Here's some photos of what they look like and I'll report on how they work when it rains in a couple days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts