Smart Car of America Forum banner

5601 - 5620 of 5640 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Maybe you saw the NBC Nightly News this evening. Maybe not, no matter ... I'll paint the story for you.

Covering the Powerball drawing: Reporter standing outside (for some reason) says a dollar bill is "point oh oh 4" (that's 0.004) inches thick, and that 800 million of them stacked up would reach "8 feet less than outer space". Good grief!!!!

As if "outer space" can be delineated so precisely that you can say you're "8 feet below" outer space! Anyway, according to the figures offered, your stack is 50 miles high, which isn't 8 feet less than outer space, but more like 10 miles less by even the most lax definitions.

I'm not so sure that 250 dollar bills stacked up are only one inch thick either, but I'll accept that for now, since I don't have a micrometer handy. I think they're thicker than that.

This is getting so frakin' stupid. Why, oh why, couldn't the reporter have simply stated the stack of bills would be about 50 miles high? nuff said, quit with the B.S., particularly when you can't even get the B.S. right. Are you getting your data from YouTube comments? Were you fired from Faux Noise for stupid comments?

Jeepers, that source for info didn't come from "the Donald" did it?:D

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Maybe you saw the NBC Nightly News this evening. Maybe not, no matter ... I'll paint the story for you.

Covering the Powerball drawing: Reporter standing outside (for some reason) says a dollar bill is "point oh oh 4" (that's 0.004) inches thick, and that 800 million of them stacked up would reach "8 feet less than outer space". Good grief!!!!

As if "outer space" can be delineated so precisely that you can say you're "8 feet below" outer space! Anyway, according to the figures offered, your stack is 50 miles high, which isn't 8 feet less than outer space, but more like 10 miles less by even the most lax definitions.

I'm not so sure that 250 dollar bills stacked up are only one inch thick either, but I'll accept that for now, since I don't have a micrometer handy. I think they're thicker than that.

This is getting so frakin' stupid. Why, oh why, couldn't the reporter have simply stated the stack of bills would be about 50 miles high? nuff said, quit with the B.S., particularly when you can't even get the B.S. right. Are you getting your data from YouTube comments? Were you fired from Faux Noise for stupid comments?
Unlikely source - if you are looking for math-challenge folk better try MSNBC!

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Mocos are boogers, in Spanish. Are they the yellow or green variety?

Those crazy Hawaiians.
Not Green, Not Yellow (although yellow is a wonderful color,) and certainly not boogers! But they are good enough to warrant their own restaurants, stands, and are served in decent restaurants.
They are a bowl filled with rice, a piece of meat or protein, a fried egg, brown gravy with grilled onions, and sprinkled with Sriracha hot chili sauce. I prefer a piece of black bean burger as the protein. Cut it up and enjoy.
I don't know the story behind this delicacy (like the story behind the Hawaiian love of Spam (which I also like.) Anyone out there know the story?

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Unlikely source - if you are looking for math-challenge folk better try MSNBC!
Just what the forum needs....political bs! Making a partisan political comment concerning a light hearted non political comment is not wanted here. I only quoted one side but it goes equally to both sides.

Let's get back to boogers....:eek:

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Just what the forum needs....political bs! Making a partisan political comment concerning a light hearted non political comment is not wanted here. I only quoted one side but it goes equally to both sides.

Let's get back to boogers....:eek:
Since I am the "other side" I guess I should have a right to respond. If my comment regarding a certain "news" organization is what got feathers riled, I apologize to all except KRA. But I really didn't, and don't, see my comment as being political. Not all of my acquaintances are the same side of the aisle as I am. But, we're friends none-the-less. In friendly conversation it has on multiple occasions been made clear that the media outlet I derided is no more respected by my conservative friends than it is by me, perhaps even less because this media outlet claims without justification to represent their interests, and by all accounts fails miserably at the attempt. I've got some smart friends of the conservative ilk. They aren't led by the nose.

Boogers are equal opportunity offenders.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
No....yours was the light hearted non political comment. The political comments were the ones about the Donald (which was only slightly political) and then MSNBC (which was getting more political.)

But yes...boogers are equal opportunity offenders...but Loco Mocos are not at all offensive (unless you have a sensitive stomach or used too much Sriracha sauce.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Sorry, I forgot some feathers were so easily ruffled. When someone pokes, they should in nowise be surprized when others poke back. Forgive, don't forgive -- let your conscience be your guide...

Nothing I said should be taken particularly seriously -- I had to look back to see what could have been so offensive! Still; if someone doesn't want to hear it, don't start it! And if you start it, don't be so shocked you get a little back!

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Somebody needs to revive this thread ...

I'd spent the past year pretty much sedentary. So, about a week ago I decided I needed to change that and started walking every day. Ouch, even one mile makes my legs hurt. Which is proof that I needed the routine.

Today, on the final leg of my walk I was attacked by a dog. I'm uninjured, thankfully. I reacted instinctively, shouting at it as it lunged at my face, which I don't think it was expecting. And when it jumped into the air to snap at my face again, I punched it in the chest. It fell to the ground on its back and its owner came out of his yard yelling at the dog, with a 2x4 in his hand.

Well, the experience added to my walk by increasing my heartbeat a bit more and getting the adrenaline pumping. Now I have to think of some kind of protection when I walk. :-( Further up the road, a cat was calmly wandering across the road. And I remembered why I like cats better than dogs. And a bit of anger toward dog owners who don't control their beasts. Hell, they're a serious annoyance even when contained, with their barking turning a peaceful walk into a tense encounter.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I'd spent the past year pretty much sedentary. So, about a week ago I decided I needed to change that and started walking every day. Ouch, even one mile makes my legs hurt. Which is proof that I needed the routine.

Today, on the final leg of my walk I was attacked by a dog. I'm uninjured, thankfully. I reacted instinctively, shouting at it as it lunged at my face, which I don't think it was expecting. And when it jumped into the air to snap at my face again, I punched it in the chest. It fell to the ground on its back and its owner came out of his yard yelling at the dog, with a 2x4 in his hand.

Well, the experience added to my walk by increasing my heartbeat a bit more and getting the adrenaline pumping. Now I have to think of some kind of protection when I walk. :-( Further up the road, a cat was calmly wandering across the road. And I remembered why I like cats better than dogs. And a bit of anger toward dog owners who don't control their beasts. Hell, they're a serious annoyance even when contained, with their barking turning a peaceful walk into a tense encounter.
dogs are also the bane of bikers -- when you hit them your front wheel goes out from under you (been there done that!). It's not as bad as hitting a pig, but it's bad. A good squirt out of a water bottle also gets their attention! Owners CERTAINLY have the obligation to keep them under control and out of the road, if not they are FULLY liable. Glad you are OK!

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Many decades ago, when I was a teenager on a bicycle, a dog bit me on the calf. It was on a route I needed to follow regularly. I did a little bit of research and found a suggestion to carry a water pistol filled with ammonia. I got my arms up, and wouldn't you know it, that dog never bothered me again so I didn't get a chance to test its effectiveness.

Maybe I need an ammonia pistol now. I know a very bright flashlight works pretty well at night too. But, my walks aren't so much night time. I'm glad today's dog didn't just run up and bite me on the leg. It would've been a very different outcome.

My apology to dog lovers, I'll never share your passion. Dogs are noisy vegetables, potentially dangerous critters and utterly worthless in my view. Protection? Yeah, or rip your children's arms off. "Oh, he never hurt anyone before he ripped that kid's arms off".

Pitt Bull owners are the most obtuse. My younger sister is one of them.

They only attack people if they've been abused, my ass.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/pit-bull-attack/

·
Registered
493 Posts
I own a large chunk of property , wooded mostly and walking the hazards are few, but we do have TICKS, and occasionally a wild animal or two that could be a threat.
Anyhow, i remember way back when delivering papers I carried a squirt bottle filled with ammonia mixed with a bit of water and a drop or two of dish soap .
a Spritz on the boots and bottom of the pantlegs and the ticks stay away and wont jump on you.... and if you come across that dog.. a good straight shot(stream) in the snout will deter any agressive encounter. Make it strong enough , but not straight..
steveg

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Many decades ago, when I was a teenager on a bicycle, a dog bit me on the calf. It was on a route I needed to follow regularly. I did a little bit of research and found a suggestion to carry a water pistol filled with ammonia. I got my arms up, and wouldn't you know it, that dog never bothered me again so I didn't get a chance to test its effectiveness.

Maybe I need an ammonia pistol now. I know a very bright flashlight works pretty well at night too. But, my walks aren't so much night time. I'm glad today's dog didn't just run up and bite me on the leg. It would've been a very different outcome.

My apology to dog lovers, I'll never share your passion. Dogs are noisy vegetables, potentially dangerous critters and utterly worthless in my view. Protection? Yeah, or rip your children's arms off. "Oh, he never hurt anyone before he ripped that kid's arms off".

Pitt Bull owners are the most obtuse. My younger sister is one of them.

They only attack people if they've been abused, my ass.
Pit Bull Attack
Sorry to hear about the malicious dog!!!!

When I was young I was riding my bike in Palmdale with cousins and racing. We saw a dog down the street chasing and barking at a truck making a left turn! Freaked out I slowed down with my rear back pedal brake. (At high speeds this causes a nasty vibration), which caused me to fall and break a couple of ribs as I landed on the end of the handle bar. (Should have slammed it in hindsight as a locked wheel doesn't do this!) Had to go to the ER and take a x-ray and blood test, but no other treatment was necessary. To this day once in a while I'll get pain in that area, if I bend/twist a certain way...

We currently have a dog. My son picked him out. (Not all dogs are bad. It seems if you walk them diligently they aren't bad when they see strangers. They get used to seeing them on their walks I guess, chihuahua short hair mix here....)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love when the neighbors that don't have a job, insurance but have SNAP cards to feed the Pit bull that deposits in my yard. Is America great or what?

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Hampton Beach NH is coming to life. There are more stores, restaurants and arcades opening up for spring. In winter when there are few people there, parking is free. There is a McDonald's at Hampton Beach that is only open when local school is out (opens the day after and closes the day before school). :)

·
17,384 Posts
Indeed. Miss Tesla and I are building a high end gaming PC this weekend. Any data that needs speed will be on the SSD, and anything that doesn't will be on a 2TB HDD. :)

5601 - 5620 of 5640 Posts