Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought we should come up with some ideas for some RC smart Racing.

Assuming we go with a stock and modified class, whtever modified is, I don't know.

Stock:
No changes to car. Run as is out of the package, custom paint and cosmetics allowed (?)

Modified:
different motor
Different tires/suspension
Different chassis
Should use smart body (?)

Track
A) oval track
B) road course with multiple turns, obstacle cones or ??

open to ideas.
Since there are only 2 channels, Red and Blue, heads up racing probably won't work. What do you think? I don't have much experience in RC..

·
17,349 Posts
For stock:

Head to head (red vs. blue)

Modified:

As many as you can get without screwing up frequencies.

For tracks, maybe a road course wouldn't be so good. The stock RCs don't turn that that well so you'd have to have wide curves.

Project Black has a completely different chassis, but wears the shell. So the only requirement for the modified series is that they have the smart shell.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just got my Smart R/C for christmas!
Not sure if I will make the Dells or not, if I do you guys are going downtown to china town!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh great!! another TURBO thread,,, Just kidding. I can just imagine all the goodies you will have on your RC! It will probably be the most modified one around, Can't wait to see it (hope you can make it to Dells)

As for the road course, nothing wrong with a little backing up action if it is needed... Could make it fun...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Guys I REALLY want to go....the thing is:
My wife has a baby due on June 25th. :spots:
Cutting it pretty close, I am gonna have to play it by ear!

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Different Driving surfaces will make a BIG difference with these cars.

I still think around the Pool would be best. Best laps around the pool still dry win

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think your work is already done... I'm SURE she'll understand.... Just got to figure out why my wife keeps hitting me when I make remarks like that....

Not sure where a good spot would be to set up some type of course, I was thinking some baby cones and maybe a few tight turns that would require backing up to get around them. Maybe like on a basketball court or tennis court?? Around a pool could get pretty wet.. At least when I am driving..

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Last time I checked, if memory serves me right. The hotel next door to Indian Trails was closed, leaving an empty parking lot.

·
17,349 Posts
I'll drive it...Project Black is still the second fastest RC on the road (whoever gutted the Team Losi car has the fastest)...

As for different driving surfaces: Be careful, that block (where the drive gears are) and the fake tires create a huge traction problem on different surfaces. If you can manage a mostly clear course with some dirt action you'll be fine though.

+1 for pool road course. Those who fail go for a swim...:naughty:

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have bumped the on-off switch going through doorways.

Maybe we can use dixie cups for cones, fill them with some sand and seal them to keep from any wind blowing them around. If they get hit, it shouldn't do any damage, just a loss of points or time penalty. Or a dip in the pool...

·
Registered
412 Posts
The track is gonna be tricky no matter what, I still don't understand how a car 6 inches long can have a 10 foot turning radius!

·
5,297 Posts
The track is gonna be tricky no matter what, I still don't understand how a car 6 inches long can have a 10 foot turning radius!
depends on the driver! watch the videos on Insider hee hee hee

one can adjust the front wheels turning radius with a breakdown of the little one and adjusting the spring....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just tried it and I can make just under about a 4 ft circle (diameter) with a stock unit.

But I agree, you'd think it could turn a tighter circle than that. Maybe anothe rmodification. Tighter steering arms or ??

*** just looked underneath while turning, the back of the wheel gets almost touching the back of the wheel well. Might need a little radiusing in there...

·
17,349 Posts
I wouldn't fool with that spring. Just before I converted MiniNeon I into Project Black I tried to correct the steering issue. The spring no likey to be repositioned.

But if you've noticed, the cars turn really well in 1 direction. I've managed to make MiniNeon II do a cheerio and a sharp turn WITH its trailer! :)

·
5,297 Posts
I wouldn't fool with that spring. Just before I converted MiniNeon I into Project Black I tried to correct the steering issue. The spring no likey to be repositioned.

But if you've noticed, the cars turn really well in 1 direction. I've managed to make MiniNeon II do a cheerio and a sharp turn WITH its trailer! :)
Mine did very well after the spring adjustment.
took at least 3 times to get it right, but it can be done.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts