Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody in here looked into the cost of spraying some new color onto a 453?
Ours bears a lifetime of battle scars from Manhattan, so in order to make it look better: it's probably easier to just spray the whole thing!
Since it's going to become a "Toad": we also figure that a color change is in it's future.
Does anybody have an opinion on using a Maaco shop for this?

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42798&stc=1&d=1566574872

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42800&stc=1&d=1566574872

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you thought about a wrap? The MB dealer in Madtown did a couple to "move" their inventory. I'm thinking of changing my Tridion on Minimus Prime to Olive Green or Orange.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Ditto, just do a wrap. If the body part gets damaged, you can rewrap that area again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought about that; but I have wrapped other vehicles.
Does anybody know of a shop in the Mid-Hudson region of NYS that they'd trust?

EDIT: I found a place in Kingston, NY that appears capable of the job
Artcraft Vehicle Graphics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Post pics if you have it done, Bob. Wraps are pretty convincing ways to change color and a helleva lot cheaper. You could even change it again down the road.

·
17,372 Posts
Oooooh, if I were in your position I'd totally get a wrap on the blue panels that matched the brown on your RV, then leave the tridion as-is. I love colour-matched toads. :D

Side note: I would never use Maaco for a job I'd want to last for a while. I've heard they can do a decent job, but that's not something you'll find out until it's too late. My brother got his Cavalier's colour changed from pink to black. The car looked awesome for maybe about six months (brand new, even), then the paint literally started peeling off in sheets.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D I'd say that "Great minds think alike.": but I'd never want to insult you like that!
That's exactly the color scheme that we're hoping to get done...:wink:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'd love to get the tridion on my 453 wrapped, if not for the sole fact that I will NEVER..... EVER get another car with WHITE on it EVER AGAIN! Yes, the blue/white combo looks slick as hell, but it's a pain to keep even REMOTELY clean. HAVE to sponge it down to get the white tridion back to being a nice and very shiny white. Tried using my pressure washer yesterday with a foam cannon nozzle, first rinsing, then soap, then rinsing the soap off. Wiped it with a sponge once.... ONCE, and could see the difference. So i did a quick wipe-down of the entire car, because what the hell?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that you should probably tie-down all four corners of the car...
It'd be a shame to roll it over into the neighbor's back yard!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts