Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The prior owner of my 2017 453 Prime Cabrio hit something with the oil pan which also cracked the upper oil pan. The dealer replaced the steel oil pan and the upper aluminum part of the pan which required pulling the engine and transmission. Now I notice that at low speeds there is a plastic sounding rattle coming from either the left quarter panel or the rear of the driver's door. The noise is most apparent the the top is down and the roof pillars are removed. Has anyone experienced something like that and were you able to fix it? The repair took over a month so the rattle may have been there before and I just don't remember it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and record it. The noise sounds like it may be coming from the area around the air intake for the engine and is noticeable at idle (mine has always had a bit of a rough idle). The sound is outside the car or at least I'm pretty sure it is.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Check the bottom of the door where the exterior plastic panel (“skin”) covers wraps under towards the inside of the car. The exterior door panel forms a “groove” that the bottom edge of the door slides into that needs a solid fit. If you grab the bottom of the door plastic and wiggle it back and forth, there should be zero tolerance. If you can make it rattle, the wind will make it rattle like crazy at highway speeds. In my case, I added a piece of weather strip inside the bottom plastic groove on the inboard lip and stopped the crazy rattle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I discovered that the dealer left four+ screws holding the rear panel on. They also forgot to put a bolt in the heat shield on the eying you can see through the vents in the rear bumper. Took it back and made them fix it. Not pleased...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts