Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RainX instructions say do not use it on plastic unless approved by the manufacturer. Searching the forums, I see that at least one user has used it on the clear roof. Has anyone else had success with that? How about other plastic parts like the headlamps? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I would use other polishes on the clear plastics versus the rain X You can get the same effet without risking harm.

Try; Klasse All in One or Novous No. 1

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
RainX instructions say do not use it on plastic unless approved by the manufacturer. Searching the forums, I see that at least one user has used it on the clear roof. Has anyone else had success with that? How about other plastic parts like the headlamps? Thanks!

Regular Rain-X for glass windshields will fog plastics really quickly. They do make a "Rain-X Extreme" formula for plastics (Lexan and Plexiglas), or there's a product called Plexicoat from AeroShell that's specifically made for plastic aircraft windshields and windows. (of course, being made for aircraft, it's expensive...)

Since my car is a Cabrio, I obviously don't have the panorama roof, however I've used RejeX on my headlamp covers with great succcess.

·
17,384 Posts
I hear Turtlewax ICE and Rejex work great also... I don't know how they'll work in the rain...

You might want to invest in brake dust protectant, these cars snow brake dust.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Use of Rainex & Similar Products on plastics:

I would definitely not use these types of products on plastics. First of all, they are alcohol based and alcohol is an astringent as well as being a solvent. The alcohol will be absorbed by the plastic and the panel will start to craze and deteriorate. This may be the reason some owners have experienced roof crazing? I use products that are only recommended for plastics and do not contain alcohol.:smartje:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Products like?
Please tell me, I don't want to kill it...
Like the afore-mentioned Rain-X Extreme and Plexicoat, as well as Cycle Care's "Formula 3," which is safe for acrylic and polycarbonate motorcycle windshields... Cee Baily's makes similar acrylic/polycarbonate cleaners for aircraft windshields.

http://www.cyclecare.com
http://www.ceebaileys.com

Pretty much any cleaner/protectant that is designed specifically for acrylics and polycarbonates will work on the roof without damaging it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
eric, i wrote rainx customer service asking the SAME thing.. and all i got was a generic "thanks for contacting us" email, and no follow up or otherwise definative answer from them. its been over a month now.

i used Turtlewax ICE on my body panels to great results. except.. the rubbing of the panels with a micrfiber (polyester) cloth generated a great static electric charge, and dust is attracted like crazy to the clean panels!!

Turtlewax ICE - good beading and shine on the black panels.

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
eric, i wrote rainx customer service asking the SAME thing.. and all i got was a generic "thanks for contacting us" email, and no follow up or otherwise definative answer from them. its been over a month now.

i used Turtlewax ICE on my body panels to great results. except.. the rubbing of the panels with a micrfiber (polyester) cloth generated a great static electric charge, and dust is attracted like crazy to the clean panels!!

Turtlewax ICE - good beading and shine on the black panels.
I bought Turtlewax ICE and my car was like a big oil slick. I don't understand why it didn't work for me. It didn't film like they said and all I was left with was a oily nasty car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I recently applied Rejex after reading several threads on here recommending it, and I like it alot. I was able to get it at my local (as in closer than any of the 6 close-by auto parts store) Ace Hardware. Make sure the car is VERY clean, and it'll go on easily and works great in the rain and makes keeping the car clean real easy. Just use a microfiber towel and a spritzer of clean water to wipe of any dirt. I even used it on the wheels, works well there also.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,695 Posts
Back in the day I used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 17 on my convertible windows and found it to a great product. It appears that among their new offerings is PlastX, a more advanced cleaner/polish for today's high tech polymers.

I'd call Meguiar's at their Contact Center 1-888-888-3143 and ask them what they might recommend

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Plastic Cleaner:

I use a product called "Speed Clean" that is ozone safe, no cfc's and is anti-static. You simply spray it on a clean surface and wipe it off. They warn you not to use paper towels on plastic as they tend to scratch. Instead, they recommend a soft terry cloth or micro-fibre toweling. If you have any questions or want to know where to acquire this product, e-mail them at: [email protected]. I know that Restoration Supply in the San Diego area sells this product. It is a milky colored liquid like most of the other plastic cleaning products. I use it on the top and headlights on my passion coupe. You can also use it to clean the instrument cluster faces and the faces on the tach & clock pods as well.:toot:

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I've been using Rejex, ever since jwight recommended it! Easy application, long lasting, makes the car easy to clean. I use a spray bottle of ProtectAll wash and a microfiber towel to wash it, no hose and wasted water; and ProtectAll polish on the lexan top of my Passion coupe

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've been very impressed with the coating used on the exterior of the smart's Makrolon AG2677 polycarbonate roof. After 16 months exposed to the elements, the top looks like new, with no crazing. My smart is not garaged, parked mostly in the sun, and cleaned weekly.

I avoid glass cleaners containing alcohol or ammonia, and treat the top with protectants designed for paint/clearcoat rather than glass. Collinite Super Doublecoat #476s is my current protection of choice, maintained with Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal. When the car is very dirty or has sap on it I use Z-7 Show Car Wash, but usually clean with just water.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For exterior plastics 303 Plastic Protectorant - designed for aircraft windscreens. Goes on similiar to Armor All. On the Makrolon roof any good polymer product - Rejex, Meguiars NXT, ICE, etc. works great.
RainX for the windshield/windows only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts