Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
A bolt head holding 8mm of material thickness in a counter bored hole is probably stronger the 6-8mm of thread depth holding in the hub.

The bolts holding the rim to the adapter have a full 20mm of thread depth - so no problem there

·
Registered
465 Posts
In other words, the threads are likely to shear in the hub before the bolt pulls through the steel of the adapter.

thread strength is 170ksi - but the shear strength is only as strong as the weaker material - I don't what the yield strength of the forging is, but not likely as strong as the bolt

1080 steel is 110ksi - which is less, but it has greater thickness to shear through.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The adapter ones are made out of 6061 T6 aluminum, which only has a yield strength of 37ksi. I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable using them. You also run the risk of galvanic welding and corrosion from the steel bolts threaded into the aluminum.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The adapter ones are made out of 6061 T6 aluminum, which only has a yield strength of 37ksi. I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable using them. You also run the risk of galvanic welding and corrosion from the steel bolts threaded into the aluminum.
I've run multiple sets of both spacers and adapters made from aluminum for years. Never had an issue. I have 20mm aluminum spacers on the rear of my 450 for 3 years. No problems. Lots of war stories floating around told by internet scholars.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've run multiple sets of both spacers and adapters made from aluminum for years. Never had an issue. I have 20mm aluminum spacers on the rear of my 450 for 3 years. No problems. Lots of war stories floating around told by internet scholars.
Well, if the aluminum ones are good, steel will definitely be good.

I have no issues with aluminum spacers; they're sandwiched, so no risk of pull through or bending.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am new to this thread, I just recently bought a 2015 Smart and am looking for new wheels,
Do you have any pictures of how these look on your car?

I may be the strange guy since after reading through this thread and people are worried about 20mm wider.... LOL

I currently have 15x4.5 ET24 fronts and 15x5.5 ET22 rears and OMG the car is overhanging the tires a full 50mm (2")
I have been searching for wheels that can be used with small flares and sit flush with the flare. I think the Genius 17x7.5 still needs a 25mm spacer.
To achieve rims with the same backspacing as stock and sit flush with the body would require an 8" rim with ET32 on top of the 19mm 3 to 5 lug Adapters plus an inch!
All 17x7 or 17x8 5x112 rims I find have ET32 or more which would require a 45mm adapter!
What a Smart Car needs are 17x7 ET0 front 3x112 and 17x8 ET-10 Rear 3x112.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you for the reply.
Like I said I guess I'm the odd ball out or un realistic guy.
I fell in love with this HotWheels looking Smart at the LA Auto Show and my dream is to re create it.
This Smart has a Wide body, 17x9.5 fronts, 17x 12 Rears! Custom made Avante Garde wheels.

Attachments

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,238 Posts
@Smart car. If you would like to take a look at my gallery, you will see what I have done to my '09 Brabus coupe. I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners with Hankook 215/35-17 tires all around. I have Eibach wheel spacers on both ends, with 20mm on front and 30mm on rear. The tires are flush with the fender edges and the suspension is all stock Brabus. I like the car you referred to, but that is way out of my pay grade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Awesome loo!
Now you see what I was talking about. In the earlier threads guys were talking about 15x6 rims sitting out too far????

I se what you have 17x7.5 with 30mm spacers, Just what I was talking about, actually I fell in love with this HotWheels looking Smart at the 2016 LA Auto Show.
It has a Wide Body and 17x9.5 fronts and 17x12 rears! I want to re create this look on my 2015

Attachments

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,238 Posts
The wide body looks really good and I would like to do something like that to my car, but being on Social Security and 72 y/o kinda prevents that in this lifetime. I don't care for some of the mods on that car, especially the two color wheels, but all in all it really is well done. Please keep us all posted on what you decide to do on your car. We all love pics of mods around here. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have just completed my STAGE ONE Mods to my 2015 Smart ED.
It is hitting high likes on Instagram from @ExtremeWheels_

Check out my garage and gallery pics, Be honest and LAUGH about it. I intended to take the silliest car in the world (Smart Fortwo) and turn it into a rolling hit around town.
This is my daily driver and after only 1 week of driving it I broke several peoples necks as they gawked at it!

I have the Mod listed in my gallery but feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
I'll figger this car out
211 Posts
Terrific stuff! I am interested in putting 165-80x15 tires on my car, same all around plus a spare hung outside. Do you know whether I must lift the car to do this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Terrific stuff! I am interested in putting 165-80x15 tires on my car, same all around plus a spare hung outside. Do you know whether I must lift the car to do this?
Strelnik, I do not know what size tires you have on now.
My Smart came with 15 x 4.5 rims and 155/60-15 front, 15 x 5 rims and 165/55-15 rear.
I used an online calculator like this one:
It helps with tires choice by keeping the diameter the same you don't effect the speedometer or mileage.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts