Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 ForTwo (93,000± km) has been showing the orange light after about 8km of driving. Pull over, switch off, and restart, all good for another 8km. The Benz mech diagnostics came back Steering Angle Sensor. Mercedes dealer came back with Nil Stock Worldwide for Part # MB-A4515400517 and a price of $A950± when they're home.
Questions:
Will the car be drivable with the sensor disconnected so it doesn't light up the dashboard?
Is the sensor repairable?
Being a modular car, with parts from many suppliers, does anyone know if the manufacturer of the sensor produces them only for Smarts, or for other cars, too? ( I ask because I bought parts from a Japanese supplier for the Mitsubishi-engined models when MB-Australia wanted more than double the price).
Graham

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Graham,

This may be an obtuse question, but have the steering wheel and yaw sensors been calibrated? It’s possible the angle sensor, clock spring and/or yaw sensor under the seat are faulty, but if they are out of calibration, the same fault can be generated.

With a Mercedes Star Diagnostic, the procure takes only minutes, although if you take it to a dealer, they are likely to charge you for an hour of labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Graham,

This may be an obtuse question, but have the steering wheel and yaw sensors been calibrated? It’s possible the angle sensor, clock spring and/or yaw sensor under the seat are faulty, but if they are out of calibration, the same fault can be generated.

With a Mercedes Star Diagnostic, the procure takes only minutes, although if you take it to a dealer, they are likely to charge you for an hour of labor.
Thanks, Vadsoom. I'll take a look at that.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My local repair place did a multicable angle sensor/yaw sensor to correct my steering angle. Then my single turn stalk worked for cancelling turn signal.
Good to know. I was I an aware that a wheel calibration could affect the directional signals.

In my case, my 2008 would engage the traction control when taking even mild left turns above 30mph. I have a MB Star (this issue was part of the reason I bought one) thinking there was a yaw sensor problem. The yaw sensor needs to be “learned” By the SAM to recognize the new part. As soon as this procedure was finished, Xentry (the MB Star software) indicated the angle sensor was considerably out of calibration (probably the real cause of the problem) and guided me through the steps to recalibrate (car on level ground less than 6°, center the wheel, turn full left, turn full right, etc). I have not had the problem occur since.

It’s my understanding and that the steering wheel angle sensor can be significantly out of calibration without reporting the discrepancy to the SAM and generating a fault code. I doubt that a generic OBD reader would be able to detect the fault as seems to be MB specific.

In any case, with the proper tool, it was an easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts