Smart Car of America Forum banner

5621 - 5638 of 5638 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I'm been using my MacBrook Pro with a 1T SSD since 2013. I know, I know it's an Apple product. But, still a fine machine and been running for over 3 years so far.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I long for the day when the "next big thing" makes computer HDDs as obsolete as 8-Track tapes.
Can't be too long, SSDs have done that for many uses already.
A couple of my PCs have had SSDs for a couple years. I'd have to have the pockets of Putin to replace my 40+TBs of HHD space. We're a LONG way from replacing HDDs for mass storage.

I'm afraid I'm too old to live to see the day.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Heh! :)
Naw, they said on the boob tube yesterday that he's the world's most wealthy human being. Gates came in second.
Huh, can't catch an STD if you're the richest man in the world? Dang, I should work harder!!! Probably turn a billion years old before I even get a billion dollars, but....

We should have Bill Gates, #2 , take out Putin. I always thought he was #1 in the first place... (Pull some <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL> on his PCs or something...)

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I imagine Putin could contact an STD.

He could also afford a few Exabytes in non-volatile RAM. That's just a bit out of my price range, pocket change for him though.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I imagine Putin could contact an STD.

He could also afford a few Exabytes in non-volatile RAM. That's just a bit out of my price range, pocket change for him though.
One thing I excelled at compared to the other adults in the household was math. This was because after I finished Biology at USC, but failed to get into medical school like they did, I went back for Computer Engineering. (I ended up dropping out, but finished all the math requirements before I did so, with flying colors to boot!) I don't remember the prefix Exa, Zil, as in zillion I have, but not exa. Must be something new as I haven't been practicing the fancy stuff I couldn't understand for a while now. (One math class I remember all I was doing was regurgitating answers, or the pattern of solutions to get the answers. The professor sent a student last day before the final my email address. He had missed the review session and the professor knew I'd have the "solutions/study guide". Unluckily I was having trouble "faxing" him the review material and I didn't verify if he'd received it. I still feel bad about it until this day. It's been about 16 years now...) :D

·
Artz-smart
62 Posts
Should of gone to smart Ann Arbor

I took my smart to a Liberty Mutual approved collision repair facility, I should of taken it to smart of Ann Arbor.

Man am I a fool, no so smart.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I don't remember the prefix Exa, Zil, as in zillion I have, but not exa. Must be something new as I haven't been practicing the fancy stuff I couldn't understand for a while now.
It's been about 16 years now...) :D
An Exabyte is 1,024 Petabytes, or 1,048,576 Terabytes. It's a buncha digital data, heh. Then comes Zettabyte and Yottabyte (named after Yoda). There doesn't look like they've come up with a name for a larger unit ... perhaps there's no conceivable need for one (yet).
https://addarr.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/terabyte-petabyte-exabyte-zettabyte-petaflop/

P.S. I was last enrolled in college 36 years ago, and took a vocational course in programming 32 years ago. So, my neurons have more cobwebs than yours do, LOL.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
An Exabyte is 1,024 Petabytes, or 1,048,576 Terabytes. It's a buncha digital data, heh. Then comes Zettabyte and Yottabyte (named after Yoda). There doesn't look like they've come up with a name for a larger unit ... perhaps there's no conceivable need for one (yet).
https://addarr.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/terabyte-petabyte-exabyte-zettabyte-petaflop/

P.S. I was last enrolled in college 36 years ago, and took a vocational course in programming 32 years ago. So, my neurons have more cobwebs than yours do, LOL.

I guess "cobwebs" grow faster when there is a lot of fighting, I mean debating, in the family, like mine has. . But in all honesty I never knew of these terms before....

Thank you for the nice explanation!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Got a new Random Thought.

At my Mother's house, two TV sets, perhaps 30 feet apart, same cable TV connection, same channel selected ... there's a full two second difference between them. Explain.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
As part of my computer tech duties for the County School System I also used to maintain all the T.V's in all the juniors highs and high schools. Now the cable feed would enter the school building(s) from the same spot. And the signal was attenuated with an amplifier to boost the signal accordingly and taps were used from a trunk line to distribute the signal to each classroom which had a wall mounted TV. Also the system in addition to regular cable used a system called channel one that is educational programs and student news that was piped in from a satellite dish at the individual school. The way it worked was at a predesigned time the channel one system would turn every TV on for morning news and then after that the system would turn the TV's back off. When the channel one system was on every television was in sync. The larger school librarfies had multiple TV's in them and the channel one was always synced, but when you used any other channel it was on the cable and it was always out of sync from TV to TV and it wasn't just the normal audio delay from TV to TV , it was video out slightly too. Our local cable company said an out of sync situation was to be expected if you had the cable box on top of your set because due to adjustments and tolerances in the box itself each could possibly process the digital signal at different speeds. So I can accept that, except that in the school system there was no top of set boxes, it was all inside the TV's. NO wonder I retired and bought a Smart Fortwo. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,049 Posts
It's the same situation with a lab of computers. You can have 40 identical computers in a lab feeding through the same network and bank of switches that feed from the same server. You can have a child at each computer and tell them to log in (most of our labs had the same password) and each child would hit enter at the same time and none of the computers will log on at the same time. The same thing if you tell them all to go to the same web page and even if it's a proxy system the machines all react at a different time with some lagging others.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
How come it's only obvious to the Chinese man. It's made in China "the"!!! (Is it spelled thu?)

TV YY:MM:DD HH:MM:SS
1 YY:MM:DD HH:MM:00
2 YY:MM:DD HH:MM:02

Made two seconds behind, and the doppler effect....

Chinese superiority! (I mean inconsistency...)

My wife and I bumped into a "computer" person at a party. She said she was responsible/in the microprocessor creation portion, more specifically for "etch". She explained this was the process of taking a large silicon wafer and designing the process to produce as many chips on that one wafer as possible. She said that they had to prove that their method would work to make the "circuitry" inside the many chips that would come of it, that their goal was to get as many chips out of the wafer as possible.

Once she noted this, it kind of started to fit together: I was studying CECS and had a friend who would like to overclock CPUs when possible. It is interesting to note that there is inconsistency as to how much you could over clock, by slowly cranking up the voltage applied, to each CPU. You would incrementally increase the voltage until the system would crash, and then dial it down a step. I guess depending on where on the wafer you'd get your chip from, there are better ones, and then there are not as good ones, due to this process of "etch", read fast, or slow.

So some TVs process each frame more than others. Some will upconvert to a higher resolution. This may take time as it tries to fill in the empty spaces to make a more beautiful picture. But then how come it doesn't get more and more behind as time goes on? Ehh....

Funny I remember Channel One. I also seemed to remember they were pretty much in sync as noted, but my school was relatively small, about 400 students small.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
. . . the process of taking a large silicon wafer and designing the process to produce as many chips on that one wafer as possible. She said that they had to prove that their method would work to make the "circuitry" inside the many chips that would come of it, that their goal was to get as many chips out of the wafer as possible.
Now that is some breakthrough stuff! Might explain why my sluggish vacuum tube TV is still getting first run M*A*S*H episodes . . .

Kind of fond of chocolate wafers with milk. Chips, got a bag of those - Geezer may need a new TV?

Cathode ray tube, Sputnik, transistor radios, reel to reel recording, Walkman and Betamax - doesn't seem like all that long ago!

Seriously, thanks for sharing as it does explain the signal lag from room to room being delayed by the processor.

5621 - 5638 of 5638 Posts