Smart Car of America Forum banner

(Re: low battery) Blinking wrench, -1, won't start

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperGeek 
#1 ·
I got in my smart a little while ago to go to the store and it decided it didn't want to start today.

It's not cranking, I turn the key and I get a couple clicks and then it goes to beeping and flashing the single wrench and a -1 where the mileage is.

It was fine yesterday, no trouble whatsoever. It is 22 degrees F outside but I've stared ok on colder days.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
I got in my smart a little while ago to go to the store and it decided it didn't want to start today.

It's not cranking, I turn the key and I get a couple clicks and then it goes to beeping and flashing the single wrench and a -1 where the mileage is.

It was fine yesterday, no trouble whatsoever. It is 22 degrees F outside but I've stared ok on colder days.

Any ideas?
With the clicking noise, sounds like a dead battery. Got jumpercables or get a new battery

Also possibly pull up passenger floor mat and check cable connections are tight

#4 ·
11.7 is a little low, does it crank now? Were the voltage readings taken with the charger connected or disconnected? If they were taken with the battery disconnected, replace the battery. With just the accessories on in pos 1, a 1.5 volt drop is significant. How long was the charge interval?

#5 · (Edited)
But that wouldn't make it not start would it? Be kind of silly, how would you get it serviced if it won't move. lol
No THAT (the wrench) wouldn't do it, was just explaining what it was :rolleyes:

At 11.7 volts it's SHOT! :sorrysign:

Open Circuit Voltage Approximate State-of-Charge at 80°F
12.65 - 100%
12.45 - 75%
12.24 - 50%
12.06 - 25%
11.89 - or less DISCHARGED

#11 ·
I have had similar problems - waiting for the dealer to swap out original battery for a stronger one. It seems the factory battery is not strong enough for use in colder climates. Do a search on "battery" and you will find several people have had the batteries replaced. Guess the factory does not want to issue a recall and is handling the issue on a case by case basis. Many on this board are using trickle chargers or upgrading batteries to Optima red top 34R. When my battery is replaced (still waiting for a clamp to arrive from smart), I will post model # (I hear it is an Interstate model).

#12 ·
I put mine on a charger for about 10 minutes at 6 amps until it showed nearly done, then 2 amps for about half hour. This morning started at 11.7 volts. Yesterday - same time, same temp - it was at 11.1 volts. Maybe 4 miles isn't enough to charge back the energy used for one start cycle? I looked at the manual's battery section again and it does state that if you have lots of short trips you may need to visit the dealer more often to have the charge checked. Maybe I need one of those solar trickle chargers... 5 watts oughta do it, right? It's a small car. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.